Rules Questions thread

Except that’s clearly referring to the Tower’s detection on the Tower controller’s turn - which isn’t quite what I asked about.

It may still apply, but then it runs into:

[quote=Ruling 40 from the GoogleDocs]
If an opponent has the Tower add-on and their tower has already used its once-per-turn detect on something, then you attack with something invisible, the Tower will not deal its damage to your invisible thing. It would if it’s once-per-turn detect hadn’t been used, but it can only damage things it can see.[/quote]

and

[quote=Ruling 84 from the GoogleDocs]
If the tower already used its detect ability on an opponent’s turn, then that opponent attacks with a stealth/invisible unit or hero, the tower won’t hit that attacker. It won’t even hit the attacker if it attacks the tower itself. In this example, the tower already used up its detect ability and it can’t hit any more stealth/invisible attackers that turn.[/quote]

Which seem to contradict Ruling 85 which you cited.

Even if they somehow don’t contradict, there’s still a potential issue in Free-For-All where a Ninja Rampaging Elephant could be splitting attacks between 2 opponents only one of whom has a Tower.

I don’t think there’s a definitive ruling anywhere, but the wording in the rulebook implies that the Tower will continue to see the first attacker for the rest of the turn. So if an invisible unit attacks more than once, the Tower will continue to see it.

[quote=“Codex Rulebook”]
The tower can detect one stealth or invisible thing per turn. That detection lasts until the end of that turn. Usually stealth and invisible attackers can ignore your patrollers (see the Combat section below), but if you have a tower then the first one of those that attacks you per turn can’t ignore your patrollers. On your turn, the tower (optionally) lets you reveal one invisible thing, which lets you attack it and target it with a spell or ability.[/quote]

The way I understand that, the first two sentences refer to the tower’s detection in general—both during your turn and during your opponent’s turn. The third sentence further explains how that functions during your opponent’s turn; the fourth sentence clarifies how that functions during your turn. But the key sentence—“That detection lasts until the end of that turn”—refers to both cases.

(If the sentence was meant to apply only during your turn, it should be worded with “your turn” instead of “that turn.”)

2 Likes

It seems more likely to refer to the add-on in general - if it were only referring to its controller-activated detection, there wouldn’t be any need to mention Stealth, as Stealth doesn’t do anything on the opponent’s turn.

I think it’s possible to interpret the other two rulings consistently with this, as a revealed unit/hero is effectively no longer invisible/stealthy for the purposes of combat, thus no longer falling under rulings 40/84.

I’m not sure what the issue would be in FFA. Your detectors, including the tower, don’t reveal things to your opponents, only to you. From the rulebook glossary:

Detector
Opposing stealth and invisible forces are visible to you. (The Tower add-on can detect once-per-turn.)

1 Like

My impression is that the Tower detects a unit for the remainder of the turn. In FFA, I think the unit could still use Stealth or Invisible when attacking a different player.

3 Likes

The other thing that makes me think that a 2nd copy of Second Chances would still work after the first has been used in a turn is that it says “Whenever a unit leaves” rather than, “The first time a unit leaves”. “Whenever” doesn’t make much sense in the context of a once-per-turn ability unless the ability could somehow be pre-empted and remain active. As opposed to cards like Sentry, Reteller of Truths, and Rampaging Elephant.

1 Like

Second Chances can definitely trigger twice, once for each copy, otherwise it would be worded like Drakk’s or Orpal’s maxband.

I agree with Sharpo on the tower in FFA, its detection only applies to the person owning the tower and does not make units visible to all players.

in a 2 Headed Dragon match, how does Obliterate work? “Whenever this attacks, destroy the defender’s X lowest tech units”

The defender is easily determined if the initial attack is declared against a card or building that belongs to a specific player, but the base belongs to both players. If the attack is declared against the base, do you:

A) check all units in play for both players for X lowest units (most likely, in my opinion)
B) check all of one player’s units, chosen by the attacker (possible but unlikely)
C) both players checked independently (X units each for both defending players, this seems very unlikely)

3 Likes

“Obliterate X
Whenever this attacks, destroy the defender’s X lowest tech units first. If the thing you attacked is now gone, you may select a new thing to attack.”

As there is only one ‘defender’, I think it is A, but I could see people arguing for all three with equal footing.

Yeah, I think it has to be A - the base is owned by the team, so you check the team’s units for obliteration.

Do “arrives” effects trigger when you gain control of an opposing unit?

no. cuz they already arrived when got played from hand.

1 Like

Arrives trigger when it is arrives in play. Switching controller doesn’t make it leaves play and arrives again.

1 Like

And when copying a unit for Blue effects, you skip “Arrives” effects because the unit copying the target unit has already arrived in play, and is being changed (temporarily) into a copy of an already-existing unit.

(I add this mostly just because it took me a lot of effort to get this straight at first)

Hi all,
Still struggling with some aspect of the rules concerning amror.
When I play Ironbark Treant it says it gets -2 / + 2 armor while patrolling.
So let’s say
Opponent turn: I take 2 damage on him while is patrolling.
My turn: I pull it off the patrolling zone. He loose his armor bonus, so does he dies? ( I assume not).
Now before the end of my turn, I put him back on the patrolling zone, he gets a fresh new +2 armor bonus?

cheers

no, he does not die. Armor prevnts dmg and regenerates every turn.

1 Like

To die a unit need to have equal or more damage on it than it has hitpoints. In your example, your unit has 0 damage and 2 hp. So it lives.

1 Like

I’m not completely understanding the rules on triggers:

If I cast Maximum Anarchy when I have a midband Vir out and an opponent has at least one hero - do all the heroes die immediately with the +2 level bounty not mattering, or can I as the active player decide on the order things die, destroying an opposing hero first to give Vir the +2 levels and getting the forecast mech token ?

I believe that everything dies simultaneously, since you have to resolve everything on the card before any more triggers can happen (it’s also the same as how the attacker and defender in combat take damage simultaneously as long as one doesn’t have Swift Strike).

1 Like

Everything die first. Then all the +2 happens but since all heroes are dead, they do nothing

1 Like

Like goggles?

Also, is there an estimate for when/if oblitterate will be updated at http://codexcarddb.com to skip over indestructible units?

2 Likes