Rules Questions thread

If a Smoker is an illusion (due to Dreamscape) and gets targeted, does he die or return to hand? Active player decides?

2 Likes

Active player chooses

Are you arguing from a stated definition somewhere, or are you trying to convince me that patrollers shooting me as I fly over them are obviously not defenders?

If it’s the latter, I don’t find your argument convincing…

1 Like

I’ve taken “defender” to mean “the thing you are specifically attacking,” for instance in my wall of text about how combat works in this post. So the anti-air stuff you fly over with Pirate Gunship and don’t kill with Obliterate should hit the Gunship.

I’ll add this to the spreadsheet ok.

5 Likes

I am not trying to convince you. I am telling you that Attacker is the thing attacking and Defender is the thing being attacked. Check page 5, 2nd sentence. Under Combat section. The rulebook actually solve 99% of the rule questions if you read it carefully.

1 Like

Stupid question about Graveyard:
Technically the only times buried units are removed from the special Graveyard/buried zone are: "Sacrifice Graveyard when four or more units are buried in it (and discard those units).“
And
":arrow_heading_down: → Play a buried unit. (You still pay for it and must meet the tech reqs for it.)”

In similar nature to the Prynn Trashing question – if someone breaks, destroys, trashes or otherwise removes graveyard from play outside of it becoming too full and being sacrificed by its own ability, are any units buried there gone?
The additional rule in () seems like it is maybe a reminder style bit of text.

There is a bonus rule somewhere (should be at codexcarddb.com) that says any time the graveyard leaves play (so, not via Assimilate) the buried units go the owner’s discard pile.

If any unit has an “attacks” ability that destroys the previously only eligible target for attack, what happens? Does the attack whiff or can we choose another target that was made available by destroying the initial target?

My current example would be Plague Lord attacking the squad leader (who has only one HP left). Can I choose another patroller for damage-dealing because squad leader was eliminated when the attack started?

I have the feeling I read somewhere that the answer was “yes”, but I could not find it any more.

Nebula would also be a nice case for this.

Thanks!

If the original attack target ceases to exist in the process of attacking then a new target can be chosen, yes. This is most prominently demonstrated in the case of units with obliterate. Say for example Guargum attacks the squad leader in a patrol zone with four units, and the Obliterate ability destroys all four patrolling units. Guargum would be then able to reassign his attack target to something beyond the patrol zone, usually the base. Otherwise its 12 attack would be rather meaningless if they whiffed from facing a chump-stuffed patrol zone.

I don’t understand your example on Nebula? Nebula’s ability does not activate on attack but is instead a separate, optional ability.

1 Like

Ahh, obliterate is probably where I read this before. Thanks!

I meant that the “new eligible target appears” mechanism will also come into effect when destroying nebula.

And the “do as much as you can” approach means that it is still possible to attack, even if your “attacks” ability removes the only eligible target. The attack would then simply whiff.

1 Like

The attack wouldn’t whiff, as the base is always a legal target for an attack. Actually, I guess this isn’t true, the base could be flying and therefore not a legal target. Generally, though attacks never whiff

2 Likes

I’m sorry, I know the issue is already resolved but curiosity is getting the better of me. If Nebula is the unit being destroyed then what is its significance? What is it attacked by? How does it differ from any other unit being destroyed? And even then if it’s destroyed by an attack ability the attack wouldn’t whiff, as the base is always a target for attack (unless it’s flying, but that’s an edge case)

Nebula makes everything else invisible. So if you attack Nebula (because it’s the only target you can see) and it’s destroyed by an “attacks:” ability, could you attack another unit (which you can now see because it’s not invisible anymore)?

The answer is: Yes, you can.

2 Likes

Ok, just making up a simple example: severely damaged Nebula and Nautical Dog sit on an unpatrolled board. Doggy is invisble due to Nebula. Some flier or anti-air with “attacks: deal 1dmg to a unit :target:” attacks. Nebula dies. Suddenly, Dog becomes visible. Now, the attack could be redirected to base or Dog.

I don’t have a practical example at hand, but maybe an issue like that may arise in the context of using “all your other units are invisble”.

EDIT: :setsuki:'ed

2 Likes

How about

A
You obliterate all remaining enemy units except for Law griffin. The opponent has no tech buildings, no addons, no buildings
The only remaining things are the flyer and flying base. You cannot hit any, so attack whiffs

B
You obliterate all remaining enemy units. The enemy has morningstar pass and you have no money.
You cannot redirect attak to the pass. I guess you can redirect to the base for 0 damage

2 Likes

These look correct to me. You have to choose something to attack in case B, but it isn’t very useful.

I tapped lobber a bunch to kill his base

If something with fading dies from fading in a technician/scavenger spot, do you get the benefit?

1 Like

I don’t think so. Fading happens during your upkeep, and at that point it wouldn’t be patrolling any more (things aren’t patrolling during your turn)

4 Likes

Only if it’s done using an effect that removes fading runes from it while it’s still in the patrol slot. Not if it becomes your turn and then dies from fading.