19XX once more

If my memory serves from my fighting-game-playing days, the “Double-KO is a win for both” rule that FS uses is fairly standard across most fighting games (the game will award a round-win to both players in the event of a Double-KO; the game will also consider the game a draw if the Double-KO results in both players attaining the last round-win needed to with that game).

[Edit: according to Hobusu, who posted below below, the way Fantasy Strike does it is not the way Street Fighter/Tekken/SoulCalibur do it.]

I, too, am happy to accept either choice by the TOs (and, a sincere “thank you!” to Caralad for the sportsmanship), I mostly want to make sure we’re doing everything properly (it’s clearly quite an edge-case).

1 Like

To clarify, Fantasy Strike actually uses the rule that a double KO counts as a win for both players except that a player can never gain the final win they need to take the set that way (so if one player is on set point that player doesn’t gain a win and the other does, if both players were on set point neither player gets a win and it goes to an extra round).

The reasoning Sirlin has given is that if anyone ever wins an entire match on a tie round it’s super confusing and anti-hype (so a match win should only come from one player cleanly KOing the other), but every round should advance toward the match concluding in some way if at all possible.

For what my non-TO opinion is worth, I think going with how the rule was written at the start of the tournament is best for this time but then if you want to match FS you should update the wording of the rule in future tourneys.

2 Likes

Ok, so I had the FS justification backwards. Good to know. I think I will update for later tournaments, but for this tournament, we’re going to stick w/ the rule as listed in the majority of recent tournaments (which means, in this case, the 4-3 stands).

4 Likes

Presented without commentary, since I’m at work:

vengefulpickle 3-2 @Ivan

:argagarg::psfist::pschip::vendetta:
:argagarg::pschip::psfist::gloria:
:midori::psfist::pschip::gloria:
:midori::pschip::psfist::onimaru:
:argagarg::psfist::pschip::onimaru:

Lordy, that was a close set.

2 Likes
Game @Cypher vs. @vengefulpickle
Round 1 :persephone: :pschip: :psfist: :argagarg:
Round 2 :persephone: :psfist: :pschip: :argagarg:
Round 3 :persephone: :psfist: :pschip: :setsuki:
Round 4 :persephone: :pschip: :psfist: :setsuki:
Round 5 :midori: :psfist: :pschip: :setsuki:
Round 6 :midori: :psfist: :pschip: :argagarg:

Grand Finals: Cypher wins, 4-2

• Round 1 – I’ve taken a close look at both of our rosters, and have already concluded that my opponent will start with his Argagarg. I’m quite comfortable in the Midori vs. Argagarg matchup, but if I start Midori, that’s all we’re gonna see all set, and where’s the fun in that? I decide to test my mettle once again and play some Fast Timer Persephone, who theoretically counters VengefulPickle’s entire roster (sans Setsuki). It does not go well. It takes me too long to adjust to my opponent’s anti-throw range, and while I eventually manage start a vortex-ey comeback, I’m too afraid to throw to keep Argagarg on the ground long enough and lose by about forty hit points.

• Round 2 – Undeterred, I stick to my gameplan. There’s an old saying that the best way to win a Yomi match is to just win every combat reveal. Which I do! (Well, except for one, but I manage a facedown bluff to stop the combo). Put Argagarg on the ground and never let him get back up, while slowly degrading his hand quality with Bare Your Soul. It’s not even close to a lockout, though, as my opponent is never without options. I end up having to time my dodges, crossups, and throws (aka “both sides” crossups) and it works out for me.

• Round 3 – VengefulPickle makes the expected swap to Setsuki, which will open up my Midori pick, in the future. This is a bad matchup for Persephone, but it’s a swingy one, so I’m just a few bold choices away from sapping Setsuki’s momentum and building my own. Expecting a throw-heavy range, I open by Power Lashing a throw and starting the vortex early. Wisely, my opponent Gold Bursts his way out of it. After getting hit by some big throw damage (more than once), I’m able to wakeup with a counterthrow (I’m lucky my opponent is trying to value trap me and didn’t play his final 7 throw). After disarming my On Your Knees, I finally manage to get more Dominance going by throw/dodging my way to a massive hand (even dodging a second wakeup Gold Burst). I end the game by embarassing myself by missing lethal by forgetting to put a 3 normal into my combo, using my Jokers to pump Rapid Lashes but missing lethal by 3 points. Boy oh boy. 3 combats later, I manage to land a Rising Pleasure to win the round, but man Fast Timer can be tough!

