Casual : Fenrir vs Robinz - Flagstone Dominion vs [Future]/Necro/Balance

@robinz

Fenrir, Turn 1

Upkeep

Hand at start of turn

Reputable Newsman, Bluecoat Musketeer, Porkhand Magistrate, Arrest, Manufactured Truth

Get Paid ($4)

Main Phase

Worker a card ($3)

Worker

Porkhand Magistrate

Play Reputable Newsman and name spells and upgrades of cost TWO. ($1)

Discard 3; Draw 5

Float 1

**Board Info : **

Patrol
:psblueshield: Squad Leader: Reputable Newsman (0/3 + :psblueshield:)
:psfist: Elite:
:ps_: Scavenger:
:pschip: Technician:
:target: Lookout:

In Play

Buildings :
:heart: Base HP: 20

**Economy Info : **
Cards :
Hand: 5
Deck 0
Discard 3

Hand at end of turn

Jail, Building Inspector, Spectral Aven, Lawful Search, Traffic Director

[details=Thoughts]Easy first turn, the only controversial decision was workering porkhand and keeping musketeer. I figure the musketeer might do some work if I come up against a hardened mox… Will tech scribe and cadet probably. I want to flood the board with cheap critters to context his skeletons and basalisks at tech 1.

I don’t expect to see tech 1 future units.

I’m assuming I’ll see Garth + skeleton next turn since I’ve basically shut down almost all of the purple starter options.

I’ll probably play Spectral Aven next turn if I feel that I can get away with it.[/details]

P2T1

StartingHand Workers

STARTING HAND
Plasmodium
Temporal Research
Battle Suits
Tinkerer
Fading Argonaut

WORKERS
Battle Suits

NextHand

Nullcraft
Neo Plexus
Hardened Mox
Forgotten Fighter
Time Spiral

Discard

Plasmodium
Temporal Research
Tinkerer

Tech 0 card(s)
Get Paid - ($5)
Worker - ($4)
Fading Argonaut - ($2)
summon Garth Torken - ($0)

Float ($0)
Discard 3, draw 5

[B]Board Info:[/B]
[B]In Patrol:[/B]

• :psblueshield: [I]Squad Leader[/I]: Fading Argonaut [2/3+1A, fading, 3 runes]
  • :psfist: [I]Elite[/I]:
  • :ps_: [I]Scavenger[/I]:
  • :pschip: [I]Technician[/I]:
  • :target: [I]Lookout[/I]:
    [B]In Play:[/B]
  • lv 1 Garth [1/3]

[B]Buildings:[/B]

• :heart: Base HP: 20

[B]Economy Info:[/B]
[B]Cards:[/B]

• Hand: 5
  • Deck: 0
  • Disc: 3
    [B]Gold:[/B]
  • Gold: 0
  • Workers: 6
Thoughts

This feels EXTREMELY similar to my opening hand in the last game, where I did exactly the same thing. I don’t really see any other play as viable - monoblue is pretty slow out of the blocks, so I might be able to get away with Tinkerer (he’ll certainly survive at least a turn), but I have no good targets to use his ability on. And I can’t see beyond next turn also going the same way (Mox+Tech 1+worker).

Newsman on 2 will mean I either have to avoid Lich’s Bargain, or kill him first. Not sure which I’ll do yet - but since he won’t be being too aggressive I might start with double Bone Collector this game, and go full out for skeletons. Otherwise, the plan is much as before: turtle up and make lots of skeletons, hopefully get some time rune removal going on, and play for Future Tech 2. I’ll definitely put some Doom Grasps and Assimilates in there if he threatens me with units/heros or plays good upgrades/buildings, respectively. (Assimilating a Jail could be fun, although not as much as Eyes of the Chancellor!) I might need a rethink if he goes for Truth, because I don’t have a lot of unit-targeting effects other than Doom Grasp, which is very expensive if I’m just using it to pierce illusions. Unphase might be handy for that, as well as its obvious uses on my own units. Looks like I should go for an early Heroes’ Hall again - hopefully this time I might actually be allowed to have 2 heroes out!

