A Balanced Clash: Round 2 - Ongoing

I have thoughts about this format that I’ll go in depth on after the tournament ends.

GGs MJ, and I’m rooting for you.

2 Likes

Legion Vs @ArthurWynne Act 2: The Reckoning
I win 4-2
:zane::psfist::pschip::degrey:
:zane::pschip::psfist::degrey:
end of prev match
:quince::psfist::pschip::degrey: The chancellor is not afraid to attack or go low hand. Honest spins checkmates the unruly lawyer
:quince::pschip::psfist::persephone: Here I let the game slip by lacking courage, Arthur recovered greatly on the verge of death
:degrey::psfist::pschip::persephone: Here we both play great, Arthur almost puts me on hard lock but misses his chance cuz obsessed by recurring his ten and loses
:degrey::psfist::pschip::persephone: Here I build a real hand and quickly get rid of the clingy lady.
Respect and ggs.
This time for good!

6 Likes

And that gives us our two finalists! Give it up for @mysticjuicer and @Legion!

@Legion, you’ll be high-seed for this match. I’ll let you both schedule at your convenience.

3 Likes

ABC2: Grand Finals
Legion vs @mysticjuicer
I win 4-2
:zane::psfist::pschip::onimaru: I start with a good hand, nans delivers Ks and i read correctly most of the time.
:zane::pschip::psfist::onimaru: Not a good hand, MJ read me like a book and leaves a bad review XD
:quince::psfist::pschip::onimaru: Back and forth until the end, honest spins won more thanlying did, MJ almost corners me but quince dodge the menace and wins
:quince::psfist::pschip::setsuki: I honestly thought I would lose this, a rain of Qs fell on me but i managed to came out victorious
:quince::pschip::psfist::setsuki:Qs keep raining hard and i block them with my face. I win few combats and deal few dmg
:midori::psfist::pschip::setsuki: here MJ goes atk heavy, i get both jokers and save my skin twice from pummeling, then dodge everything except a throw during the last reveal.
Respect and ggs was a great match tense as heck.
Thanks to @vengefulpickle for hosting the tourney and @mysticjuicer for being my fav player of all times and the wonderful yomi ambassador we all know.

5 Likes

ggs and congrats on the win! The Oni vs Quince match was really close, and things felt mostly even until the last game! Hoping to take the next grand finals set off you. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Well, @Fluffiness, the tournament is long since over now and I’m sure I’m not the only one who’s interested in your review of the format!

1 Like

Will go into more detail after exam season, but the gist of it was that there were certain characters you could literally never force someone off of, giving their mains a huge advantage.

For example: an Argagarg main vs a Troq main.
If the Arg player wins, the Troq main gets to stay on Troq if he thinks he can win the MU, or he can swap to Menelker or Sets to force the Arg player off Arg if he can sneak a win.
Meanwhile, no matter what, the Arg player can never force the Troq player off of Troq, no matter what character they play.

So it eventually becomes: is the Troq main picking first, or does the opponent pick a char that can be cped by Troq? If so, they get to play Troq the entire set, and get to force the opponenent onto one of five specific characters for the entire set (none of which that player may be great at). Are they picking second and the opponent picks one of the other 14 characters? Then lol get fucked.

There needed to be a way to force someone off of their character after a win no matter which character (every char needs at least 1 pick whose CP list they’re not in), and a way to eliminate the huge advantage Player 1 has by getting the first pick.

3 Likes

Yeah, that’s a really good point about the character distributions. I’ll need to look, at what ways there are to fix it…

Do you think you’ve found a good way to fix the cp lists for this tournament? This is the exact kind of format I’m most interested in and would be very happy to see it return.

I’m not actually interested in this tournament persay, but I am in desperate want to increase the player traffic in this community :smile:

I haven’t poked at the code recently, but I think I should be able to get a list of counterpicks that satisfies the criterion that @Fluffiness described, whereby A is not in the allowed CPs of all of A’s CPs.

1 Like

An alternate way I can see this tourney being done is to 1) ban the worst MUs as counterpicks instead of only allowing the best, for more variety, and 2) disallow staying with same character after losing.

I think I had uneven CP lists in the first run of the tournament. Forcing the loser to switch seems like it could work? @Fluffiness, does that address your concerns? I think it does, and it doesn’t force you to know quite so much of the cast as the one I ran where you couldn’t use the same char twice.