[Tournament] Counterpick Cake - Signups Open! - Starts May 31

Now we need a major character in the Fantasy Strike universe whose name starts with F.

2 Likes

NopetheBard beats Feathers 3-0
:chibirook: (-5) > :chibigloria:
CMB finish
:chibirook: (-10) > :chibigloria:
:chibirook: (-15) > :chibigloria:
CMB finish
GGs Feathers!

5 Likes

if we are swapping… It would probably be fun if everyone had an unique main. I could swap my main/alt so Perse is my main. I did not notice vengeful already had Vendetta picked.

snoc (:lum:) beats @CarpeGuitarrem (:onimaru:)
:lum:-5 :psfist::pschip: :onimaru: close in the end but I can do panda shenanigans
:lum:-7 :psfist::pschip: :onimaru: land some big duff straights in the early game and win despite surprise K++ from 6 card Onimaru
:lum:-7 :pschip::psfist: :onimaru: oof, this one hurts: misclicked a zero damage PF and failed to bluff a throw that I thought wasn’t lethal because of forgetting about handicap
:lum:-7 :psfist::pschip: :onimaru: J78 three turns in a row lol
snoc wins 3-1!

Well played @CarpeGuitarrem, a much closer set than the results show. Hopefully I (or someone else) get a chance to go through the tapes and count exactly how many face cards I flipped on RTD, because it was A LOT.

3 Likes

I Rolled The Dice 15 times in total that set with the following results:

• A: 1 time
  • 2-3: 0 times
  • 4-10: 5 times (3 times with just normals, 2 actually retrieved faces)
  • JQK: 9 times (only a couple of times off a normal straight)

:frowning:

4 Likes

I felt like such a goon throwing into J78 not once but twice.

1 Like

ElZajonco (:zane:) beats mastrblastr (:midori:) 3-1
:midori: < :zane: -5
:midori: > :zane: -10
:zane: -12 > :midori:
:zane: -17 > :midori:

6 Likes

Ginorm (:midori:) v @Castanietzsche (:quince:)

:midori: :pschip: :psfist: :quince: [Midori -10 set by Cast]
:quince: :pschip: :psfist: :midori: [Quince -10 set by Ginorm, Cast chooses Midori] Perfect (I think?)
:quince: :psfist: :pschip: :midori: [Quince -10 set by Ginorm, Cast chooses Midori]
:quince: :psfist: :pschip: :midori: [Midori - 10 set by Cast, Ginorm chooses Quince]
:quince: :psfist: :pschip: :midori: [Even fight set by Cast, Ginorm chooses Quince]

Ginorm wins 3-2!

Definitely a very interesting format as a lot of head games in the pre-game phase. I was feeling pretty confident as I’ve got a good record against Quince overall. But turns out I have a Quince myself. Ok not really, but I certainly played him more than I thought I would. I’ll keep it short, but here’s the break down.

Game 1: Quince stayed mostly honest, but when it came time to show K’s it had me all mixed up. By time I read Q wanted no part of running Ks out there it was too late.

Game 2: After setting Q down -10, Cast decided to take on Midori and it was a bloodbath. Midori decided not to block at all, due to having the superhand that sometimes he gets, and I fell victim to it.

Game 3: I kept Q at -10 because I wanted to keep Cast on Midori. I got a feeling from that first game, even though I got bodied, there might be a little unfamiliarity with the character I could jump on. I was right on some level as I saw in a later game when a Glimpse got used on a Q when I had Dodged with a J which does not get beat buy DF attacks (normal dodges only). From there I did what Q does best, mixup over and over. Also a lot of the game Midori ended up on a low hand which can be a large disadvantage against Q. You have to be able to cover all of Q’s options and when you don’t I think the MU starts going in Q’s favor.

Game 4: Cast decided to give Midori the -10 and I decided to stick with Q because I seemed to finally find a rhythm so I didn’t want to switch off. Cast did switch it up and started blocking more, so this game was a harder to get the reads, but I was able to close it out.

Game 5: The most interesting part of the game was setting the characters. Cast decided to go with no handicap. I’m thinking it was to get me to put us on our mains, but I wasn’t going to let go. Things were still flowing well, and I think I had the read. I was able to basically punish most throws including a cheeky almost silent FDB that was looking to bust me and close out.

Great set @Castanietzsche. Good luck in the rest of the bracket. Also if anyone missed this one, we’ll be doing it again. This time in the IYL playoffs, looking to take the last spot in the main bracket!

6 Likes

Ginorm (:midori:) v @ElZajonco (:zane:)

All Matches played with Zane -15

:midori: :pschip: :psfist: :zane: Perfect!
:midori: :psfist: :pschip: :zane:
:midori: :psfist: :pschip: :zane: Perfect!
:midori: :psfist: :pschip: :zane:

What a sloberknocker on this one! After playing a fair bit of Zane in IYL I was feeling good for not playing the Bad Guy for once, and with a -15 handicap in my favor. I gathered since @ElZajonco was handicapping Zane they wanted to stick with Zane on throughout. I was willing to switch it on them if the handicap went lower, but it never did. So here’s the skinny.

Game 1: I wanted to take a very conservative route since I didn’t know how El played. Maybe a little too conservative as I got Perfected for the second time today. I got mixed on every Meaty and I wasn’t allowed to block. I got bodied but I got the reads I needed.

