vengefulpickle - @Cu3ert
3 - 2

:bbb: :psfist: :pschip: :vendetta:
:bbb: :pschip: :psfist: :vendetta:
:vendetta: - 5 :psfist: :pschip: :bbb:
:vendetta: - 10 :pschip: :psfist: :bbb:
:vendetta: - 5 :psfist: :pschip: :bbb:

EDIT:
Oops. I was typing this out as my 7-year-old was imploring me to come play a game with her, so I didn’t properly congratulate @Cu3ert. For not wanting to play BBB at all going in, you put up quite a good showing.

4 Likes

Caralad vs Ginorm

:midori: :psfist: :pschip: :troq: -15 hp Troq
:midori: :psfist: :pschip: :troq: -10 hp Troq
:midori: :psfist: :pschip: :troq: -10 hp Troq

Caralad wins 3-0

GG’s Ginorm, I’ll be waiting in Grand Finals.

4 Likes

Great set. I’m a little mad at myself as so many combats I pulled back my initial reveal and switched it and I would’ve been right. But to be fair, I was playing too read-based and not having a cohesive game plan.

We’ll have to chat more on the Troq v Midori MU sometime. The fact we think the other is favored think really speaks to the volatility of the MU.

In any case, hope I do make it back to GF to give it another go. But still a lot of great competition to have to overcome. I do owe MB a little payback.

3 Likes

I will say in the chance this tournament ever goes again,100000% the winner should set the new line, and there are lots of spots that show how brutal it is for it to be the other way around like this. It is a massive win-more edge

2 Likes

I was thinking that throughout, that as the loser I rather pick the side I want to play rather than set the line.

1 Like

I mean, I don’t think in that one set, it would have made too much of a difference in the end. Your big bid on Troq at the start tipped me off that you were happy to play the troq side of the MU, so my bids would have likely been somewhere between troq -5 and troq -10 to keep you in that MU.

Yeah, I was feeling the same after my set with @Cu3ert.

Nah I was happy to play either side. But I do think your experience on Troq is an advantage. So if you were going to be on it, I wanted you to have less life. And I get the feeling if I gave Midori the life disadvantage you’d just switch back.

Also I was speaking more on the perspective on the tourny as a whole. The winner gets to Counter Pick in a sense because they get to choose the character. So if the loser makes too big of a handicap, they get stuck with the handicapped side of the MU. The winner gets to pick what they think the most favorible side of the MU is post handicap which seems backwards in hindsight.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve loved this tourny format. Lots of thought goes into the process of handicapping. But thinking it might be better to swap who handicaps and who picks characters. Obviously we should continue as we have so far.

1 Like

Just want to say, I was going to give this perspective post-tourny as I didn’t want it to impact how people feel about playing it, because it’s an awesome concept. Since MB opened the door for discussion I thought it ok to give my perspective. But I don’t want to downplay anyone’s accomplishments in this tourny.

1 Like

hoenstly its just basic math that its a fact that setting the line is a giant disadvantage, linesetter has to try to make other side neutral on choice, picker picks the side that’s their advantage. By definition the picker will always pick an advantage. The best the setter can ever do is breakeven

3 Likes

Yup, if I’d thought though the cake splittin a bit more, it should have been clear that the side-picker had the advantage, and should go to the loser.

4 Likes

vengefulpickle vs @mastrblastr

:midori::pschip::psfist::vendetta: (MB sets :vendetta: - 3) - Ven puts the hurt on the dragon
:midori::psfist::pschip::vendetta: (VP sets :vendetta: - 5) - No acros were had
:midori::psfist::pschip::vendetta: (MB sets :vendetta: - 5) - Still no acros
:midori::psfist::pschip::vendetta: (MB sets :vendetta: - 0) - All the acros were not enough

GGS, @mastrblastr. It’s a bit unfortunate that I think this was another set which might have gone the other way if the CP rules had the winner set the line.

3 Likes

NopetheBard v Vengefulpickle
Mysticjuicer and Cpat ran commentary so it’ll be on YouTube tomorrow (or now depending on when you’re reading this)

Spoilers here

NopetheBard wins 3-0
:chibirook: > :chibivendetta:
:chibirook: > :chibivendetta:
:chibirook: -10 > :chibivendetta:
The last game had several moments where thought the game was over but it wasn’t. Mostly because of Acrobatics Bullshit.

Overall I had a great time. GGs @vengefulpickle

2 Likes

Nit: @mysticjuicer and @cpat

2 Likes

My mistake! Thanks for catching that

1 Like

Ivan vs ElZajonco - 3:0
:setsuki: :psfist: :pschip: :zane: Zane -10
:setsuki: :psfist: :pschip: :zane: Zane -10
:setsuki: :psfist: :pschip: :zane: Zane -5
GGs

5 Likes

Glad you guys got to play this! I hadn’t seen anything in your thread, so I processed it through as a forfeit for Ivan. Conveniently for me, the actual results worked out.

2 Likes

NopetheBard beats Ivan 3-2

:chibisetsuki: < :chibirook:
Was caught off guard by the side swap and had trouble adapting. Also early game CMB
:chibisetsuki: > :chibirook: -10
:chibirook: -15 > :chibisetsuki:
:chibirook: -15 < :chibisetsuki:
Perfect
:chibisetsuki: > :chibirook: -10
Very close. He had CMB threat active most of game
GGs Ivan!

5 Likes

Oops! I totally missed this update. Sorry for the delay. @Ginorm, @Nopethebard, expect an match invite soon.

1 Like

NopetheBard beats Ginorm 3-2!

:chibirook: -10 < :chibimidori:
:chibirook: -5 > :chibimidori:
:chibirook: -10 < :chibimidori:
:chibirook: > :chibimidori: -5
Big comeback after being nailed by FDB
:chibirook: -10 > :chibimidori:

GGs @Ginorm! And now I go to Grand Finals

5 Likes