Actually, on the subject of illusions, Spectral Aven could be a real headache - I don’t have anything that can target it in my starting deck, and no anti-air either, or even at Tech 1. (Gemscout owl as a chump blocker, perhaps. Oh yeah, and how did I forget Nullcraft?) And by summoning Garth I won’t be playing Unphase early. But I’ll think about what to do about that next turn (yeah I know, it’s probably a turn too late).

Fenrir, Turn 2

Upkeep

Tech

Scribe, Tax Collector

Hand at start of turn

Jail, Building Inspector, Spectral Aven, Lawful Search, Traffic Director

Get Paid ($5) + Float ($1) = $6!

Main Phase

Worker a card ($5)

Worker

Jail - yeah, I ain’t letting this get assimilated… goodbye!

Summon Quince ($3) he comes with a mirror Illustion

Build Tech 1 ($2)

Summon Building Inspector ($1)

Float $1

Discard 3; Draw 5

Patrol
:psblueshield: Squad Leader: Mirror Illusion (0/1 + :psblueshield:)
:ps_: Scavenger: Sirus Quince (1/3)
:pschip: Technician:

In Play
Building Inspector (1/1)
Reputable Newsman (0/3)

Buildings :
:heart: Tech I HP: 5

Cards :
Deck 3
Discard 0

Hand at end of turn

Scribe, Spectral Aven, Arrest, Bluecoat Musketeer, Traffic Director

[details=Thoughts]Ok, I managed to get building inspector out which makes for an awkward turn for Robin. He can’t possibly justify paying three for his tech I building which means he has to summon nullcraft to kill the inspector. But doing that means that he can’t kill Quince this turn. In any case he’ll be lucky to manage much in the way of gold efficiency this turn. In fact I’m quite hopeful that this will force him to do not much of a turn and float some gold.

I’ve teched the usually pretty terrible Tax Collector for just this reason (though I didn’t draw him - :frowning: )

If I can steal a gold that’ll be amazing, if not well, I’m happy to trade cheap units into basalisks and his necro tech 1s don’t scare me too badly. If he tries to skeleton rush I can swarm the board with just as many units, except my units are better. I suspect with newsman and traffic director limiting his options quite a bit he might go for a hero strategy. In which case I’ll tech free speech for teh luls. If no heroes hall or sudden level ups are forthcoming I’ll tech double Cadet like always.[/details]

P2T2

Tech StartingHand Workers

TECH
Bone Collector
Bone Collector

STARTING HAND
Hardened Mox
Time Spiral
Nullcraft
Forgotten Fighter
Neo Plexus

WORKERS
Battle Suits
Forgotten Fighter

NextHand

Time Spiral
Neo Plexus
Temporal Research
Bone Collector
Plasmodium

Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid - ($6)
Fading Argonaut fades to 2 runes
Worker - ($5)
Nullcraft, kills Building Inspector, taking no damage - ($3)
Build Tech 1 - ($1)
Garth summons a skeleton - ($0)
Fading Argonaut kills the mirror illusion, taking no damage

Float ($0)
Discard 3, reshuffle, draw 5

• :psblueshield: [I]Squad Leader[/I]: lv 1 Garth [1/3+1A]
  • :pschip: [I]Technician[/I]: Skeleton [1/1]
  • Nullcraft [1/1, Flying, Haste, can’t be buffed/debuffed]
  • Fading Argonaut [2/3, fading, 2 runes]

• :heart: Tech 1 HP: 5

• Deck: 3
  • Disc: 0
  • Workers: 7
Thoughts

This seemed straightforward enough. Building Inspector would get really annoying if he hangs around, so that’s a great excuse to get Nullcraft out and blast him. And I see absolutely zero reason not to take out the mirror - I take no damage, and that takes away any possibility of him attacking me with a copy of something next turn (he can summon a new mirror, but it’ll cost him gold and the new one can’t attack next turn). He can only attack me with Quince, who can only do 1 attack even at max level. I feel relatively comfortable here - the Newsman is annoying, but I don’t NEED spells that cost 2 yet, and I’m sure I can kill him in a few turns’ time if I need to. I’ve teched 2 BC’s, will peacefully make skeletons for a while before going for Tech 2, probably Future but I may decide on Necromancy instead.

