[Tournament] 19XX: Kerfuffle 3 - Tournament Complete - Legion Wins!

Ivan advances over Leontes by TO decision.

1 Like

comments added above (if it could be of some interest…)

W3: Legion vs @GutterOwl

I win 4-1
Tbh i spectate some of her matches and got impressed by both her skill and results (like in SS), so i did the yomi+1 and watched all her tourney replays, studying both her oni and perse.

:argagarg::psfist::pschip::persephone: Honestly i went with the preemptive cp for her oni, faced the mistress instead. Had a bad hand tbh, and suffered a MC. Turned Arg into grappler mode and grabbed the win!
:argagarg::psfist::pschip::persephone: Still hella scared (GO loop is damn terrifying) i tried playing around and got thrown around like a dirty carpet. Very close match, but some blowfish spikes brought me to victory
:argagarg::psfist::pschip::persephone: well, here i had her number and won by blocking her dodge while she was at the magic pixel.
:argagarg::pschip::psfist::persephone: Here she had mine, and kindly handed me my butt in a so few combat wins ;__;
:setsuki::psfist::pschip::persephone: i go for grabs, she repels me with naked slowJ. in the end sets being more clingy squeezes the life outta her.

Respect and ggs!
Hope to see ya in the grand finals!

4 Likes

Fusxfaranto 4-0 Zqxx

:gwen: :psfist: :pschip: :argagarg:
:gwen: :psfist: :pschip: :argagarg:
:gwen: :psfist: :pschip: :midori:
:gwen: :psfist: :pschip: :midori:

Most of these games were pretty close, it really just came down to variance. GGs, and perhaps we’ll have a rematch in IYL semifinals…

6 Likes

19XX: Kerfuffle 3
1 Loss Division

Mystic Deadman vs. @Bob199

:chibigwen::pschip::psfist::chibilum:
:chibilum::psfist::pschip::chibilum:
:chibilum::psfist::pschip::chibiargagarg:
:chibilum::psfist::pschip:::chibigloria:
:chibilum::pschip::psfist::chibipersephone:
:chibigwen::psfist::pschip::chibipersephone:

Final Score:
MD 4-2 Bob199

HOLY SHIT this was a fun set. As it turns out, Lum is pretty good in a format where the top tiers don’t exist. I also managed to do something that I don’t think I’d ever done before: win Gwen vs. Perse.

GGs, d00d!

Commentary to come soon.

5 Likes

@variable GGs. You really played well. It’s always a pleasure to play you. Good luck to you in both of your tournaments. I’ve enjoyed our practice sessions.

This is a reply to the dramatic recap of our match that is yet to come from our champion! :grinning:

3 Likes

19XX Loser’s Bracket, Round 2
@FaceOnMars vs. variable:

variable wins, 1-4.

:gwen::pschip::psfist::chibivalerie:: I was somehow expecting to play against Disguised Monkey, & I picked Valerie because of her very high damage once all Yomises are assembled - as well as her speeds. The opponent turns out to be someone who is bleeding out, though, & - yes - we take those!
:gwen::pschip::psfist::chibivalerie:: Is this the, “The throw that never came” game? Or was it the next one? I think I close this one out with exactsies as FaceOnMars powers up three Queens, somehow! Still not sure how those never showed up to the party - even if it wasn’t this one!
:gwen::pschip::psfist::chibivalerie:: I made this game harder for myself than it should have been by not using a King in a combo to deal lethal damages, but I dodge a Queen to close it out, I think!
:chibigwen::psfist::pschip::valerie:: FaceOnMars closes this game out in bizarre fashion & then stands in the spotlight for too long. 10 throw when I have three Aces in hand? Okay! :0
:gwen::pschip::psfist::chibiargagarg:: Arg doesn’t take risks this time. Didn’t seem to be necessary! :rabbit2::anchor::turtle:

4 Likes

I can’t play DeGrey in 19XX.
The throw that never came was because I couldn’t draw a throw to save my life… literally.
I will stand in the spotlight as long as necessary or as long as it takes to go outside, light a cigarette, and hit rematch same charachter.:slight_smile:
I loved winning that game with a 10 throw. You must have been so irritated.:wink:

4 Likes

That was a very low-percentage play, but congrats on winning a game! :tada:

I don’t think ye care whether ye win or lose, but if ye ever change ye mind on that, towards winning, I would suggest viewing Chillbane as a throw punish exclusively. And, in general, don’t power up 2s as Gwen against Valerie. Sometimes Valerie doesn’t have all the Yomises she needs to get past 2 or K or even Ace, but ye can get much more value off of a successful 2 or K Attack than ye get from a successful Ace!

I don’t think that this is behavior we want to encourage! If ye need to collect ye thoughts, sure, take ye time!, but what ye said seems excessive to me.

3 Likes

It’s excessive to smoke a cigarette during a yomi match? Or is this sarcasm.

4 Likes

I meant what I said, at the time, but I was wayyyyy overreacting. I regret posting that now! :o

Smoke a cigarette during a set if ye want to, @FaceOnMars! That shouldn’t be a problem!

4 Likes

Southpaw Hare vs @Ivan

:rook: :psfist::pschip: :jaina:

Southpaw Hare 4 - 0 Ivan

Southpaw Hare wins!

Thanks for the games, Ivan!

