Ember Sparks
Chameleon Lizzo

Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid - ($7)
Worker - ($6)
Jaina - ($4)
Careless Musketter - ($2)
BloodBURN taps to do 1 damage to Sparring Partner, now on 2 runes
Mad Man arrives and trades with Sparring Partner, you draw a card. Bloodburn back up to 4 runes - ($1)

Float ($1)
Discard 1, draw 3

[B]Board Info:[/B]
[B]In Patrol:[/B]

• :psblueshield: [I]Squad Leader[/I]: Careless Musketeer [2/1]
  • :psfist: [I]Elite[/I]:
  • :ps_: [I]Scavenger[/I]:
  • :pschip: [I]Technician[/I]: Jaina lv. 1 [2/3]
  • :target: [I]Lookout[/I]:
    [B]In Play:[/B]
  • Bloodburn [4]

[B]Buildings:[/B]

• :heart: Base HP: 20
  • :heart: Tech I HP: 5

[B]Economy Info:[/B]
[B]Cards:[/B]

• Hand: 3
  • Deck: 2
  • Disc: 4
    [B]Gold:[/B]
  • Gold: 1
  • Workers: 8
Thoughts

Yikes, didn’t really see that coming. Stupid, since all it needed from his hand was Grappling Hook, and that was a 5/8 chance. Not sure what I could have done about that, but I won’t worry about it till after the game. Now I need to find the best way back.

Actually, losing Drakk isn’t hugely bad in itself - apart from making my Bloodlust a dead card and stopping me getting Frenzy for all my units. What I’m terrified of is his max-level Rook next turn. It’s almost not worth bothering to kill him, because you have to do it twice - but that means I can’t stop Earthquakes, or for that matter Thunderclaps or Vines. Meanwhile he can patrol him in squad leader if he so chooses and form a brick wall for all my attacking attempts.

So I’m definitely going to go for Anarchy Tech 2, to try to sneak behind his patrol zone to take out his tech buildings. Plus, of course, Gunships if I can survive to Tech 3! As for this turn, I needed to get 2 patrollers out to prevent being smashed - he’s unlikely to be able to kill Jaina (but if he does I get a card back). Going to try to keep her alive and get her to max, to do more damage to his buildings - and teching Fire Spells as well for a similar reason. I wasn’t really sure which to go for, but ES is both relatively cheap and very flexible. It can’t help with units/heroes hiding behind the patrol zone, but I will have my Anarchy Tech 2 stuff for that.

You mean Bloodburn, right? Especially since Drakk got piledrived… :wink:

Player 1 Turn 4

Tech, Starting Hand and Workers

TECH

Young Lightning Dragon
Mind-Parry Monk

STARTING HAND

Snapback
Sensei’s Advice
Bird’s Nest
Rambasa Twin
Entangling Vines (technician)

WORKERS

Smoker
Fox Viper
Fox Primus
Entangling Vines

Next Hand

Aged Sensei
Safe Attacking
Morningstar Flagbearer
Grappling Hook

Discard

Sparring Partner
Young Lightning Dragon
Mind-Parry Monk
Snapback
Sensei’s Advice

Draw from Technician
Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid + float - ($9)
Worker - ($8)
Rook casts Bird’s Nest, summoning the cutest little killers ever! :hatching_chick: - ($6)
Rook kicks Careless Musketeer off the board and takes 2 damage
Level Rook to Lv. 8 (Max!), healing him - ($5)
Recruit Rambasa Twin Mario, who calls for his bro Luigi - ($1)
Patrol as shown below

Float ($1)
Discard 2, draw 4

• :psblueshield: [I]Squad Leader[/I]:
  • :ps_: [I]Scavenger[/I]: Rambasa Twin Mario (3/2)
  • :pschip: [I]Technician[/I]: Rambasa Twin Luigi (3/2)
  • Garus Rook Lv. 8 (4/6) [Unstoppable by a lone patroller, Two Lives]
  • Bird’s Nest
  • Bird #1 (1/1) [Flying]
  • Bird #2 (1/1) [Flying]

• Hand: 4
  • Deck: 1
  • Disc: 5
  • Gold: 1
  • Workers: 8
Thoughts

So far, aside from the slow cycle preventing on-schedule Tech II, this is textbook White. It’ll be nearly impossible for him to kill Rook, so the best he can hope to do is contain the wrath of the birds… But it’s a futile hope, unless he plays Gunpoint Taxman, since Safe Attacking next turn will make even a Tower unable to harm them. Sad I had to worker Entangling Vines, but if I want them I can probably tech them again… Or just get something else, at this point.

yes, sorry - typo :slight_smile:

1 Like

I really ought to concede here, but am just playing on for the hell of it to see if I can delay the inevitable enough to possibly mount a comeback.

