Yomi-O's now with 200% more fireballs (v3 wishlist)

Also just to be clear ven-Midori is Midori advantage. There is no need to consider that matchup for the purposes of his changes.

1 Like

Honestly same.

2 Likes

You are so 100% wrong about this. Ven dumps all over Midori. Iā€™ve wrecked Leontes every time weā€™ve played a set of the mu.

1 Like

This raises an interesting point: In roughly what order should we be making and testing changes to characters? It seems like the top-tiers have to come first so that we can fix whatever parts of them lead to bad dynamics, but after that?

It would make sense to test little tweaks before giant overhauls.

Also, rather than just a shuffling/tightening of the tiers, Iā€™d like to see some new characters come out in v3, now that we know they exist in the Codex realm.

4 Likes

Right it must be that Midori has the dominant throw, the dominant attack, the dominant block, and the dominant dodge. Thatā€™s probably where ven wins it.

So youā€™re just theory crafting that he wins it? Midori has the dominant attack, throw, dodge (whatever that is), and possibly block vs Rook and he still loses that mu.

Ven wins it because of how front loaded Midoriā€™s combos are. There probably isnā€™t many other mu where Ven avoids more direct (as opposed to indirect) damage with acro then vs Midori. In addition since Midoriā€™s power is concentrated into a few cards it makes losing them to acro even more painful. In order for DF to do much Midori doesnā€™t just need a few face cards he needs many to get through the acro.

A good way to play against Midori to begin with is to disrespect him, at least in human form. Ven can play disrespectful better than any one else and he can take that disrespect into DF.

Once Ven secures KD he probably has the dominant throw now and Ven K loops are terrible for human Midori to deal with.

Venā€™s problem of needing specific cards and drawing funky hands his greatly mitigated by the slow pace that Midori plays through out the early to mid game. This allows him to draw more acro and anything else he needs.

This thread is really popping off these days! Weā€™ve got a playerbase that is as unhealthily preoccupied with totally hypothetical things as I am, itā€™s good to see. :slight_smile:

You have a good point. The issue, as you already discussed, is that when Midori can get DF that easily, his moves in DF have to be nerfed A LOT to compensate. Which stops him from feeling like the occasionally overpowered Dragon we all know and love. What if we made the ability more costly, while still keeping it uncounterable and able to be powered up for:

A* - Dragon Form - [Draw Phase] Discard another Ace to attach this card to Midori and it gets: Ongoing. You can play Dragon moves. Discard this when you lose combat to a throw.

Interestingly enough, thereā€™s actually little to no reason to think Midori shouldnā€™t be able to use any moves he wants without ending DF - in fact, he already can! Midori can combo and dodge into any human attacks or throws without ending DF. I have found that new players get confused by this rule, ā€œif Midori can combo into these and stay a Dragon why canā€™t he use them in combat and stay a Dragon?ā€. This is almost certainly a case of this rule having been a certain way for so long that we as players forget that itā€™s not all that intuitive. If it had been the other way from the beginning, we would likely feel that the current ruleset is wrong. Imagine if Sirlin decided that Geiger couldnā€™t reveal normal attacks or throws in TD because it only makes sense for Time Spirals to function during ā€œTemporal Distortionā€.

Gameplay-wise, Iā€™d argue itā€™s one of the healthiest buffs you could give Midori. The better his draws are, the less it helps him. If his draws are poor, Midori can better justify going into Dragon Form as a bluff/mindgame to scare the opponent into a less threatening range, since he can at least do what he was already doing.

1 Like

I am also really pleased about this, the MU discussions this thread has prompted are really interesting.

@ClanNatioy @niijima-san My own personal thoughts on Ven Vs Midori are that Ven without acro is completely screwed vs dQ. It literally shits all over everything he wants to do except block, and he dies in about 3 combats without jokers. As soon as ven has acro though the situation is much better. Venā€™s in a pretty nice place to disrespect midori with prejudice and make him waste his good cards while threatening big damage if his hand is also large. Itā€™s not the best thing that both these characters are so stochastically problematic, as I can imagine the match feeling like a crapshoot from either side.

Something like that *could* work for DF, though I find it kind of inelegant, at least on first reaction. Maybe dragon form is good enough to be worthwhile two aces though. I guess Iā€™d need to think about it a fair bit and see how it tested.

While I canā€™t really disagree with you from a logic point of view, honestly the more I think about it the less I want to change midori (outside of buffing glimpse) without more insight into his advantaged matchups, in particular against Gloria. From my personal experience using midori as a Gloria CP, he absolutely destroys her unless she can manage to land Sun and Moon. dQ is so unbelievably strong in that matchup that his slow, inconsistent build up doesnā€™t even matter.

