CAPS 2017: FrozenStorm ([Demon]/Necro/Finesse) vs. EricF ([Peace]/Balance/Anarchy)

I note the tech draw so I can plan a turn. If the texh draw doesn’t happen, then I “reshuffle”

2 Likes

Yea I like how you do that actually, it’s nice for spectating too.

I look forward to the conclusion of this Zane-less turn!

I haven’t the slightest clue if that was wise or not, all I can tell you is it was unexpected and bold!

BTW @EricF I have the desktop notifications turned on, and I saw the first line of your thoughts this time (teching garrison?)

I’m not sure what we should do about that, it wasn’t something I really had a choice of seeing or not and I don’t think it’s affecting my decision making here (it’s either that or gunships right?), but you may want to pad your content a little bit to avoid that and if we need judgement about it I can wait to take my turn to rectify whatever needs rectify it. That notification is part of the reason why I put the matchup links at the beginning of my posts though.

1 Like

Don’t worry about it.

Just so we can have a non playing judge officially weigh in, yes, don’t worry about it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just wanted to make sure :wink: I prefer not to have unfair advantages in my bad decisions against Eric!

Player 1, Turn 5

P1 [Demon]/Necro/Finesse vs P2 [Peace]/Balance/Anarchy

[details=Starting Hand]
Nimble Fencer
Summon Skeletons
Deteriorate
[/details]

##Events of Turn:

###Upkeep:

• Get Gold (8)
  • Tech 2 cards (except turn 1)

[details=All Teched Cards]
Harmony, Dark Pact
Maestro, Nimble Fencer
Discord, Nimble Fencer
Dark Pact, Bone Collector
[/details]

###Main:

• River kills Newsman, you draw 1
  • Thieving Imp from Graveyard, you DC 1 in real life I’d do my best to discard the one you just drew, but you’d shuffle them, so let’s just roll… #3 of 4 (5)
  • Tech 2 Finesse (1)
  • Worker (0)

[details=Workers]
Summon Skeletons, Skeletal Javelineer, Skeletal Archery, Pestering Haunt, Poisonblade Rogue
[/details]

• :pspurpleshield: Patrol as below
  • Discard 2 Draw 2 rs Draw 2
  • Tech 2 cards before my next turn

###Board Info:
####Buildings:

• :heart: Base HP: 18
  • Tech1 HP: 5
  • Tech2 HP: 5
  • Hero’s Hall HP: 4

####In Patrol:

• :psblueshield: Squad Leader:
  • :psfist: Elite:
  • :pspig: Scavenger:
  • :exhaust: Technician: Thieving Imp (2/2)
  • :target: Lookout:

####In Play:

• River (3/4 from +1/1, lvl 1)
  • Bone Collector (in custody for… interfering with a cold case? What excuse you got for arresting him Oni?)
  • Graveyard (3hp, holding [ nothin ] )

###Economy Info:

####Cards:

• Hand: 4
  • Deck: 6
  • Disc: 0

####Gold:

• Gold: 0
  • Workers: 9

[details=End of Turn Hand]
Jandra, the Negator
Dark Pact
Harmony
Dark Pact
[/details]

[details=End of Turn Discard][spoiler]

[/spoiler][/details]

[details=My Thoughts][spoiler]
And that’s why I teched away from Meta; just in case :wink: Well then there are other ways to win with this deck besides just Heroes.

So he wants to boot camp away anything stopping Basilisks from totally shutting down my (usually) hero-focused plan. How to combat that? Harmony + Dark Pact would help with swinging hard at backline stuff, and even though Harmony is channeling I can certainly charge it in a hurry… Leaping Lizard trades well with the Basilisks and deter Midori a bit, I like them with Dark Pact. I want Garth to fish out a Grounded Guide, so Nether Drain could help with that (and it helps with Oni and Zane often)…

I don’t know if it’s advisable, but I’m going with Harmony Dark Pact. Partly because I just never got to do it with this deck in this tourney and I want to try it, partly because it can probably keep him from teching up comfortably, and partly because it incentivizes me to burn through this next cycle so I can figure out something better next cycle lol… Kill the newsman and discard a card, Imp blocking is better than Garth + Skele b/c it keeps his hand unhealthy and it doesn’t leave a 3hp hero on the board for easy potential free levels (I know it’s not a big difference, he can midband oni + boot camp for a kill and end up at maxband just as easy this way)

WOAH that was a sick draw! I might end up with something like Vandy + Harmony + DPx2 and if I draw Maestro + a Fencer I could put some serious pain down! Fortune favored my teching it seems, we’ll see if he just craps all over it by killing river! I think more likely techs up, maybe I should have patrolled Lookout so he couldn’t maxband AND boot camp? Knowing this was a possible draw, that might have been better, was greedy with the technician though
[/spoiler][/details]