P2T4

Tech StartingHand Workers

TECH
Steam Tank
Marauder

STARTING HAND
Charge
Gunpoint Taxman
Nautical Dog

WORKERS
Scorch
Makeshift Rambaster
Pillage
Nautical Dog

NextHand

Bloodrage Ogre
Charge
Bombaster

Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid + float - ($9)
Worker - ($8)
Build Tech 2 - Anarchy - ($4)
Gunpoint Taxman - ($2)
Bloodburn kills off one avian pest (contrary to widely-believed propaganda, they are not cute AT ALL, but vile killers)

Float ($2)
Discard 1, draw 2, reshuffle, draw 1

• :psblueshield: [I]Squad Leader[/I]: Gunpoint Taxman [3/3, Anti-air]
  • Bloodburn [3]

• :heart: Tech 2 HP: 5 (Anarchy)

• Deck: 7
  • Disc: 0
  • Gold: 2
  • Workers: 9
Thoughts

Ugh, going to concede before long, because he can certainly break my Tech 2 (suicide both Rambasas to clear out Taxman, then Rook+the remaining bird waltz past Jaina). But I see no way to prevent that. (I could just not build it, but then he can hit my Tech 1 instead and delay my getting Tech 2 stuff even more.) I’m still starved of cards, and everything is dying around me. I don’t really see any prospect of recovering, but I’ll play on for now. I wonder how it came to this - he’s not even built Tech 2 yet!

(Well, didn’t draw a Tech 2 anyway. Not sure whether this is good or bad! Maybe a Charged Ogre couuld shake things up?)

2 Likes

Player 1 Turn 5

TECH

Training Grounds
Earthquake

STARTING HAND

Aged Sensei
Grappling Hook
Safe Attacking
Morningstar Flagbearer

WORKERS

Smoker
Fox Viper
Fox Primus
Entangling Vines
Grappling Hook

Next Hand

Mind-Parry Monk
Savior Monk
Training Grounds

Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid + float - ($9)
Bird’s Nest summons a new bird (and I figured out a better method of marking which one is which, at least for this turn)
Worker - ($8)
Build Discipline Tech II - ($4)
The Bros. team up to take out Gunpoint Taxman; Mario takes a pipe back to the Mushroom Kingdom and Luigi hides in a corner somewhere (aka to Codex and to Discard)
Rook and the Bird that survived last turn ignore Jaina and destroy your Tech II, your base takes 2 damage
Research Safe Attacking - ($3)
Recruit Morningstar Flagbearer - ($0)
Patrol as shown below

Float ($0)
Discard 1, draw 1, reshuffle, draw 2

• :psblueshield: [I]Squad Leader[/I]:
  • :pschip: [I]Technician[/I]: Morningstar Flagbearer (2/2) [Must be targeted if possible]
  • Safe Attacking
  • Garus Rook Lv. 7 (4/6) [Unstoppable by a lone patroller, Two Lives]
  • Bird’s Nest
  • :hatched_chick: (1/1) [Flying]
  • :hatching_chick: (1/1) [Flying]
  • :heart: Tech II HP: 5 (Discipline)

• Deck: 7
  • Disc: 0
  • Gold: 0
  • Workers: 9
Thoughts

Just keeping up the pressure! Now that I have a Flagbearer in play, he has to get rid of it before he can continue slowing my aerial assault. Shouldn’t be too hard for him to do, but he’ll have to give me a card back, so it all works out in my favor regardless! Also, now that Safe Attacking is up, building a Tower won’t kill an attacking Bird anymore. Unless he has another Taxman, it’s curtains for him!

1 Like

What’s with calling the Rambasas Mario and Luigi? (And I know it’s not just you.) Is there some connection I’m not seeing between Tiger Monks and Italian plumbers?

1 Like

People needed a way to say “Not that Rambasa Twin, this one!” Thus, lots of people assign them (and other things when they have more than one of them) funny names. In this case I think it’s just that how close the Twins are reminded someone of the Mario Bros, and the names stuck. I’m curious who started it, though…

1 Like

P2T5

TECH
Pirate Gunship
Pirate Gunship

STARTING HAND
Bombaster
Bloodrage Ogre
Charge

WORKERS
Scorch
Makeshift Rambaster
Pillage
Nautical Dog
Bombaster

NextHand

Steam Tank
Chameleon Lizzo
Bloodlust

Discard

Gunpoint Taxman
Charge
Pirate Gunship
Pirate Gunship

Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid + float - ($11)
Worker - ($10)
Rebuild Tech 2
Bloodburn kills a bird again
Bloodrage Ogre - ($8)

Float ($8)
Discard 1, draw 3

• :psblueshield: [I]Squad Leader[/I]: Bloodrage Ogre [3/2+1A]
  • Bloodburn [3]

• :heart: Base HP: 18
  • :heart: Tech II HP: 5 (Anarchy)

• Deck: 4
  • Gold: 8
  • Workers: 10
Thoughts

Not a complicated turn here. Just trying to stall and stop him breaking Tech 2 again, while I go for Tech 3 and the gunships. I needed 2 patrollers, so that dictated my play pretty much.

