[CAMS18] codexnewb [Future]/Peace/Balance vs RathyAro [Demon/Necro]/Finesse

So it might look something like this?

Dark Pact
Deal 1 damage to the hero casting this. If you do, deal 1 damage to a base, then that player draws 2 cards.

Note that I kept the option to turn it on the opponent because it only deals half as much damage to their base in this version and Sirlin clearly intended for that to be possible since he brought it up in his overview of Demonology. Dark Pact already targets, so it still does so in this version. I don’t know if there’s actually a way you could prevent the self-damage to Vandy (or Bigby), but just to make sure I added the “If you do” clause.

I think I like the version better that says “… A hero you control” rather than “… The hero casting this”

Ah, I hadn’t noticed that’s how you’d phrased it. I’m curious why you prefer that way, though… It seems like “a hero you control” would make it easy to only put the damage on heroes that still have levels and/or won’t see combat, putting Dark Pact right back into “this downside isn’t much of a problem” territory, though that would only be an issue after building Tech II or Heroes’ Hall. I’ll readily admit that it’s a more natural-sounding way of phrasing it, though.

Also, does the rest of it seem good, regardless of which hero takes the damage?

It does make more of a flavour sense for it to hurt someone else. After all that sounds very demonic…

1 Like

Blood must be paid, the source doesn’t matter.

It is mainly a Nerf to dissuade early use. Teching dark pact to start is one of the ways demon can be so oppressive, flooding the board with cards. Dark pact and bone collector or nimble fencer is not an unusual first tech.

Upon consideration I’m almost inclined to leave the base damage at 2, for the reason it generally isn’t a real downside.

4 Likes

That makes sense. With that in mind, does this seem good?

⓪ Dark Pact ◎
Deal 1 damage to a hero you control. If you do, deal 2 damage to a base, then that player draws 2 cards.

I’d rather not remove the ability to turn it on opponents without testing this version first, especially since it’s harder to spam now.

3 Likes

This is both late and tangential, but Resist on a hero is actually pretty huge in the starter set matchup, since it affects Wither and Spark.

2 Likes