Rules Questions thread

So here’s a thing I’m 99% sure about, but not 100%: When Zane hits maxband and moves a patroller, the “target” effect, for Resist purposes, takes into account where the patroller started, rather than finished, right? SO let’s say a patroller is in Squad Leader, and Zane maxbands them over to the other end. The “Resist 1” they get from being in Lookout is irrelevant, because they were moved before that counted, right?

tl;dr Zane’s maxband doesn’t have to pay the Resist 1 penalty to move a patroller into Lookout, right?

that’s right

Yes. Zane targets the unit first, then it gets moved to Lookout. Lookout incurs the gold penalty for any target spells/abilities, and since the targeting didn’t happen in the slot you don’t have to pay the gold.

I have used lookout against purple stewardess and tricycloid, red jaina shenanigans, black deteriorate, white grappling or snapback, grave maxband sword rune or even thunderclap, green polymorph squirrel, and even blue I could see using lookout to make insurance agent or dreamscape/hallucination more expensive.

I do agree that lookout is higher level play than beginner, but using it effectively sometimes is not expert level.

1 Like

The important thing for beginners to keep in mind is that in some cases, putting a unit in Lookout actually makes it more vulnerable to spells. There are a lot of spells that can only target patrollers, not backline units. Putting a unit in the Lookout slot makes you vulnerable to these.

White is a good example of this. White has strong spells for dealing with patrollers, but extremely limited options for dealing with backline units.

2 Likes

I use Lookout very often because it allows me to stand 3 patrollers and still get no damage from Sparkshot.

3 Likes

That’s how I lost my reaver :cry:

Interesting question from Boardgamegeek I don’t recall seeing answered before. How do multiple copies of Second Chances work?

If I have two copies of Second Chances out, and I cast Undo on my Stewardess of the Undone, what happens?

a) One copy of Second Chances goes off, returning the Stewardess to play and triggering her arrives ability. The second copy doesn’t do anything and can still be used later in the turn.

b) One copy of Second Chances goes off, returning the Stewardess to play and triggering her arrives ability. The second copy tries to go off but no longer has a legal target, and so it fizzles. It cannot be used later in the turn.

c) One copy of Second Chances goes off, returning the Stewardess to play and triggering her arrives ability. The second copy ALSO goes off, returning her to play AGAIN, triggering her arrives ability again.

d) Something else.

And if there are two copies out, and I cast Rewind, returning multiple units to hand, what happens? Could both copies of Second Chances “randomly” select the same unit and have some sort of conflict? Or do they resolve sequentially thus guaranteeing each will hit a different unit?

Hmm, the wording is slightly ambiguous, so I can’t tell whether it’s A or B. I think we can rule out C though, because you can’t “return” something to play if it’s already in play. Here is what I know happens for sure:

1. A non-token unit leaves play from something other than combat damage
  2. Both copies of Second Chances trigger. They go into the “queue” simultaneously and the active player decides in what order to resolve them. Say they choose copy A first
  3. Second Chances A resolves and the unit is returned to play. Any arrives triggers are added to the queue. They will be resolved after Second Chances B resolves
  4. Second Chances B tries to resolve, and can’t return the unit to play because it’s already in play. One of two things happens depending on what once-per-turn"refers to:
    a. If “once-per-turn” refers to the whole ability, then the ability really did trigger once (a non-token unit left play due to combat damage) and Second Chances B is “used up” and can’t trigger again.
    b. If “once-per-turn” refers to the return effect only, then it didn’t get used up and can be used later that turn.
  5. Resolve the rest of the queue (arrives effects, etc.)

I don’t see an obvious argument for whether “once-per-turn” refers to the whole ability or just part of it, so we would need an official ruling. If it’s the former, then there is basically never a benefit for playing 2 copies of Second Chances, beyond hedging against a Nature Reclaims or something. If it’s the latter, then there is only a benefit in some niche circumstances, like as a counter to Judgment Day.

Note that if we changed your example to happen on your opponent’s turn (i.e. your opponent used Undo on your Stewardess while you had Second Chances in play), then the Stewardess’s arrival effect would fizzle, because it would require you to make a decision on your opponent’s turn.

1 Like

“Whenever one of your non-token units leaves play from something other than combat damage, return it to play. Once-per-turn. (Choose randomly if multiples leave at once.)” Upgrade-Second Chances

It feels like RAI is you would get this effect twice per turn; once for each Upgrade card. Also, while extremely unlikely, you could end up with multiples of every Upgrade card, thanks to Assimilate. It’s possible Hotter Fire is the only Upgrade card intended to work with multiple Upgrades in play.

If a token is in the Technician or Scavanger and get killed, does it gives you the gold/card? I ask because in the rule, dieing means going to the discard pile, but tokens do no go to discard pile.

The answer is yes, but I cannot site the source right now.

I’ll just say that if Tokens can’t give Scavenger and Technician bonuses, then almost every game I’ve seen with Green on either side was played wrong. Getting the bonuses is one of the biggest reasons that Green wants to get Wisps and such in the first place.

1 Like

Yes, tokens go to the discard. They just then immediately cease to exist because they’re not allowed to spend time in the discard.
It dies, gets moved to the discard, then as soon as it touches it, it vanishes.

2 Likes

Always played that way, but there is some ruling quotes from Sirlin that when you put them together is create doubts.

Nah it makes sense if you understand what he’s trying to say. Tokens cannot exist outside of play, so any time they go to a place that is not in play, they vanish immediately.
However, they still do very briefly go to wherever they were supposed to go before they vanish, and follow the rules for where they’re going.
That’s why a token returned to hand does not give you patrol bonuses; it goes to your hand then vanishes.
Likewise, trashed tokens don’t get you patrol bonuses. They get trashed, then they vanish.

And so on.

1 Like

Well, it would specifically combo with Rewind, in-spec, though that’s a hell of a thing to arrange.

I guess reading it put this way, I’d be inclined to interpret it as the ability did not use up it’s Once-per-turn. Because while the “trigger” did occur, the actual effect did not. And the trigger doesn’t seem to me to be part of the ability. It’s a separate thing that puts Second Chances into the queue. But once it’s in the queue the only thing Second Chances “does” once-per-turn is return a unit into play.

Hair-splitting semantics question: a Tower detects the first invisible attacker – how’s that work against a single invisible unit that can attack more than once? (Examples: Unphased Rampaging Elephant, Ready or Not Ninja with Fox’s Den in play).

From the rulings (on Tower):

When you reveal a stealth/invisible thing with your tower, that thing stays revealed the rest of the turn. It is legal for you to cast multiple spells that target that revealed thing later that turn. - Sirlin

So an invisible unit that attacks twice still won’t benefit from its invisibility if the tower saw it previously this turn.

3 Likes