• Round 4 – My opponent completely changes up his range, and lands some solid early damage. I manage to joker an AA combo, but it only helps a little. Setsuki don’t care! Eventually I manage to Power Lash one of Setsuki’s throws, mill both Jokers with a Bare Your Soul, and my opponent with an awkward hand that I’m pretty sure is checkmated by On Your Knees. Unfortunately, he topdecks a Ninpo Flash (no way I’m leaving those Jokers on the table for even a single draw step), and my momentum grinds to a halt. A very convincing win for my opponent!

• Round 5 – Midori vs. Setsuki is probably my most-played matchup of all time, because my housemate mained Setsuki (and I mained Midori) many years ago when I first got my Kickstarter box of Yomi 2nd Edition in the mail. That doesn’t mean it’s free! I manage to trick my opponent into a throw-heavy range using early blocks, which allows me to land a turn two Wrath of Earth (20 damage) and to duff another throw with a 7 attack into a fully pumped Whirlwind (23 damage). Then I counterthrow
    another throw attempt. Those last two throw attempts from my opponent were with 10s, which are Setsuki’s Smoke Bomb counter (a very valuable asset against Midori), so I correctly read that there aren’t any more throws coming and turtle up, dodging my way past a Ninpo Flash, Glimpsing my Q to beat out an Ace (since, you know, all the counters were gone), and then dodging some more (at this point, I’d drawn so many dodges I was following them up with 9 throws). Eventually, I just dodge my way to victory.

• Round 6 – Well we all knew it would come down to Midori vs. Argagarg eventually, so here it is! I read a throw-heavy range from my opponent, and I just so happen to have this 5-6-7 straight in my hand, so why not try the big duff on turn 1? It doesn’t work, sadly, but I spend the next three turns throwing my opponent’s blocks and throws for good, consistent damage (even getting rid of a Bubble Shield attempt). By the third 5 throw, I’m actually all out of high normals, so I just leave Argagarg on the ground (it’s like healing 2 hit points!) and consider a crossup attempt. I don’t have good payoff from it, though, so I end up successfully blocking a bunch of pokes for 3 turns. I have a bare-minimum hand of dragon cards, but elect to wait until I draw my second Dragon Form to try entering it. Proves effective, since the first one gets countered. I try to Talon Swoop and get slapped across the face with Blowfish Spikes for my trouble. But the second Talon Swoop works! After that, I’m expecting more throws (since I haven’t dodged yet, this round) so I land a Final Dragon Buster. My opponent is rude enough to Joker the third Ace, though. Argagarg has 9 health left, and has just powered up for Blowfish Spikes, so now it’s time to dodge! I do a “big brain” play and just normal-throw after the dodge (in case the facedown was a second Joker, figuring if it’s not I have guaranteed chip-out with my Dragon Mountain). Argagarg is left on the floor with 1 hit point, and with only 3 cards in hand doesn’t have the fuel to power up for another Blowfish Spikes, so Midori’s Q is a checkmate!

Serious GG;WP to my opponent, VengefulPickle. Very fun finals of a very fun (and stressful) tournament! I’m sure he’ll have a video up soon!

6 Likes

Gratz on the tourney win Cypher!

5 Likes

Thank you! I think it’s my first legit tournament win. Granted, the Fast Timer format scared away a few of the regulars (and a number of competitors dropped out partway through), but I’ll take it! :money_mouth_face:

6 Likes

still more legit than me winning Lum’s Lucky Lottery, aka random: the tournament

Seriously though, congratulations on winning!

1 Like