My main hope here is getting to Tech 3 - we all know Pirate Gunship is a game-winner, and I don’t think Tech 2 discipline has any anti-air or fliers, so he’d have no defence other than the birds - which should be easy to pick off (bloodburn will kill 1 per turn, as can Jaina if I go to midband with her). He can only attack with 1 bird, Flagbearer and Rook, and while he can kill both patrollers (giving me a much-needed extra card in the process), he can’t do more than 4 to my Tech 2 (if bird+flagbearer take down the ogre then Rook slips past Jaina). So I can Tech 3 next turn, and then I just need to protect it long enough to play a gunship.

I can’t afford to wait another shuffle to play Gunships, so I’ve teched both of them, and hope I don’t draw both next turn before I can play them! (Actually, this was based on a misconception - for some reason I thought I was about to reshuffle while drawing my hand, but I’m still some way off that.)

I never thought I’d float so much gold - but I have nothing sensible to do with it. I need Jaina to patrol, and levelling her up does nothing to her HP, so there’s no gain to doing so this turn (other than taking more health from Rook’s first life if he kills her this turn, which I don’t think is really worth the gold investment). I would have played a second hero and levelled them up if that was a legal play (I don’t have a functional Tech 2 this turn :() So next turn, with 18 gold (!), I can buld Tech 3 and then play as much as I need to protect it and/or hurt his threatening units. I’ll probably just play the minimum needed to protect Tech 3 though, to increase my chances of getting a gunship sooner.

And my draw doesn’t look too bad - some good defence AND an attacking option in my 3-card hand :slight_smile: I may well lose, but am not going down without a fight here.

Bloodburn has to target a Flagbearer if one is on my side of the board. Do you want to change your turn based on that, or will it just hit Morningstar Flagbearer instead of a bird?

That’s Bloodburn, right? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Oops, you’re right. I think I need to change the turn in that case - but not sure how.

I don’t know when I’ll get time tonight, but I’ll definitely post a new turn in the next 12-24 hours.

(And I was going to make a point about Bloodburn/Bloodlust, but Jadiel got there before me :slight_smile: )

1 Like

…Well, now I’m sad I’ve made the same mistake. To be fair, the statement was still correct; he would have to target a Flagbearer with Bloodlust if he had played it.

1 Like

Apologies, new turn is below. Changes are very minor:

1. Have changed Bloodburn to target the flagbearer, as was required. I suspect this will make essentially zero difference, but there’s no reason not to do it, I’m not short of runes on bloodburn :slight_smile:

2. I have switched the positions of my 2 patrollers. (Yes, this is a direct result of you still having 2 birds. Can explain more of my calculations after the game, although it almost certainly doesn’t matter anyway.)

3. I have also belatedly realised it might be sensible to build a Tower with some of that huge pile of gold. This isn’t related to the rules mistake I made, just me thinking of it too late. Hopefully you’ll let me get away with it :slight_smile:

I have also redone my draw. (I don’t like my new 3-card hand as much as the previous one, but it’s not dreadful either given the circumstances. Depending on what you’ve teched/drawn, I’m almost certainly going to get battered whatever I drew.)

P2T5

TECH
Pirate Gunship
Pirate Gunship

STARTING HAND
Bombaster
Bloodrage Ogre
Charge

WORKERS
Scorch
Makeshift Rambaster
Pillage
Nautical Dog
Bombaster

NextHand

Marauder
Steam Tank
Careless Musketeer

Discard

Gunpoint Taxman
Charge
Pirate Gunship
Pirate Gunship

Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid + float - ($11)
Worker - ($10)
Rebuild Tech 2
Bloodburn does 1 damage to Morningstar Flagbearer (almost certainly irrelevant)
Bloodrage Ogre - ($8)
build Tower - ($5)

Float ($5)
Discard 1, draw 3

• :psblueshield: [I]Squad Leader[/I]: Jaina lv. 1 [2/3+1A]
  • :pschip: [I]Technician[/I]: Bloodrage Ogre [3/2]
  • Bloodburn [2]

• :heart: Base HP: 18
  • :heart: Tech II HP: 5 (Anarchy)
  • :heart: Tower HP: 4

