Rules Questions thread

I will give more detail ok. In this game we have an effect like “stuff with a certain amount of ATK gets an ability” and another effect like “stuff with no abilities gets some ATK.” So to make those two effects generally work, I want to apply 99% of the stuff that changes ATK or abilities, then apply those two things. And to make Wandering Mimic generally work, I want to apply Wandering Mimic’s ability after those two things (so that Wandering Mimic will get stealth from other units that have stealth from Behind the Ferns).

With this setup I might calculate some of the derived state like so:
a. Crypt Crawler’s effect says Wandering Mimic loses flying
— a bunch of other stuff happens, Behind the Ferns and Midori Midband happen —
m. Wandering Mimic’s ability looks around to see if anything has flying. Cursed Crow does, so Wandering Mimic also gets flying.

This is the bug I am saying I am willing to accept, after considering a few alternatives.

If we didn’t want that, we could say oh well to Mimic + Ferns and move Mimic’s effect into the same set of things as all the other stuff that changes atk/abilities before considering Behind the Ferns and Midori’s midband. Then we might have another bug though, not just a bug with Mimic + Ferns! What if I play a Cursed Crow (at timestamp 1), then I play Wandering Mimic (at timestamp 2), then I make the Cursed Crow lose flying (at timestamp 3). In that case we might look through the effects that change abilities, sorted by timestamp, and do this:

a. Wandering Mimic’s ability looks around to see if anything has Flying. Cursed Crow does, so Wandering Mimic also gets flying.
b. Crypt Crawler’s effect causes Cursed Crow to lose flying.

So if we do it this way, we might have a Wandering Mimic be the only unit or hero with flying?? that’s too crazy!!

There are like 2 more alternatives too, but I think they also suck too much.

1 Like

I’m not quite understanding.
Why can’t we have it that if either cursed crow or wandering mimic loses flying because of crypt crawler, that the end result is wandering mimic loses flying that turn (as long as nothing else gives it flying) and maybe cursed crow too.

Related to mimic rulings line of thought :
If you use crypt crawler ability on Cloud Sprite (3/2 flying)
Does it get the boost from midband midori and become (4/3) unit ?

1 Like

I have it noted that the Cloud Sprite would be a 4/3 unit with no abilities in this case.

2 Likes

@MVashM If it were me, I would say that it still has an ability on the card, so no. Like the Crypt Crawler doesn’t just erase a line of text from a card, but it instead adds a line of text to it that says “cancel this other thing”

As for Mimic / Flying, the only way it makes sense to me is to recheck the abilities every time state based effects are checked. That means every time crypt crawler takes it down, the next thing with a time stamp after that is it giving itself back flying. The only way to defeat this would be something that said “It can’t gain flying again until end of turn”.

Per Sharpobject’s response, the above brings Codex in line with MTG functionality. That actually makes the game make more sense for me, because I am familiar with that game.

I appreciate that Sharpobject caved here, I just want to say that. I think it causes the game to make a lot more sense.

Slightly offtopic but that’s not how Magic works. In Magic, If player A has an Escaped Shapeshifter and player B has an Air Elemental and a Muraganda Petroglyphs, and Canopy Claws is played on the Escaped Shapeshifter, it does lose flying until end of turn. And if Canopy Claws is then flashbacked on Air Elemental, Air Elemental will then gain the Petroglyphs bonus.

If his max ability turns a mirror to a unit that is supposed to be placed in the owners hand upon combat death. Would the mirror token be placed in your hand and I would pay as if it was the unit? Or as the rules say no token goes into your hand so the text saying if the unit dies by combat dmg, then place In hand wouldn’t apply to this?

Tokens can’t go to hands ever.

I need to look through the MTG rulings, but I am pretty sure the Escaped Shapeshifter would still have flying if you played Canopy Claws on it until the Air Elemental loses flying.

1 Like

“Invisible again?” :

You : Backstabber; fox den school ; (ready or not)
Opponent : tower; squad leader Nimble Fencer; base life 3/20

Backstabber tries to kill the base but get detected and therefore must attack Fencer;
Exhausted Backstabber now 3/1
SqL Fencer 2/1

Use ready or not on backatabber.
Now backstabber attempts to finish the base

A) he cannot, tower already detected him this turn. He must attack squad leader first. (?)
B) he can attack the base and wins the match. (?)

If (A) is the correct answer
Use fox den school to make backstabber a ninja
A1) he can now attack the base and wins the match. (?)
A2) still cannot use invisible this turn. (?)

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure the answer to the first one is A, but I don’t know about the second one… Leaning toward A for both, but I could see it go either way.

1 Like

Once the tower has used detection on him, he can’t use any form of invisibility or stealth to sneak past for the rest of the turn.

2 Likes

He’s definitely already invisible, so making him a ninja won’t make him double-invisible.

1 Like

Ok, instead of fox den school : behind the ferns to make him get Stealth.

1 Like

Still doesn’t work, he’s detected. If you can give him another form of evasion he can be the hero!

1 Like

Oh no! You can see me!? Smoke bomb! Can you see me now? Shoot, you can? Lol funny to play that out in my head. All makes sense to me. If the army is aware to your presence, kinda hard to make them forget about ya.

2 Likes

Ok
Below events are happening in sequence in the same turn. Are the results all correct?

Crept crawler , cloude sprite, wandering mimic:
Crawler makes sprite loses flying -> mimic loses flying too

Play fairie dragon and give sprite feather -> sprite,mimic,dragon are flying

Crawler makes dragon loses flying -> only sprite, mimic are flying

Kill dragon -> no one is flying.

I would also claim that playing Claws on only the Air Elemental here will not remove flying from Shapeshifter, though that one I’m less sure of.

Sounds right to me.

If Codex were using MTG rules for this Mimic thing, I think this would apply:

http://mtg.gamepedia.com/Triggered_ability

Some triggered abilities trigger when a game state is true. These abilities trigger as soon as the game state matches the condition. These are called state triggers. A state-triggered ability doesn’t trigger again until the ability has resolved. Then, if the object with the ability is still in the same zone and the game state still matches its trigger condition, the ability will trigger again.

Example: A permanent’s ability reads, “Whenever you have no cards in hand, draw a card.” If its controller plays the last card from his or her hand, the ability will trigger once and won’t trigger again until it has resolved. If its controller casts a spell that reads “Discard your hand, then draw that many cards,” the ability will trigger during the spell’s resolution because the player’s hand was momentarily empty.

That basically confirms that a card watching for a particular game state (Mimic / Flying) triggers over and over again every time it sees that game state (flying exists on a unit somewhere), as in every second of gameplay (if we are using MTG rules here).

This is correct based on the understanding I have.

Edited to expand on one minor point:

There is a step you can ‘add’ also, based on my understanding of how it works:

Crypt crawler , cloud sprite, wandering mimic:
Crawler makes sprite lose flying → mimic loses flying too

Play fairie dragon → mimic and dragon are flying (Added step, for clarity)

Resolve the arrives trigger and give sprite feather → sprite, mimic and dragon are flying

Crawler makes dragon lose flying → only sprite and mimic are flying

Kill dragon → no one is flying.

2 Likes

Cards like Escaped Shapeshifter and Wandering Mimic do not have triggered abilities, so you should not use any part of rule 603.

1 Like