News Shop
Events Forums

[Fan Character] Design Challenge 01: "Thief"

It’s been exactly two months since the topic of a regular “design challenge” for Yomi characters came up, so I figured it was about time to actually do something with the idea!

For this one, I thought that a theme of Thief/Rogue would be good, inspired by @Nopethebard’s post in that thread. We already have a ninja and an assassin in Yomi, but “thief” has a different connotation from those and has potential to lead to interesting new gameplay ideas—after all, none of the existing characters really “steal” anything, so this is unexplored territory.

How would you make a Thief in Yomi? You can try to make a full original character, riff on an existing thief (real or fictional), or even just present a snippet of an idea, like the stealing mechanic from the post linked above. The goal isn’t necessarily for the whole community to make a single character, but rather to explore an idea by seeing it from as many different perspectives as possible.

I’m not going to place a hard time limit on how long each topic can be discussed, but based on this poll I’ll be starting a new topic every two weeks. Please suggest ideas for future themes! I’ve already got one lined up for next time, but I’ll make a poll in the first post of the next thread with the options people suggest here.

Ok, so first, I kinda want a shoto-template and a grappler-template, to make it easy to get the basic form down… So, here’s those:

Proto-Shoto

Hit Points: 90
Max Combo: ●●●●
Normal attack speed: x.6 (x = card rank)
Normal throw speed: x.6 ●● :knockdown:
Normal throw damage: 7
Attacks: 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, J*, Q, K, A
Throws: 7*, 8, 9, T*
Blocks: 5, 6, 7*, 8, 9, T*
Dodges: 2, 3, 4

Proto-Grappler

Max Combo: ●●●
Normal attack speed: x.6 (x = card rank)
Normal throw speed: x.2 ●● :knockdown:
Normal throw damage: 8
Attacks: 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, J, Q, A
Throws: 2*, 3, 4, 5, 9, T*, K, A
Blocks: 2*, 3, 6, 7, 8
Dodges: 9, T*

Ok, with that out of the way, my thought for a thief is: Howzabout stealing combo points?

The Chronophage

Hit Points: 80
Max Combo: ●●
Normal attack speed: x.4 (x = card rank)
Normal throw speed: x.6 ● :knockdown:
Attacks: 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, J*, Q, K, A
Throws: 7*, 8, 9, T*
Blocks: 5, 6, 7*, 8, 9, T*

Innate: When you hit with an attack or throw, either a) given the opponent two time counters or b) take all the opponents time counters, and add them to your Max Combo Points for this turn. When you are hit with an attack or a throw, the opponent gives you back any number of time counters, and their maximum combo points are reduced by that amount.

I haven’t really thought through what supporting abilities would like like for that innate, though… There’s probably at least one that increases time counters for free, perhaps another that gives a double-or-nothing effect akin to unstable power. I’m also not sure that 2 per hit is the right amount… Just giving 1 per hit felt like it you would average out to fewer combo points than someone like Grave, although maybe it would be ok since you’d be able to hoard them until you have a game-ending burst.

EDIT: I think that aces probably have a Can’t Combo pumpable version, and a 3 or 4 (or 5?) combo point Ender super-AA version that you basically can’t play unless you’ve built up some time counters on the opponent.

I don’t have a full stat block, but a general idea I had is a rush down character who takes Menelker’s “make the opponent discard and draw a card” one step further by having the card the thief makes the opponent give up go to the thief’s hand for his own use. When he uses the card, it goes back to his opponent’s hand.

Diego Saint-Carman, Gentleman Thief

Max Combo: ●●●
Normal attack speed: x.2 (x = card rank)
Normal throw speed: x.2 ●● :knockdown:
Attacks: 4, 5, 6, 7, J, Q, A
Throws: 2*, 3, 4, 5, 9, T*, K, A
Blocks: 2*, 3, 6, 7, 8
Dodges: 8, 9, T*

Innate: Sleight of Hand At the end of combat, if you dealt damage with a throw this turn, you may have your opponent discard the top card of their deck. If you do, search your deck or discard pile for a card of the same rank and suit as the discarded card, reveal it and put it into your hand. If they discarded a Joker, instead search your deck or discard pile for any non-Joker card, reveal it and put it into your hand.

Command normals:

4 (Golden Touch) – Attack, 2.2 speed, 4 damage, 1 CP Starter

Special moves

J (Calling Card) – Attack, 2.4 speed, 6 (1) damage, 1 CP Linker
Q (Fortune’s Smile) – Attack, +Q, 0.2 speed, 7(2)+7 damage, 2 CP Starter
K (Turn the Tables) – Throw, 8.2 speed, 10 damage, 2 CP Ender

Super moves
AA (Royal Prerogative) – Attack, 1.0 speed, 16 (3) damage, 1 CP Ender
AAA (King of Thieves) – Throw, 0.0 speed, 36 damage, Can’t Combo

Abilities

2 – Heist [End of Turn] Discard a card of the same rank and suit as a card in your opponent’s discard. (Jokers do not have any rank or suit.) Your opponent reveals their hand and you choose a card from it. They discard that card. Search your deck or discard for a card of the same rank and suit as the card they discarded. (Again, Jokers have no rank or suit.) Play this ability only if you didn’t put a card in your hand with Sleight of Hand this turn.

