Rules Questions thread

Yesit sounded like A&B are gone forever but I want to make sure.
Because this ruling would essentially mean that when heroes die, they die. Then when you resummon them,it is actually different hero that just happen to have the same name and abilities!!

So we can say the ability is interpreted as
"Leaves: Return all cards to play that this incarnation of Pasternaak trashed."

2 Likes

A&B are gone forever.

2 Likes

Does Ferocity apply to units that enter your control after the spell is played?

I would guess that it does not, since Stampede doesn’t affect such units (or am I wrong about that?)

If I am correct there, that also means that a ferocious unit stolen by the opponent will remain ferocious for its intended duration.

2 Likes

It doesn’t. I remember vividly this very issue coming up in a PbF game I had (might have been a tournament game, too) leading to me redoing my turn.

2 Likes

This is my new favorite deck. They might feel they need to kill their own heroes to get Prynn back up before she dies! Hilarity! Add Future for Assimilate, and try to take away everything they tech!

assimilate only works on upgrades and ongoing spells tho

Assimilate works on buildings too

2 Likes

Not tech buildings or add-ons

If you use Orpal Gloor, who “Deals damage … in the form of -1/-1 runes”, to attack a fresh 3/3 enemy unit, does the enemy counter attack with a force of 3 or 2?

Based on the rule that the attacker and defender deal their combat damage to each other simultaneously (absent any other special abilities/attributes), I believe the defender should be counter attacking with 3, but the question came up when playing with a friend. I ruled that the defender does 3 damage to Orpal, but it would be nice to have additional confirmation.

Yes, you’re right. Unless Orpal somehow has swift strike, the -1/-1 runes won’t affect damage dealt in the combat where they are received.

6 Likes

Free Speech

I play it so my opponent cannot use spells
Then my turn come again. Then my opponent again. Can he now use spells?

http://codexcarddb.com/card/free_speech

Both clauses (“heroes can’t cast spells” and “heroes lose all abilities”) have a duration of “until after that opponent’s next turn,” so their heroes will be able to cast again as soon as their next turn ends (eg, if Double Time comes off of Forecast during their Silenced turn, they can cast spells on the Additional turn)

3 Likes

Feels inconsistent with Blackhand Resurrector. Heroes can’t ever have “died previously” because they would always become a new hero when they end up back in the command zone, so Resurrector’s ability shouldn’t work.

IMO the ruling should be that a hero counts as the same entity even if they leave play and come back. You still clear all damage/runes/levels when the hero leaves play because the rulebook says that happens. However, Prynn still remembers which units she trashed in previous lives, and Resurrectors work as someone would expect.

2 Likes

I don’t see any inconsistency with Blackhand Resurrector, the state of a hero having died or not during the course of the game is not a feature of the hero, but of the game. It also seems similar to things like how /kidnapping and Graveyard or maxband Geiger can interact to effectively cause an opponent’s unit to be permanently controlled by the non-owner. The controller identity information is remembered even though the card left play.

2 Likes

I agree that it is inconsistent with Blackhand Resurrector. However, your way of doing things would mean Metamorphised heroes would keep invisible and readiness after being resummoned which is far more unbalancing. Max Prynn and Nether Drain is extremely unlikely to happen in an actual game whereas Metamorphosis is quite a bit more common.

As @zhavier mentions, there is a similar inconsistency with units, as they forget everything except who their controller was. Heroes forget everything except whether they’ve died or not. Resurrectors already work exactly the way everyone expects, I think Prynn and Metamorphosis are the only things that would be affected by your ruling. Having units and heroes work differently would just be more confusing than helpful.

2 Likes

Metamorphosis is not affected because the text say they lose the perks once they leave play

2 Likes

Metamorphosis has two separate clauses though with “until they leave play” only in the latter one, so if that’s the only thing keeping the effect from persisting in command zone, by that logic the affected heroes should still remain demons. Also looking up the card there’s already a ruling from Sirlin that “Whenever a hero leaves play, it always loses all properties”.

2 Likes

Hey guys quick question. To clarify overpower damage (excess) hits another unit does that unit deal its combat damage to the attacked. Example I attack using centaur kill his 1/1 taunt the 2 excess damage then kill the next patroller 2/2 flagbearer. 1. Does that flagbearer deals or combat damage to centaur? 2. Does the attacker have to pay 1 extra gold? Being overpower is an ability.

The secondary target does not deal any damage back to the attacker.

Note that you do have to go through any Armor as well as HP on the original attack target, before calculating how much Excess damage there is.

Resist only applies to abilities that have a :target:

2 Likes
  1. OP activates only killing a patroller, so yes excess damage cascades on flagb. 2) no OP does not target, so u have not to pay if Flagb is in looky, and falgb does not return any dmg. it never happens. (like, if u dinosize the centaur, you could kills the skele in SQL and cascade the dmg on a much toughr opponent with no risk)