Your tech I costs $2 as you are multi colour. :wink:

I know that, and paid $2. The money totals shown after each action are a running total of how much you have left, not the cost of each action. You’ll see I went down from $3 to $1, so I don’t think there’s any problem here :slight_smile: (Although I do have a tendency to make rules mistakes, so do keep watching :wink: )

Oh yeah, my bad.

Fenrir, Turn 3

Upkeep

Tech

Spectral Hound x2

Hand at start of turn

Get Paid ($6) + Float

Main Phase

Worker a card ($6)

Worker

Bluecoat Musketeer

Build Tower ($3)

Play Scribe from hand ($1), draw a card

Card Drawn

Tax Collector

Play Traffic Director ($0)

Discard 3; Draw 5

Patrol
:psblueshield: Squad Leader: Scribe (1/3 + :psblueshield:)
:psfist: Elite: Traffic Director (2/1)
:pschip: Technician: Reputable Newsman (0/3)

In Play
Sirus Quince 1/3

Buildings :
:heart: Tower HP: 4

Cards :
Deck 3
Discard 0

Hand at end of turn

Lawful Search, Spectral Aven, Arrest, Manufactured Truth, Tax Collector

[details=Thoughts]Well, Tax Collector is quickly proving itself a dead card… And I’m behind on board because I foolishly played Building inspector raw instead of hiding him behind an Aven. But, that’s ok, I’ve got my tower now which will let me get better trades. If I lose newsman then I gain a card and there’s a 2/3 chance that its a hound. I’d really like to get both hounds out next turn and rush tech II the turn after.

Actually the plan is to lawful search, hopefully draw a hound, play the hound and Tech II.

I’mma tech double Macciatus![/details]

I was just about to post my turn, but in putting together my “thoughts” post something struck me as odd, and it is this: how did you play Building Inspector again so soon?

You only have one of him, and I killed him last turn. He should have been the only card in your discard pile (other than your 2 newly teched cards) at the start of your turn. You had 3 left in your deck, and have drawn 1 with scribe - so how has the Inspector found his way to your hand?

Sorry! That should say Traffic Director. I got mixed up between my two 1/1 for 1 guys

I’m just going to start posting pictures of the board state again, it’s easier.

2 Likes

P2T3

TECH
Doom Grasp
Tiny Basilisk

STARTING HAND
Time Spiral
Neo Plexus
Bone Collector
Plasmodium
Temporal Research

WORKERS
Battle Suits
Forgotten Fighter
Neo Plexus

NextHand

Temporal Research
Bone Collector
Tinkerer
Hardened Mox
Tiny Basilisk

Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid - ($7)
Fading Argonaut fades to 1 rune
Worker - ($6)
play Bone Collector - ($4)
Nullcraft kills Traffic Director, and dies due to your Tower
Fading Argonaut attacks Scribe, dealing 1 damage through his armour, and taking 2 damage
Garth makes another skeleton - ($3)
build a Heroes’ Hall - ($1)

Float ($1)
Discard 3, draw 3, reshuffle, draw 2

• :psblueshield: [I]Squad Leader[/I]: Skeleton [1/1+1A]
  • :ps_: [I]Scavenger[/I]: Bone Collector [3/3]
  • :pschip: [I]Technician[/I]: Skeleton [1/1]
  • Fading Argonaut [2/1, fading, 1 rune]
  • lv 1 Garth (1/3)
  • :heart: Tech I HP: 5
  • :heart: Heroes’ Hall HP: 4

• Deck: 4
  • Gold: 1
  • Workers: 8
Thoughts

I really didn’t expect my Fading Argonaut to fade away without being killed. I suppose the passive start from monoblue is expected. Since he’s disappearing at my next upkeep, I might as well attack with him to get some value - I am not badly off for patrollers.

