Summer Smash V - Round 1 deadline is July 15th

Totally blasted !!!

I got two 4-0 in a row …shame to me!

Nice set @snoc, as I said, I felt that you drove it wherever you would like to!
I could have switched to some other char, but I think that the final result would have been the same!

3 Likes

mysticjuicer 4 - 2 flagrantangles

:troq: :knockdown: :psfist: :onimaru:
:argagarg: :psfist: :knockdown: :onimaru:
:argagarg: :psfist: :knockdown: :quince:
:argagarg: :knockdown: :psfist: :quince:
:troq: :psfist: :knockdown: :quince:
:troq: :psfist: :knockdown: :geiger:

ggs sir! :snake:

7 Likes

@MysticDeadman advances by forfeit.

1 Like

@ThreeHeadedMonkey vs @Hobusu . Holy crap what a set

:zane: :psfist::pschip: :degrey:
:zane: :pschip::psfist: :degrey:

Game 1: Too far in the past to remember well! The footsies begins. A shen a throw into AA early on and we start to feel each other out. Everytime I put Hobusu on the ground he blocks correctly and gets back up. However Hobusu did not have the greatest hand and I take advantage.

Game 2: Close, but I lose out. Once again I can’t get a meaty past Hobusu’s blocks. Hobusu shows some great mind games with Troubling Rhetoric and Ghost Riposte. Close game but I lose

Game 3: No MAs but I’m through out AA whenever I get them. Damage is the key! Doesn’t work well enough, however as Hobusu gets some great reads on me and puts me down. I get into the pattern throwing after a blocked normal and Hobusu takes advantage. Hobusu continues great manipulation with Rhetoric and takes advantage of my change in range after they power up for aces.

Game 4: I decide to go for Big Zane and block lots. I get a great early start but Hobusu soon powers up for a bunch of Aces. I through fearing a Riposte but he anticipated and hit me with a Point Counter Point. Next turn I guess wrong again and get hit by another throw into AA.

Game 5: It is at this point I start to twig into some of Hobusu’s patterns. PCP after powering up is his goto and I need to not play afraid of the Riposte. I also decide to attack straight into Troubling Rhetoric when he picks A. The gambles pay off.

Game 6: A super close game. I make sure huge misteps early as I throw into a Q on the first turn. Second turn I K into a block. I’m down to 50 life with nothing to show for it. However, I keep my head and keep to the same strategy as before. Two Jokers help keep me alive as it comes down to a few combats. I land a 3 with AA in hand and a Q on shen would win the game. Alas it wasn’t meant to be but a few rounds later I close out the game to tie the score. Again my hands are never conducive for MA but I’m ok throwing out Slipstreams instead.

Game 7: I’m not sure why but I seemed to hit my stride in this game. The start begins normally with both of us blocking but I land the throw and knock Hobusu down. My Meaties start to go through and rack up the damage. I attack straight through Troubling Rhetoric and get his life down to the 30s while I’m still on 80. I pick my combat reveals well and dispite falling for a good bluff from Hobusu I hit combo into AA and close out the game throwing into Hobusu’s dodge.

GGs @Hobusu! Holy hell this was a nuts set! After game four I did not think I’d get it through.

5 Likes

My friend was in a discord call with me during most of the set, and after game four he was convinced I had it in the bag, but I told him I’d seen bigger comebacks before… I was laughing for most of the set, especially because you managed to flip four Jokers with Shenanigans (or maybe more?) and every time you played meaty attacks and I blocked went in my favor until the last one. That was fantastic, and I can’t think of a better way to get eliminated!

especially since you never played MA the whole set, lol

3 Likes

iwazaru_break

[Me & Iwazaru after being destroyed by a job that doesn’t even try to make sense… Cool!]

Loser’s Round 2: @UTRALAW vs. variable.

:chibidegrey::pscrash::pschip::geiger:: I am not allowed to do things.
:degrey::pschip::cloud_with_lightning::chibigrave:: Things, like storms, are hereby allowed!
:zane::pschip::cloud_with_lightning::chibigrave:: Nice try, Zan, but ye K isn’t a good enough reversal against Gravy Man!
:chibitroq::techlab::pschip::grave:: That noble beast, Troq, has a mean side! :crying_cat_face:
:troq::pschip::gear::chibigeiger:: Throws (into unjokerable lethal) are cheap.
:menelker::pschip::gear::chibigeiger:: Anticipating what could occur in the Counterpickisphere if they were able to overcome the downbacking scientist of legend, G. Gear, UTRALAW countered with Menelker this time around! I lead with the :tennis:-ist of throws, and proceed to have a ridiculous hand that I eventually convert into a win. :o

If I had lost this one, though, I’m not sure that I would have went to Gravy Dude! I probably would’ve kept playing Good Gear! :gear::smiley_cat::woman_scientist:

variable wins, 4-2.

Geiger > All, confirmed…?

Ooooooooh, right, DeGrey is a character!

5 Likes

Huff… I’m getting too old for this. Nevertheless, a hunter must hunt.

@ArthurWynne vs @Ivan
:argagarg::psfist::knockdown::rook:
:argagarg::psfist::knockdown::midori:
:argagarg::knockdown::psfist::midori: These first three matches were as previously reported.
:grave::knockdown::psfist::midori: Ack! He’s onto me. Good draws aren’t enough when Ivan has downloaded my range.
:grave::psfist::knockdown::midori: The match-up is decent, what’s needed is a range shift with more throws and blocks. And some funky Midori hands. Both Jokers go by on both sides, then dodge into TPoS closes it out in the endgame.
:grave::psfist::knockdown::geiger: Grave had the Qs, Jokers and, crucially, 10*s to largely disarm Geiger.

