CKR over @Fluffiness 4-1

:midori: > :jaina:
:midori: > :menelker:
:midori: < :setsuki:
:midori: > :setsuki:
:midori: > :setsuki:

ggs.

1 Like

I think that we are boxing people in too much with no repeats. When I look at my options, I usually see one and sometimes zero characters that I think that I can press an advantage against my opponent. We have already limited the amount of things that can be done with the balanced character set and no cp out of that character set. This would probably push me into more mirror matches or waiting for a tournament that better fits my competitive interests.

Edit:

After reading the rules, I do not think mirror matches are allowed.

1 Like

flagrantangles wins 4-2 vs @mysticjuicer
:quince::psfist::pschip::valerie: Right off the bat mysticjuicer puts me in a tough position by choosing Valerie because it allows me to pick Quince, which is comfortable, but pits me against one of his counters. I’ve found that this matchup is pretty swingy and it often swings in Valerie’s favor. Quince can be a bit of a bully, but Valerie has good answers to the Spins so it’s hard to necessarily get anything started. That said, I get some good hits in early, but then mysticjuicer hits me with a solid Val combo to put me in my place. I get slapped around until I’m sitting on 12 or so life and then I bring it all back with the power of propaganda, baby!
:quince::psfist::pschip::valerie: I definitely had a bead on mysticjuicer’s Valerie. So much, in fact, that this was a perfect!
:quince::psfist::pschip::persephone: I’m mucho spooked by Persephone and I’m playing a combination of terrified and reckless when I start to go down. A well-timed block against a 2-cross up when I suspected there weren’t other normals in his hand kept me out of the vortex and allowed me to start my own. I will say, it definitely felt like Persephone was VERY low on throws, which is DISTINCTLY uncomfortable. I also timed my 2 Truths whenever the Do As Told was already in the discard. It worked out for me. No counters, baby!
:quince::pschip::psfist::setsuki: This was CRUELTY. It was also grueling. I took some big hits in the early game but start to claw my way back with defensive play. We’re on a fifty/fifty at the end and I chose the wrong 50. I think we were both below 10 life and had fewer than 10 cards in deck. This match lasted for an absurd amount of time. We also each found both of our jokers, as I recall.
:geiger::pschip::psfist::setsuki: I was trounced. Just kicked around. I managed to prevent a perfect, but not much more than that.
:geiger::psfist::pschip::setsuki: This was another slog. The last combat turned out to be a bit anticlimactic since the timer made a decision for mysticjuicer. :frowning: The rest of the game, however, was quite tense and exciting. A real white knuckle situation!

GGs, mysticjuicer! You are a consummate gentleman when you aren’t turning to Troq and Setsuki, but even then you are a suave dastard!

4 Likes

I’ll take suave dastardlyness any day of the week! :smiley: ggs! bit of a heartbreaker on that last combat, but still a really great set :slight_smile:

2 Likes

ArthurWynne I just noticed you described your switch to Grave as “a grave mistake”

3 Likes

@Xiba/@Legion, and @Niijima-san/@Caralad, you folks are overdue for your Round 2 games. However, you get a reprieve! @Fluffiness is going to be away until June 13, so I’m going to postpone round 3 until then.

1 Like

hmm, mate we did our game, is even reported just above :frowning:

2 Likes

here is the report.

OOOOPS! My bad. You guys were the first ones done, and I forgot to write it down.

4 Likes

np, mate. No reprieve for us, right? :wink:

2 Likes

Yeah, I’d agree here. As it stands, I feel like I can use a roster of 5 characters to feel like I have a reasonable character choice in every matchup. That number goes up substantially if there’s no repeats, which means you’re mostly going to see a lot of players stuck on characters they don’t play well.

3 Likes

I agree with CKR and Carpe.

1 Like

I appreciate the (admittedly, forced) variety you get with no repeats, you see the immediate difference between the sets played before this rules misunderstanding was cleared up and after. But then, I’m probably comfortable with a wider variety of characters than many players. I think CKR and Carpe are probably right that it restricts character choices too much to be properly competitive.

3 Likes

I’m actually pretty happy to have sets where both players think “I’ve got the edge here, I’m going to stick w/ this character in this matchup”, because it means that it likely really is a pretty balanced matchup (at least between those two players), and I feel like those are the most fun.

6 Likes

Yup. Call me crazy if you want, but I think the Menelker vs Grappler Matchups are mostly even, with Menelker v Midori the hardest for Menelker.

Round 2 Results

High Seed Wins Low Seed
Fluffiness 1 4 CKR
mysticjuicer 2 4 flagrantangles
CarpeGuitarrem 2 4 ArthurWynne
Xiba 1 4 Legion
Niijima-san Caralad
Ivan 3 4 vengefulpickle
Nopethebard Bye

Standings After Round 2

Player Wins Losses Had Bye?
CKR 2 0
flagrantangles 2 0
ArthurWynne 2 0
Fluffiness 1 1
mysticjuicer 1 1 Y
CarpeGuitarrem 1 1
Xiba 1 1
Legion 1 1
Caralad 1 1
vengefulpickle 1 1
Nopethebard 1 1 Y
Ivan 0 2

Round 3 Matches

High Seed Low Seed
CKR flagrantangles
ArthurWynne Fluffiness
mysticjuicer CarpeGuitarrem
Xiba Caralad
Legion vengefulpickle
Nopethebard Ivan
2 Likes

Ivan vs Nopethebard - 4:1
:midori::pschip::psfist::menelker:
:midori::psfist::pschip::menelker:
:midori::psfist::pschip::troq:
:midori::psfist::pschip::troq:
:midori::psfist::pschip::setsuki:
Very fast games. Thanks Nope. GGS

2 Likes

Legion Vs @vengefulpickle
I win 4-0

:menelker::psfist::pschip::persephone: I start defensively, get KD more than once but escape the loop every time. Perse dies like she lived, by throw. My 7 leaves her no way out.
:menelker::psfist::pschip::grave: Here graves opens with J gets bK punished. Back and forth until DSD strikes, i take the lead and keep it till the end.
:menelker::psfist::pschip::bbb: Here pickle has my number from the start, gets at long range twice still at full hp and I start wondering if he will perfect me. Then i get his number, get him to low hand and proceed to the kill.
:menelker::psfist::pschip::grave: here i really won by the skin of the teeth. DSD struck again, but despite that pickle was at 19 and I at 6. A gutsy 7 throw into K++ wins me the set.
Respect and ggs vengefulpickle!

3 Likes

Dragon victories are the best victories.

2 Likes