I’ve traded Nullcraft for Traffic Director mainly to just reduce the units he has on the board, and therefore the damage he can do. As it is, he’s only left with 2 it would seem (it’s nice that Quince can’t do more than 1 damage even at max level), but I have to be wary of Manufactured Truth. If he has it in hand, it would turn his Newsman into a Bone Collector, giving him 5 attack. I’ve patrolled so that this won’t let him break through to kill Garth. It would be sad to lose the Bone Collector without attacking and making another skeleton, but so be it.

I would have liked Tech 2 this turn, but building that would have left me unable to make a skeleton - with Garth seemingly not in imminent danger of dying, and me only able to make 1 per turn, skipping that would seem a waste. I can build tech 2 next turn, and wait for another shuffle. (Still not fully decided between Necro and Future - his next turn may give me a hint.)

As for what to Tech, Doom Grasp, although expensive, is a great way to get rid of anything dangerous he might have in the way of heroes or units - I may well choose not to play it the first time I draw it, but it’s great to know the option is there. I was going to tech Unphase along with it, before I remembered the Newsman was blocking 2-cost spells. So I’ve gone with Tiny Basilisk instead, as a way to try to engineer some good trades. If I get Unphase active in a couple of turns, it’d make a great combo with the Basilisk!

The Heroes’ Hall is probably not so essential if I’m not teching Future spells yet, but it would be good to have Vir on the board, for a number of uses: another reasonable body, the draw manipulation, and the ability to cast Time Spiral/Temporal Research for cheap if I end up going with Future. Although I could always go for Midori instead - making all my skeletons 2/2s could be fun!

Fenrir, Turn 4

Upkeep

Tech

Community Service, Free Speech

Hand at start of turn

Lawful Search, Spectral Aven, Arrest, Manufactured Truth, Tax Collector

Get Paid ($7)

Main Phase

Worker a card ($6)

Worker

Spectral Aven

Lawfully Search your hand. The Government has a right to see your cards in the event of an national emergency. Sir, do you have a permit for this Basilisk? ($5) Draw a card.

It’s a Spectral Hound!

I play Spectral Hound ($4)

I play Tax Collector ($2), I also collect $1 in gold from your stockpile. We’re all required to do our part in service of the nation. ($3)

I create another Mirror Illusion with Quince’s top band. ($1)

Float $1

Discard 2; Draw 4

Patrol
:psblueshield: Squad Leader: Spectral Hound (3/3 + :psblueshield:)
:psfist: Elite: Tax Collector (3/3)
:pschip: Technician: Scribe (1/2)

In Play
Sirus Quince (1/3)
Mirror Illusion (0/1)
Reputable Newsman (0/3) blocking spells and upgrades of cost $2

Buildings :

Cards :
Hand: 4
Deck 4
Discard 0
Float $1

Hand at end of turn

Spectral Hound, Building Inspector (for real this time), Free Speech, Community Service

[details=Thoughts]OK, this isn’t an ideal turn. I’ve turtled up, which is not a winning strategy in Codex. The attacker always has the advantage in Codex; because they get to choose who hits what they can always take the good trades. But, between my tower and the host of cheap units I’ve played this seems like relatively stable position. Robin can attack into my patrollers but he won’t get a lot of value out of that because they’re dirt cheap and he’ll lose a lot in return.

I’ve delayed my tech II building a turn, which is kind of bad but Robin also skipped his tech II so I’m not too troubled. I knew I was going to skip as soon as I saw that Robin had floated a gold. I can’t resist playing Tax Collector for actual value… With that in mind I’ve teched two spells. Since Robin has built a heroes hall I’ve got Free Speech, that’ll frustrate any attempt to abuse Midori’s midband or to use Garth’s spells for removal.

Moving on from here I’m going to try to let Newsman die. I want to play him again and switch his value to something more threatening like blocking Doomgrasp.

I absolutely must build tech II next turn. I’ll be going Truth. My cheap illusions will make Doomgrasp inefficient and I’ll get tonnes of value out of Macciatus since I’ve already teched two Dogs.

