CAPS 2017: Penatronic ([Present]/Peace/Blood) vs. FrozenStorm ([Demon]/Necro/Finesse)

"P1T9

Tech StartingHand Workers

TECH
Drill Sergeant
Drill Sergeant

STARTING HAND
War drums
Kidnapping
Kidnapping
Eager Cadet (3/2A)

WORKERS
Time Spiral
Tinkerer
Plasmodium
Fargonaut (2/3), fading 3
Forgotten Fighter
War drums

NextHand

Flagstone Garrison
Neo Plexus
Ready or Not
Bootcamp

Discard

Bootcamp
Art of War
Temporal Research
Kidnapping
Eager Cadet (3/2A)
Kidnapping
Drill Sergeant
Drill Sergeant

Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid + float - ($10)
mox kills fencer
onimaru suicides into dozer, it has 3 health left * I originally didnt have these levels going anywhere, but either place they go it doesnt matter*
summon and midband drakk - ($5)
kidnap dozer, mox dies, RIP heroic mox - ($1)
cadet kills garth, maxband drakk
dozer trades with vandy, 2 levels for geiger, overpower goes nowhere
nothing to destroy from dozer
play eager cadet, haste and frenzy
new cadet and geiger destroy your t2, your base takes 2
worker - ($0)

Float ($0)
Discard 2, draw 4

[B]Board Info:[/B]
[B]In Patrol:[/B]

• :psblueshield: [I]Squad Leader[/I]: L6 Drakk (3/4A)
  • :psfist: [I]Elite[/I]:
  • :ps_: [I]Scavenger[/I]:
  • :pschip: [I]Technician[/I]:
  • :target: [I]Lookout[/I]:
    [B]In Play:[/B]
  • Battle Suits (upgrade)
  • L3 Geiger (2/4), sparkshot
  • Eager Cadet (3/2)
    [B]Buildings:[/B]
  • :heart: Base HP: 18
  • :heart: Tech I HP: 5
  • :heart: Tech II HP: 5 (Peace)
  • :heart: Tower HP: 4

[B]Economy Info:[/B]
[B]Cards:[/B]

• Hand: 4
  • Deck: 5
  • Disc: 8
    [B]Gold:[/B]
  • Gold: 0
  • Workers: 10
Thoughts

I definitely fucked up by not making a heroes hall last turn. Oh well. It stinks to lose that Mox Iā€™ve invested in so much but such is life.

There were two other lines I saw, (no lethal possible, he did a great job patrolling the way he did). I think I took the more conservative route (wiping his board and taking out T2 again) while still giving myself a chance for lethal next turn.

If anyone is curiousā€¦ other lines:
A) Permanently keep Dozer, risk not being able to finish him or have Dozerā€™s drawback work against me:
mox kills fencer
onimaru suicides into dozer
summon and midband drakk -5
kidnap dozer, mox dies -4
cadet kills vandy, Midband Geiger
dozer destroys your t2, 2 base damage
Geiger kills Garth, maxband geiger
beep boop Dozer, itā€™s mine now

B) Let him keep his T2, high chance of winning if he doesnt play Terras Q/River combo. Keep mox
Midband oni and kill fencer -4
Geiger and mox kill dozer
give Garth 2 lvls
summon and midband drakk -5
cadet kills vandy, maxband drakk
play eager cadet, haste and frenzy
cadet kills garth, 2 levels then maxband oni -1

"

1 Like
Read after the game

Pentatronic missed lethal last turn:

Mox kills fencer
Geiger suicides into Dozer, Vandy maxbands (maxband fizzles)
Play Drakk (8)
Kidnap Dozer (4)
Drakk to L4 (1)
Cadet hits base for 4, down to 7
Dozer trades with Vandy, Drakk maxbands, Cadet dies (the key here is that Geiger dying gave Vandy levels, which made her strong enough to kill the Dozer)
Play Cadet from hand, it gains haste
Oni + Cadet hit base for 7

5 Likes

Iā€™m going to go ahead and throw in the towel, GG WP @Penatronic! I thought there was no way I wouldnā€™t out-econ you after that Oni worker skip start you pulled, but I have literally 0 answers to Mox boot camping into a wrecking ball in my deck, and nothing to take away suits to keep those cadets from being frenzied terrors.

It certainly didnā€™t help that I could never properly line up a Voidblocker draw to at least slow it down, but themā€™s the breaks!

