[Strategy] General strategy questions for Purple

But then again, they have Mox.

A few day later edit: I guess a better way of phrasing it is: They have a perpetual 1/1 on the board for every turn until you play a tech 2 building. It will become a 2/1 with an upgrade (which thins your deck) that turns into a 3/1 if it is in elite.

So while yes, 1/1 + Hero + Worker on turn one is great. Mox+worker on turn 1 is also pretty nice.

7 Likes

I’d like to revive this thread and ask a direct question, what is a good strategy to use with mono-purple? I love the deck, but I can’t seem to beat any other color with it. Red, Green, White, how do you beat these decks? What am I missing? Thanks in advance.

I recommend searching the play by post threads to see what people have done with mono-purple. Purple can be a really hard color to play, its easier to see a strategy. And I think it can be very different depending on the matchup.

There is no one thing you can do against every colour as any colour.

As a baseline, Purple has great mid to late game power, usable answers to any degenerate strategies your opponent attempts, and very little ability to sieze the initiative and take control of the game early.

For turns 1-4, you should be looking to trade evenly with your opponent, and accumulate whatever small advantage you can (mox and nullcraft dealing damage every turn / Argonaut trading for two cards / etc.), planning to let both players reach Tech II, and win there (or in Tech III, depending on how defensive your opponent is being)

1 Like

I agree (but my experience is very limited), Purple is all about the long game, which could be a problem against an aggressive Red or Black player. You can get some solid defense out early with the Mox and Fading Argonaut and hang out until you get your Tier II out.

The tricky thing is, I think, that Present Tier II is really nice with Tricycloid and Hyperion, but the Tier III is really blah. Past is exactly the opposite; the Ebbflow Archon is a crazy game-winner, but the Golgort and the Shimmer Raw are only OK (Second Chances is good stuff). I get the feeling, then, that a Tech Lab is a good choice eventually.

Rememberer is the key card for Past Tech II. If you’ve already teched Seers, adding Rememberer is what makes Past Tech II sing. Shimmer Ray is pretty good as well - a 3/4 Flyer for 1 is pretty difficult to beat, and if the downside has any effect on the game at all, your opponent doesn’t have an answer and you’re probably a long way ahead. But Rememberer is the reason you build Tech II - Past.

1 Like

Don’t underestimate the strength of a 3/4 flying for 1, even if it does have a semi-limited lifespan.
At 3 damage it doesn’t immediately break techs, but it can take an anti-air hit or several tower hits without dying typically.
You can extend its lifetime by pitching otherwise low impact cards (more gold for heroes, setting up tech 3, etc), and if you put out a copy of second chances you can support them cheaply enough.
They also do a good job of keeping golgort from fading away (making a 1 card discard closer to 2 cards surviving an extra turn).

And finally there are rememberers (also delicious to cheat in, any way you can), which go from an overpriced risky body to a hilariously strong body dump as soon as you bring to bear a protected tinkerer or seers. Time spiral will also do in a jiffy but doesn’t come with body attached.

1 Like

With Future, double Omegacron is a doomsday clock for opponent. You have 6 turns to clear his patrol zone and as soon as you do (Rewind is fantastic for that), its GG game over.

6 turns? I admit that I’ve not used Omegacrons myself yet, but surely the key thing about them is that you can activate them way earlier by sacrificing a load of stuff. It’s difficult to time, because unless you win the game straight away you’re probably way behind if you clear your own board and then go down to just 3 or 4 workers - but that’s the real threat of Omegacron. A 6-turn clock isn’t particularly scary - since you’re playing it T3 at the earliest, and very few games go on longer than 9 turns anyway.

1 Like

I think the point is that the opponent has to be worried for 6 turns of you wiping their board because of Omegacron. Usually it’s best for Omega to attack and win when it’s summoned though.

1 Like

Yeah it’s not “have the patrol zone cleared 6 turns from now”, it’s “have the patrol zone cleared at any point within the next 6 turns”.

1 Like

Don’t forget “-and not lose the game within the next 6 turns before you’re able to clear the patrol from the tempo loss of spending two cards and four gold for no immediate effect.”

4 Likes

That’s called “not understanding Temporal Research”

Fair point, though then the trade-off becomes “spending 6 gold for no immediate effect”, and that’s if you’re not using another starter deck for perhaps a stronger early game.

1 Like

How often do forecast creatures really enable awesome comebacks due to their above average stat to cost ratio?

I never play them because I always want to affect the board now. I tend not to want to invest gold and cards on things that don’t help me currently, particularly something like KOTC that doesn’t even have haste.

The snowball may already be too big by the time these things hit.

Plasmodium played on Turn 1 can usually show up in time to do good work. It’s also worth accelerating with Seer / Time Spiral

Knight of the Conclave needs a very specific setup / conditions to be worthwhile, it’s not worth it to just toss it in your deck and Forecast it on turn 3 or 4. Generally not worth accelerating

Vir’s maxband is good value, and the Mech shows up in time to make a difference if you go for an early (T3 or 4) maxband. Especially good if accelerated.

Double Time will usually win you the game, if you can survive spending 6 gold on nothing. Worth accelerating.

Omegacron is usually accelerated out for a sudden lethal attack. Seer/Time Spiral is just redundant.

Reaver is generally too slow, even if accelerated out.

4 Likes

There was more discussion in this thread but…

Omegacrons are awesome and win games!

(Also in Mono-purple)

I’ve been considering this play: If on Turn 3 you have a hand with your two Tech 1 units (one being Stewardess of the Undone) and a completed Tech 1, to play both and bounce one of your own Tech 0 units back into hand to retain handsize? I know that removing an opponent’s Tech 0 can be strong but I’m curious to know what everyone feels about what is essentially upgrading a current in-play unit to a better unit without losing out on cards.

1 Like

Depends on the value you can achgievr by using the bounce aggressively. If you can get ahead on the board, probably best to do that instead.

2 Likes