[details=Player 2, Turn 5]Put Reputable Newsman in the discard pile, reshuffle, and draw… Reputable Newsman
Discard for Imp… Reputable Newsman

Hand:
Porkhand Magistrate
Bluecoat Musketeer -> Worker
Chaos Mirror

Tech in Drill Sergeant + Elite Training. Need to have some sort of anti-air (and hey, sparkshot basilisks are great!)
[/details]
Draw, rs, and Discard
9 gold (10)
Worker (9)
Tech II Peace (5)
Level Oni to 5 (3)
Oni kills Imp
Max Oni (0)
Discard 2, Draw 4

Elite - L8 Onimaru (5/5)
Scavenger - Huey (1/1)
Tech - Dewy (1/1)

Louis (1/1)

Base - 20
Tech I - 5
Tech II - 5
Spec: Peace

10 workers, 0 gold
Hand: 4
Deck: 4
Discard: 5

[details=Next Hand]Garrison
Arrest
Lawful Search
Overeager Cadet[/details]

Peace? No Peace

Player 1, Turn 6

[details=Starting Hand]
Jandra, the Negator
Dark Pact
Harmony
Dark Pact
Discord (technician)
Deteriorate Sacrifice the Weak (DP 1)
Nimble Fencer Nimble Fencer (DP 2… WTF SERIOUSLY!!!)
[/details]

##Events of Turn:

###Upkeep:

• Get Gold (9)
  • Draw 1 for Imp Technician
  • Tech 2 cards (except turn 1)

Star-Crossed Starlet x2
Harmony, Dark Pact
Maestro, Nimble Fencer
Discord, Nimble Fencer
[/details]

###Main:

• Vandy (7)
  • Harmony (5)
  • Dark Pact, base to 16 draw 2, dancer
  • Dark Pact again, base to 14 draw 2, dancer #2
  • Discord, soldiers drop, you get a card and a gold (3)
  • Nimble Fencer (1)
  • Fencer and Bone Collector Trade with Onimaru, Vandy to lvl 3, I get a skeleton, both go to graveyard which teeters a little
  • River hits your tech 2 to 2hp
  • Worker (0)

[details=Workers]
Summon Skeletons, Skeletal Javelineer, Skeletal Archery, Pestering Haunt, Poisonblade Rogue
[/details]

• :pspurpleshield: Patrol as below
  • Discard 3 Draw 1 rs Draw 4
  • Tech 2 cards before my next turn

###Board Info:
####Buildings:

• :heart: Base HP: 14
  • Tech1 HP: 5
  • Tech2 HP: 5
  • Hero’s Hall HP: 4

####In Patrol:

• :psblueshield: Squad Leader: Skeleton (1/1+1armor)
  • :psfist: Elite: Chill Dancer Token (0+1/1)
  • :pspig: Scavenger: Chill Dancer Token (0/1)
  • :exhaust: Technician:
  • :target: Lookout: Chill Dancer Token (0/1)

####In Play:

• River (3/4 from +1/1, lvl 1)
  • Vandy (3/4 lvl 3)
  • Harmony
  • Graveyard (3hp, holding [ Nimble Fencer, Thieving Imp, Bone Collector ] )

###Economy Info:

####Cards:

• Hand: 5
  • Deck: 4
  • Disc: 0

####Gold:

• Gold: 0
  • Workers: 10

[details=End of Turn Hand]
Maestro
Dark Pact
Star-Crossed Starlet
Sacrifice the Weak
Deteriorate
[/details]

[details=End of Turn Discard][spoiler]

[/spoiler][/details]

[details=My Thoughts][spoiler]
Man this worked out pretty well… I’m flush with defense and have a serious siege to lay on him. Next turn I likely can bring the pain with Maestro and Dark Pacts, so teching in Starlet x2. Midori and Moment’s Peace would only delay the inevitable… this is pretty great!

After DP draws…

I obviously would have PREFERRED to get the Maestro down NOW so I could have broken the tech 2… skipping a worker would be super worth that… UGH! But c’est la vie, sometimes you bottom deck what you need. He can try and go tech 3 but I think I’ll just dominate that pretty easily. Hopefully he sticks a hero out where it can die so I can get Maestro + fish a grounded guide, and that should lock things up pretty easily.

Reshuffle has a Dark Pact, so yea this should go well for me I think. You never know with Eric though, he’s a crafty man!

[/spoiler][/details]

2 Likes
For FrozenStorm

I’m confused by your turn. Where did Discord come from? You don’t seem to have had it in your starting hand, or have drawn it from either DP.