I was considering a trickshot play with Community Service for next turn but honestly… it doesn’t seem worth it.

There was an alternate play this turn in which I used manfactured truth to copy his bone collector and summon myself a skeleton. Which… thinking about it probably would’ve been the better play. And also it would’ve been a very entertaining play. So there’s that too.[/details]

4 Likes

P2T4

TECH
Hive
Promise of Payment

STARTING HAND
Hardened Mox
Tinkerer
Bone Collector
Tiny Basilisk
Temporal Research

WORKERS
Battle Suits
Forgotten Fighter
Neo Plexus
Hardened Mox

Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid + float - ($9)
lose a gold due to those penny-pinching government officials (I’ll have you know I have an official licence for the breeding of Basilisks, although I seem to have mislaid it - look this one is tiny, OK, surely you won’t notice it? Well I guess I don’t need it after all, due to your theft of my gold. Move along, nothing to see here…) - ($8)
Fading Argonaut fades back into the past
Worker - ($7)
build Tech 2 (Future) - ($3)
play my second Bone Collector - ($1)
Garth makes yet another skeleton - ($0)

Float ($0)
Discard 3, draw 4, reshuffle, draw 1

NextHand

Nullcraft
Doom Grasp
Fading Argonaut
Plasmodium
Time Spiral

• :psblueshield: [I]Squad Leader[/I]: Skeleton (1/1+1A)
  • :psfist: [I]Elite[/I]: Skeleton (1+1/1)
  • :ps_: [I]Scavenger[/I]: Bone Collector (3/3)
  • :pschip: [I]Technician[/I]: Skeleton (1/1)
  • :target: [I]Lookout[/I]: Bone Collector (3/3)
  • lv 1 Garth (1/3)
  • :heart: Tech II HP: 5 (Future)

• Deck: 5
  • Workers: 9
Thoughts

Just turtling up here - much like he is! It’s a shame I didn’t have enough gold to play Vir or Tiny Basilisk in addition to what I’ve done this turn, but so be it. It’s also sad not to attack with the Bone Collector, but it would have died, and I’d have to trade an entire Skeleton as well to kill it off. I’d rather force him to injure it to take out a single one of my units.

If he attacks with everything, with the help of Man. Truth and Quince’s midband, he can clear all of my patrol and even kill Garth - but that’ll also get rid of most of his board while giving me extra resources. It’ll also cost him 5 of his 9 gold to get that set up. I think Hive is the best of my Tech 2 units to deal with what he’s doing so far, and I’ve also teched Promise of Payment (which doesn’t cost 2!) to help me afford things. I await with bated breath which spec he’s playing at Tech 2, because they all play VERY differently and will require different responses (but Hive should do fine against all of them).

1 Like

Fenrir, Turn 5

Upkeep

Tech

Macciatus x2

Hand at start of turn

Spectral Hound, Building Inspector (for real this time), Free Speech, Community Service

Get Paid ($8) + Float ($1) = ($9)

Main Phase

Worker a card ($8)

Worker

Building Inspector

Build Tech II [Truth] ($4)

Tax Collector attacks Skeleton in SL killing it and taking one damage.

Quince attacks the Skeleton in Elite killing it and taking two damage.

I level Quince to midband ($2) he heals.

Mirror Illusion Copies the bone Collector in Scavenger then attacks and kills it, you gain a gold I gain a Skeleton! ($0)

Spectral Hound attacks into your Bone Collector in lookout they both die.

Scribe attacks your Skeleton in Technician and it dies, Scribe takes one damage. The pen IS mightier than the sword. You draw a card.