BTW as youā€™ll see in both my and Cstickā€™s spoilers, you can join me in studying at @EricFā€™s ā€œSchool of making sure you find lethal each turnā€, as kidnapping a dozer and using Cadet + Dozer + either of midband drakk or Geiger attacking, you had easy kill on my base here :wink:

2 Likes

GG! I spent a lot of time looking at it and was like ā€œThereā€™s gotta be lethal in hereā€ you patrolled in a pretty strong way to keep it less obvious. Or if I wasnt such a num-num and had just made a heroes hall instead. The key that @cstick pointed out was definitely what was missing, I kept having to figure out combat math to kill the damn dozer.

I was waiting for half the game for you to smash my face in with the TerrasQ + Discord combo, and I wasnt even close! Also suprised that though you had two voidblockers I never saw one, I guess the times I got your T2 they were in hand. At least you had the luck for the double nether drain on my Oni, I thought you had turned it around on that turn.

Also it seemed like you didnā€™t have the luck for drawing out something better than a Nimble fencer with your Maxband Garth, dunno if that was just bad timing/bad t2 deaths/bad shuffles.

Tech 2 was dead, I was afraid of Kidnapping so I didnā€™t really want Bone Collector or Baron, and the momentum of killing maxband Drakk felt like it was worth it to take 7 of your ā€œgold board valueā€ away.

Since I knew I had gold econ advantage and a slight card advantage, the hope was that I could stick a Voidblocker to activate either of the win conditions I saw for myself:

• Zarramonde
  • Metamorphosis

TerrasQ + Discord is hard to line up and kidnap-abble, so I didnā€™t really consider it.

Really my only and best deterrent to Mox was Voidblocker, and I drew it both times you killed the tech 2. And had you not had kidnapping that last turn there, I might still have survived long enough to pull it off.

Iā€™m reasonably happy with the choices I made, I think Voidblocker over Dozer on my turn 3 tech choice would have been better in hindsight but other than that, I think I just kinda caught a bad break going second against a deck I donā€™t have great answers to.

The nether drain double-up was actually a nice set-up by me I thought, really not all that ā€œluck-basedā€ (Iā€™m Dark Pacting into 8 cards, the most likely thing to happen (~53%) is I draw neither and both end up in my next hand). Even so, I really only needed one(96ish% to get one on turn 5): Draining Oni gives chances to max garth out for pulling fencer, or even if it doesnā€™t work out it keeps you off Art of War long enough to build more board and econ to set up a Doom Grasp later I think. I had to respect both your board position and Art of War rushdown, so it seemed the only reasonable choice

(If anyone reading is curious how to do the math involved, go here)

2 Likes

drawing a fencer doesnt help you kill a art-of-war onimaru though, right? swiftstrike till my next upkeep. The drain was smart for just stopping him from being maxband for long enough to use his ultimate, never really thought about using it that way. Though it does have the drawback of giving people their maxband activation repeatedly.

Its funny reading your thoughts, as we both felt like we had less than ideal draws, though itā€™s not like you never drew the Voidblocker, you had pretty decent card economy most of the game I thought, but I knocked down the T2 several times. I drew both Art of Wars and both Kidnappings several times. I really had art of war in my deck and a good chance to draw it for 3 turns and only hit it once, thought it ended up not mattering once you got double drain.

Also, I found and have used that calculator since I started playing Codex :smiley:

1 Like

Yea I drew the Voidblocker, just on the turns you happened to get to tech 2 :wink: I try to keep my thoughts funny and light, play the game to have fun right? I sure enjoy spectating games more when I get a view into what other people are thinking / considering!

If you have thoughts on what would have been winning moves for me, Iā€™m always all ears to see new perspectives! My thoughts are still primarily that the Dozer tech + Going Second + Mismatched deck are what did me in though, and Iā€™m not totally sure subbing dozer for voidblocker would have been enough

I suppose I could have gone Blocker instead of heroā€™s hall then on turn 4, if the draws had all gone the same, and that actually might have been enough to buy me room on the board to set up Tech 3. Ah well though!

Yeah the value I got out of mox and nullcraft was just silly, thank god deteriorate canā€™t hit nullcraft!

1 Like

Yeah normally where Black can deal with pesky units immediately at good value via StW and Deteriorate, Mox and Nullcraft say ā€œNot us you canā€™t!ā€, so I really had a tough time keeping them at bay, and they more than made up for your gold & card econ disadvantages!