Games 2-4: These games went pretty fast too, and played very similarly. For the most part I needed to work around attacks, and either out speed throws or duff them as El was going for a pretty hard Attack / Throw line throughout. Some times it didn’t work for me, but when it did I tried to go for Max damage every time. With Zane being at 70 HP I figured I might just be able to put the pressure on and not have to win to many combats going this route. I also decided for the most part to keep Zane off his back since I wasn’t sure how El would play the Wakeup game, so I went for 12-17 damage throws instead of 8 and the knockdown. It also didn’t help that Shenanigans after being very generous in Game 1, was very mean the rest of the way.

Great set @ElZajonco! Good luck with the rest of the bracket!

6 Likes

Ivan vs Cu3ert - 3:2
No handicap first 4 games
:setsuki: :pschip: :psfist: :vendetta:
:setsuki: :pschip: :psfist: :vendetta:
:setsuki: :psfist: :pschip: :vendetta:
:setsuki: :psfist: :pschip: :vendetta:
:setsuki: :psfist: :pschip: :vendetta: -> Set -5
GGs, mate. All games was super tense and fun.

3 Likes

Carpe vs MysticDeadman
:gwen: -5 :pschip: :psfist: :onimaru: I go with the conventional MU wisdom, get A-poked and face-carded for my trouble
:gwen: :psfist: :pschip: :onimaru: Finally starting to get the swing of the matchup
:gwen: :psfist: :pschip: :onimaru: -10
:gwen: :pschip: :psfist: :onimaru: -5 I mashed Chains of Ice way too many times in a row, and paid for it.
:onimaru: -5 :psfist: :pschip: :gwen: Oni feels like home, finally

GGs, that’s a neat matchup, and I should not have gotten so lucky with those 10-block callouts. Silent AAA when you swapped onto Gwen was also pretty great.

4 Likes

GGs dood. Getting hit by everything and never drawing Jokers (surprise for me) got me pretty tilted. Didn’t help that seeing Carpe power up as often as he did made me want to pull my own hair out.

3 Likes

Caralad vs @snoc

:lum: :psfist: :pschip: :troq: Troq -5
:lum: :pschip: :psfist: :troq: Troq -5
:lum: :psfist: :pschip: :troq: No Handicap
:lum: :pschip: :psfist: :troq: No Handicap
:lum: :psfist: :pschip: :troq: Troq -5

Highlights - The one HP comeback in Game one. And me forgetting I had put troq to a -5 handicap for game 5, and then thinking I blew it when Snoc showed me the 3 T’s to no card me after he was at 5.

5 Likes

HEEL TURN SNOC

bonus from the forum software

Body seems unclear, is it a complete sentence?

2 Likes

Ginorm v @Nopethebard

:midori: :psfist: :pschip: :rook: Midori - 5
:midori: :pschip: :psfist: :rook: Midori -10
:midori: :pschip: :psfist: :rook: Midori -5
:midori: :psfist: :pschip: :rook: Midori -5
:midori: :psfist: :pschip: :rook: Midori -10

Ginorm wins 3-2!

This was a nutty one, however our casters extraordinaire @mysticjuicer and @migohunter was able to catch it so I’ll skip the rundown, except to say I do know I screwed up in Game 4 but leave it at that for now.

Great set @Nopethebard. I love your Rook, and apparently I like running into Stone Walls all day. Pretty sure they did over 60 damage to me throughout the set. Good luck the rest of the way!

5 Likes

Well, I technically made it to Winners’ Semi

1 Like

Caralad vs @Ivan

:troq: :psfist: :pschip: :setsuki: -10 to Troq
:troq: :pschip: :psfist: :setsuki: -10 to Troq
:troq: :psfist: :pschip: :setsuki: -8 to Troq
:troq: :psfist: :pschip: :setsuki: -10 to Troq - Just draw all 4 aces and dodge into BU turn 5 :4head:

GG’s Ivan. GL in lower bracket.

4 Likes

mastrblastr 3 - 0 @Castanietzsche
:quince: > :midori: (even) i was 2 hp from winning with a perfect, then lost 12 combats in a row and it went to single digits for both when i finally clutched it out.
:quince: > :midori: (even) had an insane hand here just everything a quince could want (I think?)
:quince: > :midori: (even) super back and forth match, highlights for me were hitting with 67Q++ and 8 throw undercutting 9 throw. I was at like 2 cards the whole game, had hand of 993 me at 21 midori at 11, powered up for A, rewarded for complete recklessness all set by topdecking another A, and clash with midori’s AA to to win with exactly 1 hp.

Great games, quince is wild, that was so much fun.

5 Likes

mastrblastr 3 - 1 @snoc
:midori: > :lum: (lum -10) had no 2 J Q or A but what I did have was 7 dodges which are extremely powerful in this matchup
:lum: > :midori: (lum -3) very close game back and forth affair had lots of Qs hit also got duffed by some reral big boy combos.
:lum: < :midori: (lum -5) got pretty stomped here, had a very awkward hand and snoc felt it and tossed me a bunch.
:midori: > :lum: (lum -5) down-back city for both of us, but then i had 12 cards which were 222 99 JJ KKK AA. Went to dragon form and dealt 85 in only the painful way that midori can

GGs Snoc!

3 Likes

Carpe vs @ElZajonco
:onimaru: :pschip: :psfist: :zane: -10
:onimaru: :psfist: :pschip: :zane: -10
:onimaru: :psfist: :pschip: :zane: -10

Came down to the wire! In the end, I was undone by not respecting how many jabs Zane threw out, even when I had FA in hand. Playing too scared of those dodges!

Also it’s mean how many Zane things outspeed Oni options.

4 Likes