Discard 3; Draw 5

Patrol
:psblueshield: Squad Leader: Skeleton (1/1 + :psblueshield:)

In Play
Sirus Quince (1/4) Midband (level 3) - Not level 4 like in the picture.
Scribe (1/1)
Tax Collector (2/2)

Buildings :
:heart: Tech II HP: 5

Cards :
Deck 1
Discard 0

Hand at end of turn

Traffic Director, Macciatus, The Whisperer, Arrest, Manufactured Truth, Lawful Search

[details=Thoughts]Remember last turn how I talked about the attacker having the advantage? Well, Robin didn’t attack at all last turn and so this turn I get to attack with pretty much everything. In fairness, normally when you attack you want to make good trades and given the board state that we had the best Robin was going to get was even trades on value. So I can see why he decided to block up. Nevertheless, there’s a rule in strategy games in general that it’s better to act than to react so this turn I decided to take the initiative.

I’m able to make a bunch of great trades here. I attacked several times this turn in such a way as to kill things without losing a unit of my own. And those times I did lose something it was typically at a gold advantage. Also I killed both of his Bone Collectors before he attacked with them, meaning they ended up being pretty inefficient in terms of gold.

I finally build my tech II, late, which means Robin will get to play tech II units first. I’m not worried. I’ve got enough of a board presence that I can reasonably block up and rush tech III next turn. Which is my default plan unless something surprising happens.[/details]

1 Like

Don’t read until after game end:

[details=Thoughts][spoiler]
I think it’s worth noting that Fenrir had already played a Spectral Hound, and you were worried about getting some targeting ability to deal with illusions.

You might still be right about Hive being the best all-around, but Xenostalker, while limited to patrollers, targets, so would be great for taking out patrolling hounds (or any other patrolling illusions) and 1/1s.
[/spoiler][/details]

2 Likes

P2T5

TECH
Void Star
Xenostalker

STARTING HAND
Nullcraft
Time Spiral
Plasmodium
Doom Grasp
Fading Argonaut
Tiny Basilisk

WORKERS
Battle Suits
Forgotten Fighter
Neo Plexus
Hardened Mox
Plasmodium

NextHand

Temporal Research
Hive
Promise of Payment
Bone Collector
Tinkerer

Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid - ($9)
get a gold from Scavenger’s death - ($10)
draw a card from Technician’s death
Worker - ($9)
Garth makes a skeleton - ($8)
Garth casts Doom Grasp, sacrificing the skeleton to kill off Quince. Garth gains 2 free levels (now level 3) - ($4)
Garth levels up to maxband, fetching a Void Star from my discard pile and putting it into play - ($0)

Float ($0)
Discard 4, draw 4, reshuffle, draw 1

• :psblueshield: [I]Squad Leader[/I]: max Garth (3/4+1A)
  • :pschip: [I]Technician[/I]:
  • Void Star (5/4, flying, overpower)

• Deck: 7
  • Workers: 10
Thoughts

I can’t decide if I messed up that previous turn or not. He’s done pretty well out of it, wiping my board (except Garth) while keeping much of his alive - but could I have done better by picking what got to attack what? It’s hard to say.

Anyway, I need to get rid of Quince before his mirror shenanigans get out of hand - and in Doom Grasp I drew the perfect way to do that. I actually had this turn planned several hours ago, but tried other ways too - I was fretting over him playing Manufactured Truth to copy my Void Star and trade with it. It was only just now I checked the card text and saw that it can’t copy Tech 2 units! Well that’s all right then. I can’t stop him killing Garth, assuming he does finally have and chooses to play that evil spell (I can’t believe he’s workered it) - but to do so would lead to most if not all of his board dying. Meanwhile I have a flying source of 5 overpower attack, which I can power up to 9 if I so choose. As far as I can see, his only real defences against that which he could play now are Spectral Aven (which has been curiously absent so far) and Spectral Roc - and even the latter can be dealt with by 9 overpower attack, thank you very much (yes my VS will die too), but you can’t have everything.

Am I claiming I’m ahead? No, I honestly have no idea what’s going on in this game now, or who’s ahead. But I feel reasonably OK about things, I can promise to pay for a Hive next turn, and probably use the gold saving to get some levels on Vir, if nothing else. The most annoying thing I can think of that he can do is Bigby + Injunction on my Tech 2. Let’s see what the next twist in this game is :slight_smile:

(Oh, and I didn’t patrol the Void Star in order to avoid it getting Arrested. It does put me in danger of Spectral Aven+ Man. Truth hitting a tech building or my base, but I decided that was the less serious risk.)