10 – Catch Me If You Can! [Draw Phase] Name a rank and suit. (You cannot name “Joker”, Jokers do not have any rank or suit.) If either player combat-reveals a card of that rank and suit this turn and wins combat with it, they draw three cards and the other player cannot play a combat escape card this turn. If either player combat-reveals a card of that rank and suit and does not win combat, their attacks and throws are 4.0 speed slower next turn.

I was originally going to make Diego a shoto or even rushdown character, but a focus on throws seemed fitting so I thought I’d try to make him something that doesn’t really exist in the game yet – a grappler with low health and fast attacks. That’s also why he has an extra rank of dodges. Hopefully it’s not too broken.

(Man after some reflection there’s so many crazy interactions with stealing your opponent’s cards even if they’re not Aces. I lol’d a bit thinking about the BBB matchup. I’ve been changing things.)

Cockatoo Centenary, Beastkin Burglar

Max Combo: ●●●●●
Normal attack speed: x.2 (x = card rank)
Normal throw speed: x.4 ●●● :knockdown:
Normal throw damage: 6
Attacks: 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, J, Q, A
Throws: 7, 8, 9, T*, K*
Blocks: 6, 7, 8, 9
Dodges: 2, 3, 4, 5, T*, A*

(Setsuki distribution.)

Innates

• Pick Pocket: If you successfully block an attack you may discard your block to draw a card from the top of the opponent’s deck. You must reveal the drawn card. If that card is a Joker or an Ace it must be discarded.

• Shinies: During the power up phase you may power up for non-Ace Diamond cards in any discard.

• Oblivion Realm: When you use an opponent’s card and it is supposed to be sent to the discard banish it from play instead.

Abilities

• 10* : Mimicry [Draw Phase] : Ongoing: You gain the opponent’s Innate(s). Discard this when you get hit by an attack or throw.

• K*: Flight of the Galah: When you hit with this card, draw a card from the top of the opponent’s deck. You must reveal the drawn card. If that card is a Joker or an Ace it must be discarded.

• A*: Another’s Treasure: During Combat (Dodge Side): If you dodge an attack or joker with this, don’t play a follow up card. Your opponent takes 6 damage and is knocked down, then you may also take any non-Joker or non-Ace from their discard pile. Return this card to your hand when combat ends unless you were thrown.

Special Moves / Super Moves

• J+J (Stone of Ardra) - Attack, 4.8 Speed, 8+8(5) Damage, 2 CP Starter
  • J (Parrot Shot) - Attack, 2.4 Speed, 7(2) Damage, 1 CP Ender
  • Q (Fox’s Ropedart) - Attack, 1.4 Speed, 5 Damage, 1 CP Linker
  • K* (Flight of the Galah) - Throw, 10.6 Speed, 9 Damage, Can’t Combo :knockdown:
  • AA+A+A (Critical Hit) - Attack, 0.6 Speed, 14+8+8 Damage, 2 CP Ender
  • A* (Another’s Treasure) - Dodge

I just noticed I missed an opportunity to make Joker from Smash.

Pros: Strong + Efficient early game dodge/throw with Ace + K. 1.4 Attack starter + 7.4 throw starter without opponent’s cards. Can recur own options. Can gain strong options through stealing, some of which negate character weaknesses. Seems dangerous on a large hand, even though late game dodge is lacking. Unjokerable A dodge. Cons: On attack this character has low damage efficiency. This requires lots of cards and this character has poor block distribution. “Lowish” throw damage. Doesn’t have a strong engine to get Jokers reliably. Drawing cards from the opponent’s deck doesn’t guarantee good cards + accelerates their deck.

Fixing stuff still, but current theoretical matchups so I know what to fix. This character looks very lopsided right now. There’s a lot of reasons for why I put stuff, but its not important enough to fully analyze and way too in-depth when the character is still being tweaked so much. ex. Stealing Zane’s innate, but realizing how good he does against Valerie [lack of damage efficiency until late game] /Quince [how expensive it is].
6-4 :argagarg: :bbb: :persephone: 5.5-4.5 :geiger: :gloria: :grave: :jaina: 5-5 :degrey: :lum: :onimaru: :quince: :vendetta: 4.5-5.5 :gwen: :midori: :menelker: :setsuki: :valerie: 4-6 :rook: :troq: :zane:

Really rough stuff so far, but I want to make sure I get the core idea down. I need to think hard about where this ability leads and what kind of power it has.

Corva, Shadowshifter

Max Combo: ●●●●
Normal attack speed: x.8 (x = card rank)
Normal throw speed: x.6 ●● :knockdown:
Shadows: 3, 8*, J, A
Attacks: 2, 4, 5, 6, J, Q, K, A
Throws: 7*, 8*, 9, T
Blocks: 5, 6, 7*, 9, T

Innate: Shadowmeld. When you combat-reveal a “Shadow”, discard your combat card and replace it with the top card of your opponent’s discard pile, turned to the side of your choice. If your opponent has no discard pile, or if you do not meet the requirements to play the card, you instead play no-card.

Abilities:

• 7: Preparation [Draw Phase]: reveal the top 5 cards of your deck and take all Shadows revealed into your hand. Discard the rest.
  • 8: Shadowstep [During Combat (Shadow Side)]: if you played this as a Shadow and steal an attack or throw, that attack or throw is 3.0 speed faster, to a minimum of 1.0.