Yomi-O's now with 200% more fireballs (v3 wishlist)

I’m glad that we agree on so much here Jonny - lets me know know I’m not barking up the wrong tree with my call out for her systematically poor innate.

I definitely agree with your suggestion for slow J to be slower if we give it KD. The question is, should it be slower or faster than pilebunker. My initial thought is that something like 5.6 or 6.6 speed would let it undercut that monstrosity, while giving all the grapplers ranks of normals that beat it. But then again, I do really like the idea of it beating Crash Bomb too. So maybe it should be coupled with slowing down Crash Bomb to let DeGrey and Quince also blow Zane up if they play their hurtin’ bombs.

I’d also be up for slightly buffed Q. The 0.0 speed is sorely needed in her kit.

Buffing her buyback options in burning desperation sounds intriguing but I’ll need to mull that idea over before I know what I really think of it. Starting it at 40HP seems like a good plan though.

2 Likes

I feel like it should be slower than those options since I feel like its intended to beat Block/Throw while Pilebunker is designed to just beat Throw. Adding can’t combo might be a bit much, but I feel like just a recurrable 10 (10) knockdown that beats Block/Throw is pretty strong as is EARLY GAME and could make grappler matches too strong if she also comboed off it. It also gives her an efficient dodge follow up which she is lacking.

Yeah it could be too strong in practice making strong matchups too strong on her end, but I feel like while her dodge options are strong late game (15 damage 6 Throw, Aces, 13 damage Q, K+X) It’d allow her to be less worried about jokers due to how card expensive they are. Jaina throws are also card expensive late game.

I don’t really think slow J or Q need their stats changed - those would be changes with very big knock-on effects on her match-ups, I think. Besides, I like the distorted symmetry between her face cards and Grave’s.

The changes I like are:

• Buff Jaina to 90 hp (Burning Desperation either from 40 or 45)
  • Possibly reduce Burning Vigor damage to 2
  • Move 7* to 10*
  • Move 10* to J* and change it to the first edition version. Remove the power-up clause.
  • Make fast side of J 2.4 speed (little effect on most MU, but makes her less reliant on K and means it will actually be combat-revealed sometimes. Fireball stats with returning ability further “distorted symmetry” with Grave.)

I kind of wish it were possible to magically add a rank of blocks to her deck somehow, but I don’t think there’s a good way to do so.

1 Like

Move Knee Bash to T and make 6 A/B? Unless you guys want to have 5 ranks of throws, I haven’t really read the thread.

2 Likes

The problem with that is, Jaina needs at least one rank of A/T for her Unstable Power mixup.

Oh I see. I’m of the opinion that Unstable Power should be changed. It’s probably one of my least favorite abilities in the game.

1 Like

That’s interesting, why? I like the high risk/high reward mind game it sets up -and again, distorted symmetry with Knowing the Opponent.

She actually doesn’t need an A/T to make her UP work. If she didn’t have an A/T card she would just play an A/D or throw which is what she should probably be doing in most mu anyway.

2 Likes

I think I like it as a concept, but a lot of the time, I have found that it just ends up being a lame and uninteresting 50/50 between A/D and throw.

2 Likes

Well, it’s weighed, and somewhat matchup-spesific, but you definitely have a point.

Fenix activates Wall of Text
Good assessment hug0 and Jonny. I think a lot of the ideas are very good but allow me to play devil’s advocate.

Burning Vigor 2hp buyback is a big buff. It doesn’t seem like it when you think of it as Jaina taking a smaller % of the damage she deals, but when you think of it as a life increase in every game it is more obviously huge especially since Jaina already does pretty alright in most mus and probably doesn’t lose harder than 4-6 even in her worst mus. Even at 3hp per buyback Jaina should be buying back pretty often, especially straights and Ks which is something the rest of the cast only wishes they could do. 2hp per buyback probably equates to like a 10-15 hp buff in most games. In particular, BBB gets demolished by 2hp buyback Jaina and chars with more hp are hurt proportionally more too (read: grapplers). My prediction is that 2hp buyback Jaina would have to have 80hp and K reduced to one pump (so games where she finds 3+ Ks aren’t too dumb) to be in a good place.

If Smoldering Embers stays on 10 and is changed to return to hand from discard when the opponent dodges (which is a change I like), you should definitely not be able to powerup with it. If that were the case, once Jaina has 3+ Embers you’re basically saying “Jaina deals 6-8 dmg and gets 2-3 Aces whenever the opponent dodges”. Games where Jaina draws multiple embers would be very dumb. There’s more interesting strategies for dumping 10s when Jaina can’t powerup with them. For example, pumping them away to Q or Knee Bash.

Fast J is…abysmally bad as a combat-reveal. You don’t even consider it if you have K. If you don’t have a K and want to attack, why didn’t you play a normal attack so you can dig deeper into your deck (hopefully finding a K) and/or start a combo? If Fast J lands you get 6 dmg and wish you’d played a normal, if it’s blocked you still wish you’d played a normal. At 2.4 speed, even in the best mus for it (probably Grave/Geiger/Arg due to recurring/having lots of 2.4 speed attacks), I still think it’s so low EV that you shouldn’t play it even when lacking K. 2.2 is the speed at which Fast J becomes viable as a reveal imo. It helps vs. Mene/Grave/Geiger/Arg which is good, but it’s also strong vs. grappler Js which is unfortunate. Ultimately, I don’t think a Fast J buff is the way to go for Jaina.