3 Likes

flagrantangles wins 4-3 vs @Attilian

:quince::psfist::pschip::lum: We both turtle up a bit but then I get the washing machine loaded and spinning. For the most part, I maintain momentum for this match, particularly since I notice that he doesn’t really throw me. Honest Politician can be quite powerful.
:quince::psfist::pschip::lum: This one was much like the first but even more in my favor. I close it out with a classic 5-poke into Consent of the Governed.
:quince::psfist::pschip::lum: I almost threw this game away. I had a K-spin and lethal off either the throw or dodge, but I figure since he has enough throws left to defeat me, he’s likely to play one. I am incorrect and I learn how painful it is to have Consent lose to Great Pandamonium. Furthermore, due to what I presume is either an arithmetic or execution error, he leaves me alive when he could have killed me. :cry: This game was apparently both of ours to lose.
:quince::pschip::psfist::lum: 4-pokes too stronk. I think I got hit by three 4-pokes in neutral. Clearly I should be playing more naked Patriot Mirror to punish this. I got murdered in this MU. Attilian had me on lock and his Poker game was EXCELLENT.
:quince::pschip::psfist::lum: He gets the lead and throws me. A lot. I keep waiting for attacks and occasionally going for duffs and I’m just not really able to make anything happen. Eventually he hits me with AA and I’m at 1 HP. The magic pixel wasn’t so magical when he undercut my throw with a 6. :frowning:
:quince::pschip::psfist::lum: He bodies me here. I’m flailing wildly trying to get a pulse on his rhythms and I’m not having any luck. I tried to be threatening with CotG but it turns out it’s a lot less scary when Lum blocks and you don’t ever play it. :open_mouth:
:quince::psfist::pschip::lum: I tried to keep things even here and a lot of the time he had the lifelead but not by much. Whenever it got too out of hand I was able to land a crucial combo. There’s a crucial combat win here where I undercut one of the vaunted 4’s with a Patriot Mirror. Unfortunately, I don’t get much out of it other than bleeding his second Joker away from him. Near the end, he hits me with a couple of Jackpots and a 4oak Poker Flourish, I’ve lost the lifelead and I’m getting REAL antsy. However, I’ve got TONS of face cards in hand so I’m very certain that I can murder him if I can just put some hands on him. I toss out a seven hoping to catch a defensive option and undercut his 8. My heart was pounding. I do some damage and then spin a K. He jackpots again and finds my Ace AGAIN. I play the K honestly and dodge his Queen into Patriot Mirror. We’re tied at 26 life. I contemplate Dodge+K-throw but he has too many throws that can undercut me and I don’t want to take that risk. I opt for Dodge+3-normal. I dodge his Queen into another Patriot Mirror. I set up Dodge+Queen so that I’m guaranteed spin if he blocks and lethal if he doesn’t. He attacks and I lay these killin’ fists into his bear body.

Something I noticed through the set was how he almost always set up a flourish near the beginning of the game with a straight, presumably to pull out a joker. Throughout the match, anytime he would play a Queen into Positive Spin, it was almost CERTAINLY backed up with a joker. I let so many of them ride with no followup that I eventually mindgamed myself into believing that SURELY ONCE HE WILL LIE?! I was wrong. It was a joker every time.

GGs @Attilian This set was pure magic and I loved it!

6 Likes

Caralad vs @Emaron

Caralad wins 4-1

:rook: :pschip: :psfist: :setsuki:
:gwen: :psfist: :pschip: :setsuki:

GGs Emaron

3 Likes

Losers R2, snoc vs @MR75

:lum: :psfist::pschip: :grave: Deckout checkmate
:lum: :pschip::psfist: :grave: Ntillerman JJJ -> K flip and I’m checked out of the game. Shouldn’t have played them all in retrospect. I almost actually manage to pull off the LUMback but it’s not to be.
:valerie: :psfist::pschip: :grave: ummmm, val stuff?
:valerie: :pschip::psfist: :grave: Very nice early game TPOS setup here for MR.
:valerie: :pschip::psfist: :grave: I draw a Joker between Martial Mastery and hitting the dodge with known TPOS. I don’t play it because I think I have earned respect. I am wrong.
:valerie: :pschip::psfist: :grave: I actually manage to land a neutral A or two early game, Get to a really close endgame with ~10 cards left each and I can’t draw my last Q to beat out 1.0 speed aces from Grave.

MR wins 4-2! Very close games all round (except the 2nd Val one). I’m not sure what my best way of handling Grave is. I don’t like how he warps the way Yomi works between Martial Mastery and his innate, and TPOS footsies are just way too stressful considering that most of my stable is <90hp. Lum has his own problems between counters, not really winning Block/Block the same way he does against much of the other cast, and giving Grave lots of chances to KTO. Maybe I should just say “no mindgames for you” and play Setsuki so MM is useless? I’m open to suggestions.

4 Likes

Have you never visited a wishing well or wishing fountain? You don’t throw all your coins in at once. You need to space them out. Can’t make dreams come true without patience!

3 Likes

Stop picking Val against him, first of all. I’m not sure why you switched out of Lum, tbh. Though you mentioned that the games were taking forever, and that is definitely a match-up where you need to exercise patience.

If you don’t want to play long games against Grave, then yeah, play Setsuki probably. Either way it will be a short one.

4 Likes

This is probably the worst advice I’ve ever read

I mean he could play Gwen too, but she’s terrible against Grave.

Gwen wins every matchup where grave doesnt draw q a and jokers

5 Likes