@Jadiel

To answer your secret question

It was my technician draw from imp dying, I’ll edit my turn to reflect that. Sorry for the confusion! (NOTE: Edited now)

For the math-inclined, however, I had a 6 card deck, I had a technician death and two dark pacts, so there was only 1 left in deck. It was Maestro, sadly, which would have killed his tech 2 and any hope I think he has left in this game, so anything other than that or Discord at the bottom would have been really nice!

1 Like
For FrozenStorm

I think you also needed both Fencers, no? So your chance to kill tech II was only 1/3 I think :slight_smile:

To answer Jadiel

[spoiler]
Not with the graveyard :slight_smile: As far as I can tell, Maestro makes them cost 0 from hand or graveyard, but if that’s not the case please someone correct me ASAP!

[/spoiler]

[details=P2 Turn 6]This text will be hidden. Leaving
It
In
Place
As
A
Buffer

Starting Hand:
Arrest -> Worker
Lawful Search
Garrison
Overeager Cadet
+Tiny Basilisk

(Deck is Basilisk, Inspector, Boot Camp). So, I’ll have 3 gold left after playing all of that. 1 for a worker, and I probably won’t have a standing Tech II after this. Better plan on building a Tower!
Tech in Overeager Cadet and replacement Garrison

Additional draws:
Tiny Basilisk
Building Inspector
Boot Camp
[/details]
Alright, you drew 4 cards - let’s see how many I can draw…
Tech 2 cards
10 gold (11)
Garrison (8)
Overeager Cadet, draw
Tiny Basilisk (6), draw
Tower (3)
Tiny Basilisk (1), draw
Worker (0)
Discard 3, rs, Draw 5

SQL - Overeager Cadet (2/2 +1)
Scavenger - Tiny Basilisk (1/2)
Technician - Tiny Basilisk (1/2)

Base - 20
Tech I - 5
Tech II - 2
Spec: Peace
Tower - 4
Flagstone Garrison - 4

11 workers, 0 gold
Hand: 5
Deck: 5
Discard: 0

[details=Next Hand]Boot Camp
Chaos Mirror
Elite Training
Overeager Cadet
Building Inspector[/details]

I think it’s going to stop at 3 draws for that Garrison mate :slight_smile: (btw “hidden text” covering up in desktop notifications now, well done)

Player 1, Turn 7

[details=Starting Hand]
Maestro
Dark Pact
Star-Crossed Starlet
Sacrifice the Weak
Deteriorate
Star-Crossed Starlet Discord (DP draw, arright)
[/details]

##Events of Turn:

###Upkeep:

• Get Gold (10)
  • No techs this turn

Star-Crossed Starlet x2
Harmony, Dark Pact
Maestro, Nimble Fencer
Discord, Nimble Fencer
[/details]

###Main:

• Maestro (7)
  • Fencer rises from the grave, free as can be thanks to the Maestro
  • Star-crossed Starlet from hand, fo free!
  • Stop the Music (Hammertime!), Dancers get angry af
  • Dark Pact, base to 12 draw 2
  • Another Star-crossed Starlet from hand, fo free!
  • Discord, your stuff gets weak (5)
  • Deteriorate a basilisk, it dies
  • Sacrifice the Weak, Skeleton and other Basilisk die (3)
  • River kills Cadet, takes 1 damage from tower
  • Maxband Vandy, dooming a dancer (1)
  • Vandy 4 + Doom Dancer 4 + Other two dancers 4 + Fencer 2 + 2x Starlet (haste from fencer) 6 = 20 damage to your base, GG WP!

Maestro and Starlets for the win, this tournament has been crazy!

7 Likes

gg! You and Penta in the semi-finals!

1 Like

woah! This is the first time i see Tech II finesse being so powerful!
Really well played from both sides, but you, my friend, played a masterpiece, imho.

4 Likes

You’re being very kind @Legion, but minus the bottom-decked Maestro I had pretty good draws in a hyper-aggressive P1 deck against a Deck EricF didn’t have a lot of great ways to counterplay (though that Basilisk setup for turn 3 was crazy good!) My record against you speaks for itself @EricF, you played a great game and tournament and I feel pretty lucky to have passed you here!

2 Likes

This needs linked to in the “When the Codex hits just right” thread. Even if you got lucky draws, that was absurd! :laughing:

2 Likes

There were certainly other combos that would have done the job, I did have 7/9 cards :wink: But I needed the Discord both turns, I don’t think the odds were with me on that!

Basically, what @Legion said.

Getting Harmony to go off to full effect with Dark Pact x2 + Discord would have been awesome enough. But getting full on Virtuoso craziness with Fencers, Starlets, and Maestro, with Graveyard freespawn? Really awesome to see.

Props to @EricF for the solid matches throughout the tourney, too.

6 Likes