What's the play? - Vandy & Friends

The problem with Neo Plexus is SQL is that your opponent can kill it with Vandy and javelineer, and then level Vandy to remove the damage. So you’re down a card and 2 gold, and all you’ve taken from your opponent is their javelin rune (I guess you’ve also saved 3 base damage). That’s just not a good trade this early in the game.

The correct play is to say "GG ", and then join the darkside by switching to a Vandy deck too

1 Like

The bigger problem is that this play is not rules-legal.

It probably should be, but as of tonight none of the rulebook, the rulings docco nor any of the DB entries for “vir”, “Seer” nor “Time Spiral” ever specifies that things which target “forecast cards” can also target “forecast tokens” nor gives any other interpretation which would support that (probably intended) functionality.

The tokens are cards though. Much like Gilded Glaxx is a Mech Soldier, tokens are Token Cards.

Um… What? Forecast uses the same Time Runes that Fading does, so I don’t understand what you think is illegal here.

Edit: Oh, it’s not about the runes – it’s about whether token units can be affected by the other cards. Remember, tokens are treated the same as any other unit except that any time they leave play, they immediately get trashed afterwards. There’s no reason to assume anything that works on a normal unit won’t work on a token unit.

Bob no
Stop

2 Likes

The component list refers to them as “token cards.” The entry for tokens on page 17 of the rulebook doesn’t say anything like “tokens aren’t cards.” It doesn’t even make the suggestion I was expecting to see, something along the lines of “you can use anything to represent a token, such as a paperclip or a scrap of paper.”

1 Like

Yes, I feel the tower was pretty silly on my part.

In hindsight, what do you think should have done on turn 2?

1 Like

My original thoughts were build tower to stop having to worry about nullcraft quite so much. In hindsight I would have been better off teching a plague spitter instead of Bone Collector and building a Heroes Hall and float 1g. I was overly concerned about the nullcraft play killing my skeleton and making maxband Vandy a bit more troublesome in having to potentially buff a nullcraft.

The opponent is down a card at the end of his turn. It would be one of my goals to maintain this card advantage rather than going down to a 4 card hand as well. I would play Plasmodium, worker Neo Plexus, and bring out Vir (expecting Vir to get killed in the next round). I would Squad Leader Vir and tech 2 copies of Sentry.

Playing a naked Hero is a non-starter because of this line:

P1, Turn 2:
5 gold (5)
Worker (4)
Mid Vandy (2)
Vandy and Jav (using Rune) kill Vir, Vandy max-bands
Hero’s Hall (0)

Turn 3:
Summon Garth, make a skeleton, and build Tech 1. Vandy kills something.

Turn 4:
Resolve Metamorphosis for 2 huge heros and a Tech 1 unit, One hero uses up the Tower, and the other breaks the Tower

P2, Turn 2
6 Gold (6)
Worker (6)
Nullcraft, Hardened Mox
Build Tech 1

Nullcraft would attack and kill a skeleton or whatever 1/1 is out
Plasmodium would have 2 counters

Hardened Mox Squad Leader

Turn 3

Nullcraft should still be alive and would attack and kill skeleton.
Hardened Mox should still be alive
Plasmodium would be down to 1 counter with chance to come out if Time Spiral in hand

• Would require playing Geiger First
  • If Plasmodium out, place as squad leader
    Play Sentry if in hand.
    If 2 Sentry, play both.

I believe Purple could still survive going forward. I will have to check this out some though as it is interesting.

That line risks losing your Tech 1 to a timely Deteriorate on Mox, but it could work if you can get a Forgotten Fighter + Time Spiral on turn 3 to sneak Plasmodium through the Black patrol zone.

(If Mox is in Squad Leader position it should survive a Deteriorate -> Pointed out as wrong as Squad Leader gives +1 armor which would fail to protect against -1/-1 effect) and if it wasn’t there, the next best place would be the Lookout position as it would be useless in the Scavenger or Technician positions.

Losing heroes at this point would be devastating. If Geiger were put out, it might be necessary to midband him; of course, it all depends on what you drew.

It would not. Armor only protects against damage.

Thanks for correcting me. I just learned something new.

2 Likes