Rules Questions thread

Hi everyone. Couple of rules questions from two games we played today:

GAME A: Blue vs Black
Today we had a game where the active player sacrificed a hero. We assumed some rules:

A1) The active player has to choose an opposing hero to level up

A2) If the opposition had a level 5 Garth Torken and you chose to level it up (for whatever reason), then the active player could choose to make its Max Level ability happen for the opposing player. The active player could choose to ignore the “may”, or they could choose to look through the opposing player’s discard pile and put a Tech 1 or Tech 2 into play in control of the opposing player.

Are these two rulings correct?

GAME B: Purple vs Blue

B1) If Prynn uses 2 time runes to “trash” a unit with an “Arrives” ability, when Prynn dies, the trashed unit “returns to play.” When it “returns to play”, we thought it would trigger the “Arrives” ability again. Is this correct, or would “Arrives” not happen?

Thanks!

A1) Yes, that is correct. The constraint is that you have to pick an opposing hero that can level up at least once if there is one. If your opponent has a lvl 6 Garth and a lvl 5 (max level) Vandy, you have to give the levels to Garth.

A2) No, the outcome is that Garth’s maxband ability fizzles. When a card says “you” it refers to the card’s controller, which means that it’s your opponent’s decision how to use the maxband. However, you can only make decisions on your own turn. Anything that would cause a player to make a decision not on their turn fizzles instead.

This means that in the right circumstances you can sacrifice your own hero to prevent your opponent from using hte maxbands of Garth, Geiger, Prynn, etc.

B1) Yes, the arrives trigger happens.

1 Like

I don’t think there are any card effects which ask you to sacrifice a hero (but I’m sure someone will correct me if I’m wrong :slight_smile: )

When you say ‘sacrifice a hero’, do you mean ‘make an attack with a hero which resulted in their death’? If so, we’re all good. :slight_smile:

Correct - choosing to use a hero in some way that results in their death, like trading for another hero. A figurative sacrifice rather than the literal game term “Sacrifice”

Hero is on the list of things which can be game-term sacrificed to Omegacron.

2 Likes

I’m sorry if this was asked before, but how does Second Chances interact with a non-token unit leaving play that has Forecast? After the Second Chances triggers will the unit be forecasted with the printed number of counters - or does it arrive immediately?

In case you’re curious, people generally call this a “suicide” rather than a “sacrifice.”

Sorry, I didn’t mean to nitpick at your language use. This thread is read by lots of new players, and I could see them thinking (as I did) “There’s a card in Blue vs Black which requires you to sacrifice your hero?”

As it turns out, there is a card which lets you sacrifice heroes (thanks @rabid_schnauzer) so it’s all good :slight_smile:

Second Chances says ‘return (that unit) to play’, so the unit actually leaves play (triggering die effects if it died, e.g. patrol bonuses) and then arrives again, triggering any arrives abilities it has. This means it will get time runes if it has forcast or fading, and it’s unable to attack this turn (unless it has haste)

It goes to the future and gets runes.

Got an odd interaction that I’m not sure how to resolve, involving Guardian of the Gates and Rampaging Elephant.

I guess it hinges on when Rampaging Elephant untaps itself. Does it do so as soon as you declare it as an attacker (i.e. it will be untapped when it deals and receives combat damage)? Or is it tapped until the attack is over (i.e. it will be tapped when it deals and receives combat damage)?

B) Note that if the arrives ability requires the card’s owner to make a decision when it is not their turn, it fizzles, as in A2. But you could use Prynn’s last 2 time runes to trash your own stewardess in order only briefly trash it then trigger the arrives ability.

Attacking is actually a series of actions. When you declare that something is attacking, you declare a target and exhaust it (unless it has readiness), and then resolve effects that might have been triggered, such as summoning a skeleton, obliterate, Voidblockers effect, or rampaging elephants effect. Then you redeclare the target, if necessary, then you resolve combat damage all at the same time without swift strike, or in 2 steps with swift strike. Then you resolve any effects of combat damage.

So Rampaging elephant would end up exhausted against guardian of the gates.

2 Likes

Does “Limit: #” refer to the total number of tokens in play or just to the number under your control? How do the “Limit: 3” and “Limit: 2” lines on things like Harmony and Bird’s Nest interact with an opponent using effects to gain control of your tokens?

the number under your control.

2 Likes

Since english langage is weird sometimes, I want to make sure. For Temporal Distortion does the “or less” apply to the cost only or also to the tech level?

Only to the cost. The new thing has to be the same tech level as the old thing.

Question on following situation:
I, have Drakk out on max-level; then play Bombaster and immediately attack sth with its Haste from Drakk’s max-band, and it survives.

On opponents turn, he has Quince out on mid-level, he summons a Mirror Illusion, then uses mid-band to make it a copy of my bombaster, and immediately attacks.

Does the haste from Drakk’s max-band persist and is copied over by Quince mid-band? Yes/No? Why?

Haven’t really played Future, so a forecast question: when the last time rune is removed, even if it’s not the turn you played the card, it still has arrival exhaustion, right? There’s no pseudo-haste for cards arriving after all forecast runes are removed, right?

The Haste from Drakk’s max-band is permanent, so that Bombaster will have Haste until it leaves play. This matters if your opponent plays Wandering Mimic or steals Bombaster using Mind Control or Ogre Recruiter.

The Haste from Drakk’s max-band is not copied by copy effects. Here is a comprehensive list of things copied by copy effects:

• The stuff printed on the card (including color, types, abilities, atk, hp, tech level, cost, and probably some other stuff I forgot, but not including whether a thing is a token or not)
  • Other copy effects
  • Polymorph: Squirrel
  • Atk values set by Chaos Mirror

This is maybe a little arbitrary but it basically works the same as some much older game’s copy effects

3 Likes