• Deck: 4
  • Gold: 5

Player 1 Turn 6

TECH

Earthquake
Fox’s Den Students

STARTING HAND

Savior Monk
Mind-Parry Monk
Training Grounds

WORKERS

Smoker
Fox Viper
Fox Primus
Entangling Vines
Grappling Hook
Savior Monk

Next Hand

Rambasa Twin
Young Lightning Dragon

Discard

Earthquake
Fox’s Den Students

Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid - ($9)
Worker - ($8)
Summon Setsuki - ($6)
Build Training Grounds, giving my heroes +1 ATK - ($5)
My birds team up to peck your Ogre to death and are protected from your Tower by Safe Attacking, you draw 1 card
Rook walks past Jaina and single-handedly breaks your Tech II building, taking 1 damage from your Tower and dealing 2 to your base
Recruit Mind-Parry Monk, who prevents my units from being targeted by spells and abilities - ($0)

Float ($0)
Discard 0, draw 2

• :psblueshield: [I]Squad Leader[/I]: Mind-Parry Monk (5/4+a) [Prevents my units from being targeted by your spells and abilities]
  • :pschip: [I]Technician[/I]: Morningstar Flagbearer (2/1) [Must be targeted if possible]
  • :target: [I]Lookout[/I]: Setsuki Hiruki Lv. 1 (2/3) [Resist 1]

• Safe Attacking
  • Bird’s Nest
  • Garus Rook Lv. 7 (5/5) [Unstoppable by a lone patroller, Two Lives]
  • :hatched_chick: (1/1) [Flying]
  • :baby_chick: (1/1) [Flying]

• :heart: Tech II HP: 5 (Discipline)
  • Training Grounds

• Hand: 2
  • Deck: 5
  • Disc: 2

• Gold: 0
Thoughts

Continuing to oppress him. I’ve wanted to kill Jaina for a while now, and I might regret keeping her alive now, but I’ve got a really solid setup here. I’m expecting a concession soon, especially if I can use Training Grounds to max all of my heroes over the next two turns.

I think it’s time for me to call it a day - well played.

You probably guessed, I was just trying to hang on to Tech 2 (and then Tech 3) long enough to get a gunship or two on the board. But even getting to play some Tech 2 stuff might have helped! As it turns out, my hand is totally dead this turn, apart from a Careless Musketeer who I can’t even give haste to (I guess I could suicide Jaina to summon Drakk, but that wouldn’t exactly have you getting worried.) Believe it or not, I planned my turn for a bit, before realising I’d just played 2 Tech 2 units that I wasn’t allowed to!

I knew it would be over if you played Earthquake, or a YLD or two appeared - I’d overlooked Training Grounds as a way to smash my Tech 2 that turn.

I’m glad you got a win, you’re definitely overdue one in this series! As I already said, I was effectively dead after your turn 4 - I must look back over what I did those first 3 turns to see where it all went so wrong. (I’m sure Red doesn’t really suit me, mind you.)

1 Like

Good game! I think my turn 3 really decided it, since it got me some of those free levels that Rook really needs if he’s going to get to max. From there it was just white doing white things, really. I can’t look to see what the better play would have been right now, but that’s what you should focus on when looking back over the game.

Edit: Took a quick look, and that wasn’t a very good hand to work with on your turn 2. If you had skipped Bloodburn and used Makeshift Rambaster to kill Aged Sensei, you could have patrolled Mad Man… But I could still get the kill with either Grappling Hook (if you patrolled both) or Rook’s midband (if you only patrolled Mad Man). You would still have had 2 units on the board, so that might have helped you get a revenge kill, but if I had thought there was a real danger of that I would have spent the $1 to max him right after killing Drakk…

I guess maybe if you’d teched more Fire spells (especially Flame Arrow), those could have done some work since I never killed Jaina. Either that or use her as an attacker, since every turn I destroyed your Tech II and you kept her around was a turn I didn’t have to worry about Zane popping out or Drakk buffing your units. Zane would probably have worried me most when I only had max-level Rook, since suicide him wouldn’t have cost you cards or given me levels, and depending on the circumstances he could have given you a gold or card as he left.

I wouldn’t worry about Red not suiting you, since there’s several ways to play it. It is one of the harder factions, since it requires so much careful planning to avoid overextending, but if you experiment I’m sure you’ll find a plan or two that you’ll like!

Are you up for another game, @robinz?

1 Like

Yeah, I’d cetainly accept another game.

I’d really like to start experimenting with some multicolor decks - but it’s probably sensible to play another game as Red so I hopefully don’t make a hash of it this time :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s up to you, but I was just thinking that I’d like to try a multicolor myself! I’ll only try it if you use a multicolor codex; if not, I’ll stick with White.

OK, I’ll try to be a bit crazy - so you can join me! I have no idea if this deck even really does much (it’s not as if I’m looking at a specific combo that’ll win the game, although there are a few possibilities maybe), I’ve got a feeling it might crash and burn horribly. But I think it sounds fun so I have to try it in a game at some point :wink:

So I’m going to try [Future]/Necromancy/Balance. If you want to roll for first player, I got 52/100.

1 Like