Fenrir, Turn 6

Upkeep

Tech

Spectral Roc, Liberty Griffin

Hand at start of turn

Traffic Director, Macciatus, The Whisperer, Arrest, Manufactured Truth, Lawful Search

Get Paid ($9)

Main Phase

Worker a card ($8)

Worker

Traffic Director

Build Tech III ($3)

Summon Macciatus, The Whisperer

Discard 3; Draw 5

Float $1

Patrol
:psblueshield: Squad Leader: Tax Collector (2/2 + :psblueshield:)
:psfist: Elite: Skeleton (2/1)
:ps_: Scavenger: Scribe (1/1)

In Play
Macciatus, The Whisperer (3/3)

Buildings :
:heart: Tech III HP: 5

Cards :
Deck 0
Discard 2

Hand at end of turn

Macciatus, Spectral Hound, Spectral Hound, Free Speech, Community Service

[details=Thoughts]Well… shit, I didn’t see that coming. I really needed the newsman to die a couple of turns ago and come out again blocking four. Now I’ve got to worry about death rights and all kinds of bullshit.

I’m definitely going to lose a tech building next turn. That’s not up for debate. I’mma lose one the turn after aswell. But given that I’ve build my Tech III I at least have the option select of making Robin guess which one he needs to destroy. Of course if he plays another Void Star next turn he basically wins…

So. Where does that leave me? Desperate to tech anti-air options is the answer. A spectral Roc or a Griffin is enough to get me out of this but those are both conditional on tech buildings living. My only other alternative is to tech elite training and try to make my other units do work as anti-air fighters. Next turn I may have to tech two copies thereof.

I do have one OTHER slightly sneaky trick. And that’s community service. If I make the right call I may very well be able to steal a powerful tech II flying unit from my opponent. But will I check his hand or his discard. (Depends which is larger is probably the answer…)

[/details]

P2T6

StartingHand Workers

STARTING HAND
Hive
Tinkerer
Temporal Research
Promise of Payment
Bone Collector
(Tiny Basilisk was on top of the deck)

WORKERS
Battle Suits
Forgotten Fighter
Neo Plexus
Hardened Mox
Plasmodium
Temporal Research

NextHand

Bone Collector <- paced on top of deck in exchange for Basilisk
Time Spiral
Doom Grasp

Discard

Promise of Payment
Tinkerer

Tech 0 card(s)
Get Paid - ($10)
Worker - ($9)
summon Vir - ($7)
Vir casts Promise of Payment
play Hive, paying no gold. 5 stingers arrive along with it. I must pay 6 gold at my next upkeep or lose the game!
pay 4 to power Void Star up to 9 attack - ($3)
Void Star kills Tax Collector and overpowers 6 damage onto your Tech 3, destroying it. Your base takes 2 damage, VS takes 1 from the tower.
Vir peeks at the top card of my deck, and pays 1 to swap it with a card from my hand - ($2)
play Tiny Basilisk, since the wildlife permit inspectors seem to have gone away - ($0)

Float ($0)
Discard 1, draw 3

• :psblueshield: [I]Squad Leader[/I]: Tiny Basilisk (1/2, deathtouch, unattackable and unstoppable by Tech 0s)
  • :psfist: [I]Elite[/I]: Hive (0+1/6, flying, resist 1)
  • :ps_: [I]Scavenger[/I]: max Garth (3/4)
  • :pschip: [I]Technician[/I]: lv 1 Vir (2/3)
  • Void Star (5/3, flying, overpower)
  • Stinger (1/1, flying)
  • Stinger (1/1, flying)
  • Stinger (1/1, flying)
  • Stinger (1/1, flying)
  • Stinger (1/1, flying)

• Hand: 3
  • Deck: 4
  • Disc: 2
  • Workers: 11
Thoughts

I’m really REALLY surprised by his last turn. I guess it must have been some kind of sucky draw, perhaps a hand full of Quince’s spells that he could no longer play?