Final result, 4-2 to ArthurWynne

5 Likes

Leontes vs Fenixoftheashes has been given a extension until Wednesday 1st August.

5 Likes

We’ll be playing tomorrow, at 3:30pm PST.

5 Likes

A hunter should hunt beasts… but there’s a beast in each of us, isn’t there?

@ArthurWynne vs @snoc
:troq::psfist::knockdown::setsuki: Victory on the character select screen -or maybe it was the turn 1 6-7-8 straight and the early 10*s to shut down SotF that did it.
:troq::psfist::knockdown::lum: The dice were not with Lum. He mostly turned over As, 2s and 3s and hardly recovered any face cards. I didn’t see a single Poker Flourish, either.
:troq::knockdown::psfist::setsuki: Got Setsuki very low on life and time, but the ninja girl is always dangerous! Snoc adjusted his range in the late game and flat-out killed me.
:troq::psfist::knockdown::setsuki: Power up for Beast Unleashed ->Play K into attack -> Play BU into throw.
:troq::psfist::knockdown::valerie: Disgusting draws settled this one, to the tune of early joker, Queens to undercut Chromatic Orb, and War Stomp four turns in a row into Eagle Totem.

Final result, 4-1 to ArthurWynne

5 Likes

The Silent (Leontes) vs. Kuja (@FenixOfTheAshes)

Putting :degrey: in chains where he belongs.

Normality

:midori::psfist::pschip::degrey:
:midori::psfist::pschip::degrey:
:midori::pschip::psfist::degrey:
:zane::psfist::pschip::degrey:
:zane::psfist::pschip::troq: :

Neutralized.

Leontes wins 4-1

Hey @Jengajam I’d like to apply this blessing to my next few matches, ok?

GGs to @FenixOfTheAshes. It’s been fantastic getting all of these crazy IYL champion battles in. Good preparation for the rest of the tournament.

7 Likes

The last match was against Troq.

3 Likes

Am a little salty about playing a whole set against that BULLshit.

2 Likes

Danganronpa_1_Monokuma_Theater_Title%20(1)

“I need an immediate, fast-acting pick-me-up!
If it doesn’t act now, it’s the same thing as giving in to regret.
What do you think guides the world? Speed, of course!
That’s why Formula One drivers are so popular!
Any idiot can accomplish something if they take it slow.
Even a human piece of excrement could create a masterpiece if they spent their entire life on it!
Someone who does things in a timely fashion is both wise and admirable.
Straight is better than a curve or an angle. Freestyle is better than the backstroke or breaststroke!
Drive-thru is better than sit-down! A Sunday comic artist is smarter than a graphic novelist!
What I’m saying is, speed is the gold standard of the standard world.
Which is why I said I need that pick-me-up!”
(Meanwhile, 0.000002 seconds later…)

Caralad vs @MysticDeadman

:troq: :psfist: :pschip: :gwen:
:troq: :psfist: :pschip: :bbb:
:troq: :psfist: :pschip: :bbb:
:troq: :psfist: :pschip: :lum:

Puhuhuhu!

8 Likes

Gravy is Unbreakable…

gravy%20is%20unbreakable

idk about the boats he rides in on, though! :joy_cat:

Losers Bracket, Round 3: @Zqxx vs. variable.

:argagarg::pschip::pscrash::chibigrave:: I make many bad reads, but somehow still find my Grave clinging to 5 HPs of life. Thanks to a previous Martial Mastery I have access to news that is slightly out-of-date about Zqxx’s hand, and I use that information to 5 attack on Zqxx’s KD & pray since Blowfish Spikes could have tarnished Gravy Device’s diamond!

:argagarg::pschip::cloud_with_lightning::chibigrave:: I failed by not being willing to dodge four turns in a row, but TPoS is a heck of a 7 throw punish! :o

:gwen::pschip::cloud_with_lightning::chibigrave:: If lethal, then lethal. :hospital:

:quince::pschip::pscrash::chibigrave:: Gravy Machine almost cracked, but luckily Mr. Flagstone’s hand was being heavily pressured early on! Eventually, thanks to Zqxx’s patience and good reads, control was being re-established, but Grav E. slipped away at the last minute!

An APB has been put out to recover this suspect, who slighted Flagstone!

variable wins, 4-0.

Thanks for playing, Zqxx, and I hope ye had an enjoyable dinner! I wish ye the best in ye other events! :smiley_cat:

6 Likes

Due to multiple requests for extensions this week, partly due to EVO weekend, all deadlines are being extended one week until Sunday 12th of August. I apologize for the late decision on this.

4 Likes

Wasn’t the 12th already the deadline @Caralad? Do you mean Sunday 19th?

You’re one week ahead of nearly everyone else in the bracket. so yes yours was moved to 19th

1 Like

Oh right, sorry.

Fluff 4-3 Shax

:persephone::pschip::psfist::setsuki:
:gwen::psfist::pschip::setsuki:
:gwen::pschip::psfist::setsuki:
:setsuki::psfist::pschip::setsuki:
:setsuki::psfist::pschip::troq:
:setsuki::pschip::psfist::troq:
:jaina::psfist::pschip::troq:

GGs!

We ended up with the Sets mirror after all!

7 Likes