This last fact solidifies my thoughts on the matter of stochastically troubled characters like Midori, Vendetta and Valerie. Iā€™m probably repeating myself here (itā€™s Easter long weekend and Iā€™ve been drinking) but their woes are best served by nerfs to the top tier, who all share good damage per card and a much more consistent game plan. Thats not to say this type of redesign is unwelcome, in fact within this thread it should be explicitly encouraged.

2 Likes

Iā€™d probably go about it like this:

1. Consensus Nerfs to Troq/Zane/Geiger/DeGrey
  2. Quality-of-life changes and character reworks (only changes for reasons of elegance/intuition/flavor/logic, ignoring balance as much as possible)
  3. Add new characters?
  4. Identify matchups that are probably worse than 6-4
  5. Minimize the # of mus worse than 6-4 as elegantly as possible

For #1, I think balance changes that have a very high consensus are:
Zane - MA 0.3 speed
Geiger - TD ends from any hit including Gold Burst and loses +1 damage to Spirals effect
DeGrey - MHG doesnā€™t affect AA
Troq - AA 1.2 speed, remove J ability

For #2, examples include limiting War Stomp to once/turn, Shenanigans triggering before the opponent chooses whether to facedown, Rook special block changes, etc. Then rework whoever we want reworked, the characters most often brought up being Jaina, Midori, and BBB.

4 Likes

Iā€™d agree with a fair amount of that order, with a few caveats because the changes donā€™t happen in a vacuum. Iā€™ve tried to be as concrete as possible here.

My Reasoning

:zane: is the most important character to nerf for the most other characters, so he has to be the starting point. It makes sense to nerf :geiger::degrey: with him since he dumps on them pretty hard.

Where is :troq: you ask? Well Iā€™d actually suggest we leave nerfing and testing him to step 1b, when we already have a :geiger::zane: in mind to compare him to. Iā€™d suggest we also take a look at :setsuki: when we do :troq:. Sheā€™s already strong vs a lot of the cast so itā€™s important to evaluate her strength in a world of top tier nerfs. Iā€™ve seen a fair amount of people suggest she shouldnā€™t be able to recycle 7s with 7* and I donā€™t imagine her changing much outside of that, maybe also an AA damage nerf. Because :troq: has always been her toughest matchup it makes sense to look at them together.

Buffed :rook: special blocks are fairly consensus and actually quite important to test along :geiger: so I would table those fairly early on. I reckon it makes sense to implement :argagarg: changes to bubble shield here too because it interacts with :rook: fairly strongly.

The other thing we can do very early on is identify characters who we expect to stay almost exactly the same, to use for testing. Right now I think this would definitely include :grave::quince::gloria: but maybe also more. Having :quince::gloria: on this list is fortuitous since they have bad matchups vs :geiger::zane:. It also helps to have :gloria: here to help assess a healing clause to :argagarg: bubble shield.

Imo we would ideally want to be fairly confident weā€™ve addressed the existing bad matchups before we move on to introducing new characters and the chaos that will likely bring. So for now lets assume thatā€™s possible and make a tentative plan:

1. Primary Nerfs / Buffs
    a. Nerf :zane::geiger::degrey:
    b. Nerf :troq: and assess :setsuki:
    c. Buff :rook: special blocks, Tweak :argagarg: bubble shield
    d. Maybe spend some time evaluating the above characters with each other and the stable pool (:grave::quince::gloria: others?)

2. Secondary Nerfs / Buffs / Quality of life / Reworks (Order is less concrete here)
    a. Assess :lum::onimaru: (thinking specifically of :argagarg::degrey: here)
    b. Assess :midori::bbb: since theyā€™ve been mentioned a lot
    c. Make sure weā€™ve also checked :valerie::menelker::persephone::gwen::vendetta:
    d. Rework :jaina: (potentially developing Anachist Jaina alternative deck)
    e. Anything else Iā€™ve missed

<ā€” Be really happy weā€™ve got to Yomi v2.5 (!!!) ā€”>

1. Add new characters (only a small step obviously)

2. Testing of new and old characters for bad matchups

3. Try to find elegant fixes for identified bad matchups

2 Likes

I canā€™t believe after all this time you guys still think that .3 is slow enough for Max Anarchy. .3 is not trickshot speed.

6 Likes

FWIW, I did suggest an alternative that makes Maximum Anarchy more flavorful a little less than a month ago, and a couple of suggestions related to it were made soon after by other people. Even if my exact idea isnā€™t used, something along those lines would probably be better than a barely slower version of the current move.

1 Like

Agreed. MA needs - at least - to be slowed to the point where it helps the characters that Zane gives the hardest time to.

2 Likes

Absolutely agreed.