Don’t get me wrong, that Tech 3 is a HUGE threat, because Liberty Gryphon is insane - a hasty flier (seriously, what is with it having haste? that seems so out of character with the rest of Blue) that only costs 3? At least I should be thankful that he doesn’t have any other illusions on the board or that thing is ridiculous - but I bet he could put one down alongside it given the chance. So I have to break his Tech 3 - which of course he always knew I could. I suppose by doing so he stopped me breaking his Tech 2.

I’ve chosen to pay an extra 4 to take out the Tax Collector as well, which may seem a little gratuitous, as that’s more than he paid for him, AND he might come back and pinch my gold again. BUT, since I’m moving into complete control on this board, I think it’s important to kill as much as possible (and that TC had the highest attack of all the patrollers, Overpower sadly doesn’t work if I kill Macciatus first) to minimise the risks of any funny business. I will only have 5 gold next turn after paying my debts on the Hive, but I’ll have a huge army of fliers so I may not need to play anything from hand at all. And finding the basilisk on top of my deck was a small stroke of luck too - it means that any Tech 1 or Tech 2 unit who wants to come after my heroes has to “take one for the team”, and the Tech 0s can’t do enough attack by themselves to have significant impact. I’m not even too bothered if Garth and/or Vir die (although the free levels for him are annoying.) Although that was written before seeing my next hand - I really want Garth to live because DG is amazing, I can spend 4 gold next turn even after playing a worker!

Top priority next turn will be to take out the Tower, because that will allow my Stingers to ping stuff uninterrupted. (But of course he’ll rebuild Tech 3 and I’ll probably have to smash that all over again. I should be able to do both unless Spectral Roc makes an appearance.)

And I’m not teching anything now because I don’t have to, and am quite happy with my deck once I’ve eliminated a bit more chaff (Tinkerer+Time Spiral, they would have been great for a time rune plan which I’d like to play at some time, but didn’t materialise this game).

Fenrir, Turn 7

Upkeep

Tech

Final Judgement x2

Hand at start of turn

Macciatus, Spectral Hound, Spectral Hound, Free Speech, Community Service

Get Paid ($10) + Float ($1) = ($11)

Main Phase

Summon Sirus Quince, he comes with an illusion. ($9)

Summon two spectral hounds from hand ($7)

Play Free Speech, your heroes can’t cast spells and lose all abilities until my next turn.

Rebuild Tech III

Float ($5)

Discard 2; Draw 4

Patrol
:psblueshield: Squad Leader: Spectral Hound (4/4 + :psblueshield:)
:psfist: Elite: Reputable Newsman (1/3)
:ps_: Scavenger: Spectral Hound (4/4)
:pschip: Technician: Scribe (1/1)
:target: Lookout: Skeleton (1/1)

In Play
Sirus Quince (1/3)
Macciatus (3/3)
Mirror Illusion (1/2)

Buildings :
:heart: Tech III HP: 5

Cards :
Hand: 4
Deck 8
Discard 0

Hand at end of turn

Judgement Day, Macciatus, Community Service, Lawful Search

[details=Thoughts]If Robin had’ve just gone ham and hit my base for nine last turn he’d have been ready to kill me this turn. I still have no flyers or access to anti-air. I’m defenceless.

Given that he didn’t do that he also missed a trick last turn by failing to kill my technician. With my deck empty killing my technician would’ve forced a reshuffle, leaving my tech cards from this turn stranded in my discard for at least one more turn, probably two. As it happens I teched two of the same card and managed to draw one (67% chance to draw at least one of them).

So now Robin can see my great big value board of lots of mid sized bodies and I’m hoping that he decides to start trading for advantage into that board. Trying to build a bigger and bigger board advantage until he can crush me.

I’d actually be a lot more scared if he tried to rush my base.

I’ve constrained Robin pretty hard between Free Speech and him only having three cards. With luck at least one of them will be spells. That means Robin will almost certainly spend his gold going to Tech III himself.[/details]