Rules Questions thread

No on both counts.

‘Attacking’ involves two actions, the attacker dealing its attack to the defender, and the defending unit dealing its attack back. The wording used in overpower “excess combat damage… hits something this could attack” involves only the first half of the attacking process, the leftover damage being assigned to another unit with the attacker not actually attacking the unit it overpowers to.

You have two concepts confused here. Resist only applies to targeting abilities (the one s with a target sign next to them) of which overpower is not one. Additionally, flagbearers do not have the resist ability but forces targeting abilities to target them first. So even if overpower targeted no gold would be paid. (Unless that flagbearer is in the lookout slot… but that’s another whole complex interaction)

1 Like

Thank u very much

1 Like

Hey guys first time using quince. Can I make mirror illusions for the cost of 2 gold each turn or is it only when quince arrives that I can pay 2 gold for another illusion thanks

You can make mirrors as often and whenever you like (as long as Qunice is in play), but you can’t make one if you already have 2 in play.

3 Likes

Thank u very much

I’m pretty sure I’ve got this right, but just checking:

Flying units with Long Range take no damage from patrollers with Anti-Air, right? So they can ignore them with complete impunity?

ETA: This is assuming the patrollers don’t also have Long Range, obviously…

1 Like

If you’re directly attacking an Anti-Air patroller (without long range) then no, they won’t do damage back to you.

But if you’ve got a Long Range Flier attacking a unit/hero behind the patrol zone, and there are anti-air patrollers, then you will take damage from those patrollers (but not the unit/hero you’re attacking), right?

2 Likes

From post 2 of this thread :slight_smile:. Relevant bit in bold

2 Likes

Is “long range only matters for the target being directly attacked” an official ruling?

The ability itself says “Defenders without long range deal no damage”. The plural suggested to me that there could be more than one defender, and therefore the word was intended to mean all units in the opposing patrol zone (or even all opposing units). However, your quote suggests that “defender” is defined as “the unit being attacked” and the plural is simply writing style. The rules make no reference to “defender” at all, and don’t use the term even when it would be less awkward to do so (the rules talk about “the thing being attacked”).

If defender means what you say it means, it would be good to get a clarification in the spreadsheet under Long Range.

On a related note, is there a searchable version of the codex rules anywhere? If not, anyone feel up to the task of editing one?

@sharpobject

This one might be relevant to a game in progress, so I’m going to keep it private for the time being, then make it public when the game is finished, if that’s okay:

If my opponent activates Might of Leaf and Claw, and I use Kidnapping to steal one of his real big units, does it stay real big?

MoLaC says:
“While this has at least five growth runes, your units and heroes get +5/+5”

The question is, are they still his units when kidnapped (he owns them, they’re just under my control), or are they now my units (because they’re under my control).

Thanks in advance!

Summary

afaik, all channeling spells constantly chek the field. so as soon as u kidnap, the unit is not his, but yours and loses the bonus.

3 Likes

[details=Answer]
The unit you kidnap will not benefit from your opponent’s Might of Leaf and Claw.
[/details]

1 Like

In general I’d like things to be new entities each time they change zones, and I think a lot of the rulings I gave so far rest on this assumption. There are some exceptions so far: Stuff has to remember who controlled it most recently when directed to “return to play” and Blackhand Resurrector has to work at all.

@Jadiel pointed out that we might have a hard time explaining how Metamorphosis expires when heroes die if we say that heroes are the same entity even when they change zones. I haven’t put much thought into whether we’d have any other issues with just heroes.

But obliterate doesnt check attack power. So gunship could choose to obliterate 1 wisp ans 1 skeleton instead

Edit
You example will be perfect if you replace skeleton token with Skeleton Javelineer

obliterate does check attack. U oblit first the lowest tech unit, if there is a tie, look for the lowest attack.

It doesn’t, you can pick whichever lowest tech units you want.

4 Likes

That’s “weakest” for Sacrifice the Weak, not Obliterate

2 Likes

Maybe the command zone is what remembers whether heroes have died or not for Blackhand Resurrector.

1 Like

So here is a thing that can prove useful: I use paper clips to mark hero bands, and leave the paper clips off until I summon a hero for the first time in a given game. As a practical effect of this, if a hero in the command zone has no paper clip on it, that means I simply haven’t summoned it yet this game, whereas if it does that means it has been in play before (and under nearly all circumstances this means that hero has died).

Simple grammar error, but this contradicts your entire post. Made me do a double take.

1 Like