Lum's Lucky Lottery: High Fives! - Ongoing!

I have been summoned from the ether.

The matchup is in general to Ven’s advantage (obligatory IMO). Arthur says she has “more hp and better speeds”, but functionally for the most part both of these statements are erroneous. Ven’s throw speeds and normal speeds are both faster than Jaina’s. Jaina cannot for the most part use Unstable Power because it becomes an unwinnable game (not that it was all that spectacular in the first place). She has less functional HP because not only does she have to leverage it to maintain card advantage, but Acrobatics adds theoretical HP to his pool. He also says he “Played A to blow up Kings” which makes me think that Castanietzsche used K attack on Arthur’s KD on a semi-regular basis, which is largely the least desirable option to go for in those circumstances.

What Jaina DOES have, however, are Embers and a lot of uppercuts. Ven will have to lean into getting his hands a little cooked while he backflips all over the place.

1 Like

You withdrew the post right as I was about to reply to it… well, guess I’ll use this space for imagining what vengefulpickle looks like in Persephone cosplay.

1 Like

I answered a bit quickly, I have yet to learn the matchup. But yeah Jaina depends a lot on face cards and the match changes a lot depending on her draws.
Main thing was (a bit provocating) IMO Smoldering Ember is unrelevant in strategy because its damage output is too low. I do think the same for Giant Growth.

Yes the damage is not that high, so like I said you just have to resign yourself to taking it.

I believe you are correct about Giant Growth: I had a Troq character card unlocked quite early after they became available, and one of the data bits collected is “Average Giant Growth Damage Per Game”. I have used Troq a very large amount of times, and I believe I go for Beast Unleashed probably less than almost any other Troq players, so my Giant Growth damage per game is probably higher… it was 5. So yes, negligible.

1 Like

I think I’ve crafted Troq’s character card - I’ll have a look at my stats later today, see if they’re any different.

I’ve heard about news on tabletop project on the new Patreon. If there is any chance of Yomi v3, it could be nice to tell @Sirlin about these failed mechanics. Pretty sure DeGrey, Troq and Zane need complete reworks. Outside of game balance, they lack of flavour. They have awesome options on each side of the RPS and their supposed drawbacks (no odd blocks, giant growth, hand management struggle) definitely don’t compensate their unpredictable natures to let strategy overwhelm luck.

Legion vs @Ivan
I win 4-3

:persephone::psfist::psfist::bbb: super tense game with DKO we both get a win and a rerand
:quince::psfist::pschip::zane: Quince bravely attacks on KD and throws for the win
:vendetta::pschip::psfist::zane: rekt, thanks to awesome venhands, no normals but 1 all game
:vendetta::psfist::pschip::gloria: venhands again, but gloria is no zane, i manage to win despite Ivan dominates most of the combat
:vendetta::pschip::psfist::valerie: here ven F*cks me up for the last stime, re rand time
:geiger::psfist::pschip::valerie: Super tense game, down to the wire, won cuz TD and lots of faces for a super combo.
Respect and ggs.
The game lasted an hour, but i barely noticed. Every game was super tense and down to the wire

6 Likes

Legion vs @ArthurWynne
I win 4-0
:vendetta::psfist::pschip::quince: Tough game, back and forth until the end
:vendetta::psfist::pschip::menelker: This game I had arthur’s number. Got hit maybe twice.
:vendetta::psfist::pschip::gloria: Here arthur starts strong, but between gloria self dmg and ven hitting like a truck i get back to my feet. He threatened AAA but had only 5 cards in hand and I had acro, so Attack for the win.
:vendetta::psfist::pschip::gwen: uhhhhh. here I had arthur’s number again. I hit with AAA, then a couple of turns later he resigned from the game.
Respect and ggs. Sorry to see you go away man :frowning:
Always a pleasure playing with you

1 Like

I resigned because you hit me with K attack and I was pretty sure I was dead, either immediately or via checkmate.

Also because I’m disgusted with my performance in this set.

I had a very low hand and you 13 cards. Also, I had only K and 2 as attacks in hand+ 9,T and a Joker. 26-12=14. Imo you could have won in 6 turns. I was about to give up against your gloria cuz imo I was effed up, but in the end I won. So imho, it’s not over until is over.

1 Like

Of course if I had been more confident I wouldn’t have given up there. Objectively speaking it was stupid.

As it was though I’m pretty sure I just saved us both a bit of time.

Winners Finals
Hobusu vs @Caralad

:rook: :psfist: :pschip: :zane: (lots of bad Shenanigans draws tilted him, apparently for the rest of the set…)
:geiger: :pschip: :psfist: :zane:
:geiger: :psfist: :pschip: :grave: (he misclicked and didn’t counter my third Temporal Distortion at the end of the game)
:degrey: :pschip: :psfist: :grave:
:degrey: :psfist: :pschip: :setsuki:
:gwen: :pschip: :psfist: :setsuki: (I drew no 10s the whole game)
:gwen: :psfist: :pschip: :vendetta:

Final Score: Hobusu 4 – Caralad 3
Hobusu wins

So, uh… I didn’t realize until I saw the room name Caralad had decided on that this was winner’s finals. I’m still very surprised that I’ve been doing this well, considering that I don’t actively play more than two or three characters and I’ve been on hiatus for months… Another fun set from my side at least, though Caralad apparently had a bad day at work that made him more susceptible to getting tilted. Lots of close games, some satisfying moments like dodging into a 29 damage Final Arbiter and landing a raw Pilebunker against Setsuki’s throw during a Speed of the Fox turn.

…and now I’m going to be in the Grand Finals of a tournament for the first time, in this format of all things. I’m doomed. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Most of the bad nans actually came in the second set. To put it in perspective, I think the first 3 nans were 4 4, A A, and Jk and one other card I can’t remember.

2 Likes

Legion vs @Caralad
I win 4-2

:bbb::pschip::psfist::vendetta: Perfect. 'nuff said
:persephone::pschip::psfist::vendetta: I mill most of his good cards, he still gets more and kicks my ass.
:persephone::psfist::pschip::argagarg: back and forth game, down to the wire
:persephone::psfist::pschip::quince: here caralad makes a bad mistake, attacking t1 into MC with an easily destroyable hand. From then everything goes downhill
:gloria::psfist::pschip::quince: Back and forth again, until i get 3 HS online and draw a lot ensuring a filthy big hand.
:gloria::psfist::pschip::geiger: another back and forth, I win the last 50/50 with an AAA when he had known AA.
Respect and ggs, it was a great set. See you tomorrow for TB.

2 Likes

Congrats to both our Grand Finalists, @Hobusu and @Legion!

Notable, I think, is that @Hobusu knocked both @Legion and @Caralad to the lower bracket on his way to the finals, so it should be a killer match in the finals!

3 Likes

yes, he did

Grand Finals

Hobusu vs @Legion

@mysticjuicer confirmed that he’s going to put our match at the front of his queue, so don’t open if you don’t want to be spoiled for his video!

Here There Be Spoilers

:setsuki: :pschip: :psfist: :persephone:
:setsuki: :psfist: :pschip: :gloria:
:zane: :psfist: :pschip: :gloria:
:quince: :psfist: :pschip: :gloria:
:quince: :psfist: :pschip: :lum:

Final Score: Hobusu 4 — Legion 1

Hobusu Wins!

2 Likes

Gratz to the victor! That was a really good set. I’m glad I got to record it. Look forward to the video on Monday or late Sunday. :+1:

1 Like
2 Likes