I agree with cpat that Unstable Power is possibly the least interesting ability in the game and should be changed or tossed, though the concept does suit her flavor.

I gather that there are three main struggles for Jaina: lackluster dodge followups, too few blocks/throws, and vulnerability to 0.0 attacks in her endgame.

Slow J buff is a great solution to the dodge followup problem! I think 5.0 speed 10(9) dmg + KD would work wonders for her. It trades fine with Crash Bomb and now Rook/Troq can undercut it with 4-attack. If it turns out to be a bit dumb in grappler mus then we could make it 3cp starter instead of 2cp.

To address her scarcity of blocks/throws, making 10* return to hand from discard when it’s triggered and buffing Knee Bash to 3cp Starter (wowza current Knee Bash is so bad lol) is probably the best we can do. As long as she still can’t power up with 10s (which she shouldn’t be able to imo), I think of this as more of a quality-of-life change than a buff.

For addressing her weakness to 0.0 attacks, I think that just giving her a 0.0 is lazy. One idea I have is to connect Jaina’s 0.0 answer to Burning Desperation while also changing Unstable Power like so:

-Unstable Power is moved to 2* and is a During Combat ability that reads: “While Burning Desperation is active, you may take 7 damage to rotate this 180 degrees.”

This gives Jaina a potent but costly answer to 0.0 attacks during Desperation, which I think is thematically appropriate. The opponent has to blodge or play Rook/Troq K to come out ahead. If Jaina lands a KD, she has a mixup between 2* which beats everything but even block (and Rook/Troq K) and odd normal. Obviously strong, but I think it’s balanced by the fact that she has to be under 35 life to do it and it costs 7 life to rotate.

3 Likes

Should Jaina have x.4 speed normals? This seems like a pretty large buff, and I’m not sure she needs this?

I almost included this suggestion for Jaina in my analysis above. It would certainly improve her straights game and random footsies, but I don’t think it helps her bad matchups very much so it’s probably a lot of cards changed for not much benefit where it counts.

I really liked a lot of your post fenix, in particular shifting unstable power to a specific card is an interesting solution to the 0.0 speed problem - I haven’t been able to deeply think through the different MUs with it yet but its definitely something to test. I do have to disagree with the sentence I highlighted though. Jaina’s matchup with Geiger is super horrible. It’s one of the worst in the game, and definitely worse than 4-6 because every piece of his kit wrecks her day super hard.

I’d also like to say that I think BBB vs Jaina should be just slightly disadvantaged if it’s played right. Rather than worry about getting to range right away BBB can play a block / single A game that absolutely ruins Jaina’s day and opens up his way to get to range when she has to blodge. His 0.2 speed super makes her A risky and trades with Q/AA. His overdrive mixups are also very real. In short he has a lot of tools to make her life really unpleasant. Given that opinion, I don’t think 2HP/rebuy Jaina would wreck him to the extent you suggest but I guess it would need to be a MU we carefully test.

2 Likes

Oh man do I hate this. :confused: If Unstable Power as an ability is bad, it’s even worse when she can buy it back for 3 HP if it doesn’t work and this new version lets you play aces too. Being put on “blodge to avoid 2 into huge damage/duff throws to avoid huge damage” forever in the lategame is part of the reason Zane is such a problem for everyone.

2 Likes

Wasn’t she considered one of the best characters in the game in V1, because she had access to this ability at all times through her 10?

I’m wondering if Jaina doesn’t warrant a complete overhaul. What even is Jaina as a character? Rushdown? A footsies/neutral character like Grave? She has checkmates - is that what she should be about? Is she really a counterhit character?

2 Likes

Yes, I’d been wondering the same thing, though I wasn’t going to say it because the idea of trying to overhaul a character seemed like it could end up being even harder to get everyone to agree on anything… :sweat_smile:

IIRC, her current design comes from Yomi’s origin as a Street Fighter card game, with her taking Ken’s slot once Sirlin found out that he couldn’t get the SF license (this is all from what I’ve read on ye olde forum, so I could be wrong about the details, but that should be roughly correct). If you look at the two most recent games to feature her, Codex and Fantasy Strike, in both of them she’s focused around using her flame arrows to attack from a safe distance. She does have the option to rush down in FS as well, but so many of her moves in both games are built around zoning/ranged attacks that it’s clear that’s what she’s primarily meant to be. That really doesn’t come across at all in Yomi, as far as I can tell.

1 Like

It kind of does, actually, if you think of her as a character you’re terrified to throw, and who should be doing lots of block/reversal play. Which her current kit does actually support, in contrast to an innate-fueled rushdown playstyle. Her J’s are just bad except against grapplers/as power-up fodder/the occasional ender though.

2 Likes

More specifically, Jaina was so good because she could turn her 10s into Aces and checkmate half the cast if she had enough health.

5 Likes

I guess from that perspective it makes sense, though it’s still a flavor problem if her signature projectile move is so bad she shouldn’t use it against most of the cast as anything but a combo ender…

2 Likes