I wasnā€™t sure who you were including in ā€œyou guysā€ but I for one really donā€™t think Zane changes can stop at a very marginal speed reduction to Anarchy.

People very often say things like ā€œThe only problem with Zaneā€™s design is MAā€ but thereā€™s not a huge amount of evidence Iā€™ve seen to support it. Anecdotally, I tend to see Zane ruining people with his massive damage efficiency off of meaty attacks. What I would really like to do is have some skilled players test Zane vs a bunch of the cast in a series where MA is banned. That way we would have some better data on the problem.

@Hobusuā€™s approach makes Zaneā€™s super more like the Bison super it was originally based on, by massively nerfing its damage to the equivalent of a ā€œget off meā€ move. He also suggested giving it an ability that resets all playerā€™s hands in some way, which is very like the version of MA implemented in Codex (a full board wipe including Zane himself).

Iā€™m pretty partial to this kind of change plus some nerfing of his damage efficiency (the least of which would be Meaties not benefiting from normal draw) as I reckon both sides of the Zane paradigm need to be hit with the nerf hammer to some degree.

2 Likes

That change to meaty attacks sounds interesting! Another thing Iā€™ve seen that might be worth testing is making Anarch Crusher (J) a 2 combo point move so that he has to make more of a decision between damage and knockdown.

3 Likes

Imagine putting all four Aces on the table only to be outsped by Graveā€™s TPoS. I wouldnā€™t wish that fate upon anyone, not even Zane. :^)

In all seriousness, thereā€™s a number of reasons why testing MA at 0.3 before nerfing it into the ground is a good idea.

Flavor-wise, Zane being the x.3 guy and having a 0.3 super is pretty cool.

Balance-wise, Maximum Anarchy is very relevant in the Troq mu and making it any slower than 0.8 would hurt that matchup significantly (the consensus Troq nerfs would definitely still leave the mu as worse than 6-4, especially if Zane is nerfed as well). 0.3 also happens to just barely undercut Grave TPoS and Lum Q, which is convenient since those characters arenā€™t getting nerfed and Zane would struggle against them after nerfs to his damage. And 0.3 MA already positively affects a ton of matchups where Zane is advantaged to varying degrees (Gwen/Perse/Arg/BBB/Geiger/DeGrey/Sets/Jaina/Val).

No matter what you do to MA, Zane is still going to wreck Gloria/Quince/Midori until you address his crazy efficient combo damage and KD. I also think that Zaneā€™s Crash Bomb is stronger than it was intended to be, and as a result Zane is a lot less weak to knockdown than he was supposed to be since his wakeup options are so good.

I would test three changes to Zane:
-MA 0.3 speed
-Jack 11 damage 2 CP Ender
-Crash Bomb canā€™t be interrupted except by knockdowns

The last change normalizes Crash Bomb to be weak to KD just like BBBā€™s Overdrive Long Arm, Oniā€™s Generalā€™s Armor, and Rookā€™s Rock Armor. In general, this will help reassert KD as a key weakness of Zane. Matchup-wise, Crash Bomb being interrupted by KD is also very promising since many of Zaneā€™s best mus have recurring KD attacks (Gloria Kh, Quince Pat Mirror, Perse Slow J, and BBB Cog Shot).

3 Likes

Imagine putting all four aces out for DSD, only to be outsped by Talon Swoop. I would wish that on everybody, because 50+ damage moves shouldnā€™t run the table. Plus itā€™s already a thing.

Troq is also receiving nerfs in this new version, with the included changes being AA to 1.2 and removing J ability, making Troqs response to Zaneā€™s biggest remaining power center - meaties - much less effective. Yes Zane will still lose the MU, but itā€™ll be perfectly reasonable. He doesnā€™t need a 50 damage speed dominant move to win, there or anywhere.

EDIT: by ā€œyou guysā€ I meant everybody, since Fenix listed it as a ā€œconsensusā€. Unless consensus means some new thing.

1 Like

Pretty sure the definition is just ā€œgeneral agreement,ā€ not literally everyone in the room. More to the point, I think itā€™s generally agreed that making it 0.3 is better than leaving at 0.0, whether or not thatā€™s enough of a change.

Unrelated to the rest of this discussion, Iā€™ve never understood why Troqā€™s J ability worked for both sides. Did he ever really need to be able to armor through normals on a 2.2 speed attack? Thereā€™s only a couple characters who can actually outspeed that with a normal anyway.

2 Likes

I feel this. If it were up to me Iā€™d make dodging into moves requiring 3 or more Aces illegal because itā€™s pretty lame/anticlimactic. But we have the game we have and 45+ damage supers are quite centralizing right now. We could address this a bit by lopping 5 or so damage off TPoS/BU/DSD/MA/FDB. Iā€™d be on board with that.