[Strategy] General strategy questions for Purple

It is unlikely to be a good trade on gold, even if it saves a card. However, if a tech 0 unit survives killing an opposing unit, you could bounce it to clear the damage. Stewardess is barely an upgrade over Fading Argonaut or Neo Plexus, and still costs an extra gold too.

3 Likes

Assuming that your playing the purple starter, not very much, your paying 3 gold to “upgrade” a tech 0 unit, but purple’s tech 0’s are very strong (Fading Argo, 3 gold to remove fading, NeoPlexus, 3 gold to give +1 health, Nullcraft, -flying and -can’t be (de)buffed for +1attack +2 health). Your probably better of saving it for building your tech 2, as that will give you far greater gains (all of purple’s tech 2 options are very powerful, and very gold hungry, esp Present). If however you have a 1/1 in play from another spec (Skele Jav with no rune, Haunt, Smoker, Mad Man are the best ones I can think of) then it might be a better deal, but still probs not work considering.

2 Likes

Fair enough.

In the game that I was playing, I drew into SotU and Argonaut with a Fading Argonaut already on the board. I would have played my Stewardess, bounce Fading Argonaut back into hand, to then play Argonaut, so from that perspective, it was as if Fading Argonaut was being upgraded to a proper Argonaut.

But I can see how it might not be worth the gold.

If:
You are low on hand(or will be after your turn)
Your tech 0 can deal some meaningful damage and live
Your opponent doesn’t have any valuable targets

Then it might be worth it. However board control is so strong in this game that this would be a rare edgecase.

4 Likes

Probably won’t be worth it 99% of the time.

One gold plus or minus can make a big difference and you are talking about essentially wasting 3 gold willingly.

It seems really hard to gain an advantage that way.

I really like my discard 3s, but I think gold is the main resource in this game to be conserved almost all the time.

Going down a card could maybe be worth 2g, but probably closer to 1.5 most of the time. Or put another way, not going down on a card could maybe be worth spending 2g. But on T3 it is probably a tough sell.

1 Like

It’s not wasting 3 gold, stewardess is not a spell so you at least get a body from it. This is simply an in optimal usage of the stewardess’s ability that could maybe be good under very constrained circumstances(the ones i listed above) that generally will never happen.

Closer to wasting 1 gold most of the time.

2 Likes

Don’t forget about Messenger/Tenderfoot from Neutral!

1 Like

I was assuming you would play the Argonaut anyway, as it is strictly better then the stewardess if you can’t bounce anything the opponent has, so if your concerned about cards, the Argonaut in my eyes is only being upgraded to the stewardess, as that is the difference in board state with that play.

1 Like

If you can’t bounce an opponents unit with your stewardess, don’t bounce anything and put the thing you would’ve bounced in technician.

2 Likes

Sometimes right before I play my first tech2 I bounce and worker my hardened mox.

2 Likes

If the tech 0 is actually 100% useless (exhausted FA with 1 rune, sometging hit with Entangling vines), then bouncing it turns Stw into a 3 cost 2/3 draw a card. Which is fairly weak, and your gold is probably better spent leveling or playing a Hero (or saving it for a tech 2).

1 Like

+1d for being much better

The chances you want to pay for a brand new tech 0, that you can pay for it, and that you benefit from it are very unlikely to all happen at the same time.

This whole concept revolves around wanting to play tech 0s after you already have tech 1s. After that point, you are probably trying to minimize the number of tech 0s that you play.

Use it on Brick thief for the last one ore two damage in a base race

5 Likes

Haha, that’s some fun shenaniganery.

1 Like