Yomi 2nd Edition Tier List: A Video

Made this video for fun, but figured it deserved its own thread here. Totally unscripted video and ended up way longer than I expected it would turn out but I hope you guys enjoy anyway :slight_smile:

A disclaimer that matchup charts for Yomi are more useful and that’s probably why a tier list video hasn’t been made but I figured it deserved one as any proper fighting (card) game should.

6 Likes

Can you screenshot the tier-list itself and post it? It was a little hard to find clips in the video where it’s visible.

1 Like

Good idea, added it in the post

1 Like

Good list imo. The only one I’m not sure about is Midori; I feel like I might put him in A-tier.

1 Like

I can see that. I feel like Midori has too many troublesome matchups to be in A + reliance on his 2 ability. But he’s a hard character to place overall because he’s so explosive

1 Like

MFW my 3 mains are all C-tier :see_no_evil:

2 Likes

Vendetta is the only character whose ranking I distinctly disagree with. I’d put him in lower B. I could definitely see Midori in A, though I get why you put him in B. Otherwise I agree with it

Personally, I’m interested to hear why people would put Midori in the same tier as Grave and Setsuki. IMO, there is a rather definitive split between the nine “good” characters (which migo has put in S/A-tier) and the eleven “not-so-good” characters (which migo has put in B/C-tier). While my list is probably slightly different (e.g. I think I’d switch a couple characters in the B/C-tiers, no big deal), I think that migo’s list is spot on with regards to the good/not-so-good split.

1 Like

Of the 9 characters in S and A, I think he has good to even MUs against all of them except Geiger, Zane, and maybe Grave. Is it his MUs against the characters in B and C that hold him back maybe? I could see that actually.

1 Like

I’m guessing part of it also has to do with how Midori tends to be pretty dependent on good draws, since a lot of his key cards only really work if you also drew other cards. If you never draw any 2s or 10s then your face cards are merely okay for the entire game, and if you draw plenty of 2s and/or 10s but never any Qs for example then you might have some difficulties. Leontes has said in the past that he thinks if Midori’s draws were more consistent that he’d be one of the top-tier characters.

1 Like

Sure. I’m factoring that in when I’m talking about his MUs. It’s part of what makes some of his MUs better or worse than others - his hands are more consistent in MUs where he can play for a longer game, for example.

I think it may actually come down to his MUs against the weaker half of the cast, which are on the whole worse than his MUs against the stronger half, now that I’m thinking about it more.

2 Likes

What are your opinions on the DeGrey, Lum, and Onimaru matchups?

I don’t really agree with this. I can only think of four matchups that Midori loses from the bottom ten: BBB, Quince, Rook, and maybe Persephone? OTOH, I think that Midori wins a good number of MUs here too (Gloria, Menelker, Gwen for sure, Valerie & Jaina as well?).

1 Like

Yeah, DeGrey is probably a 4.0 for Midori, that’s true. Lum and Onimaru I would put at 5.0 - maybe between 5.0 and 5.5 vs Lum.

1 Like

I agree with your estimations on DeGrey and Lum, but I think Onimaru beats Midori. Overall, I have Midori’s MU score at -3 or so on my matchup chart, which is definitely closer to the Vendetta/Quince range than the A-tier range IMO.

1 Like

In ~100 tournament matches, Oni/Midori is even leaning towards Oni (image). Overall, Midori is at 51% across the cast (image), vs 49% for Ven (image) and 47% for Quince (image).

2 Likes