[Tournament] New Blood - Complete

Here’s the tournament bracket: New Blood - Challonge

New folks: Keep an eye out in your private message inbox. I’ll be sending you and your opponent a joint PM where you can schedule your match. Good luck!

2 Likes

If anyone wants coaching from a washed up rook main, I still know a trick or two
(I can play any character)

3 Likes

I’ve been trying to pickup Rook recently, but I would love a pointer or two

The expert of cmb landing turn 1.

6 Likes

Ivan vs JonnyD - 3:2
:gwen: :pschip: :psfist: :midori:
:degrey: :psfist: :pschip: :midori:
:degrey: :psfist: :pschip: :zane:
:degrey: :pschip: :psfist: :zane:
:troq: :psfist: :pschip: :zane:
GGs!

4 Likes

Carpe vs @Lawlzard

:jaina: :pschip: :psfist: :persephone:
:jaina: :psfist: :pschip: :persephone:

ggs! Really spooky having the threat of 0.4 speed KD hanging over my head constantly!

3 Likes

migohunter vs @stepsandladders

:midori: :psfist: :pschip: :setsuki:
:midori: :pschip: :psfist: :setsuki:

GGs mate! You played a strong range and did well for a new Setsuki player, keep it up :+1: Best of luck in the lower bracket.

6 Likes

ArthurWynne vs @Cypher

:valerie: :psfist: :knockdown: :argagarg:

Final result: 3-0 to ArthurWynne

The score does not in any way reflect how this set played out. Watch the replays, I mean it. This was an amazing set. GGs Cypher!

4 Likes

TonyHole vs @CarpeGuitarrem
:menelker: :psfist: :knockdown: :jaina:
:menelker: :knockdown: :psfist: :jaina:
:persephone: :knockdown: :psfist: :jaina:
:lum: :psfist: :knockdown: :jaina:
:lum: :psfist: :knockdown: :jaina:

Damn those were sweaty games.
The first game went very well for me since I got some good reads with a big payoff. At the end of the game, though, Jaina was starting to hit back, and hit fiercely at that. Something felt off.
Game 2 I was destroyed. CG was getting every single read right, and I was getting every single one wrong. I was playing very predictably, so I had to switch gears.
Game 3 I switched to Persephone. She really helped me switch gears, despite losing in the end.
Game 4 I finally switched to Lum. I feel very bad for this, but I threw a random Blackjack turn one that not only worked, but even landed my first 21 ever (I think it was 10+A, or face+A). This got a lot of momentum on my side, eventually winning the game despite me forgetting to turn off the sort discards feature and getting the wrong ace from the discards while setting up a Poker Flourish.
Game 5 was a regular game. I got lucky here and then (though much less than in game 4, for obvious reasons) and eventually won.

I don’t really feel I earned my wins, somehow, but still worked out alright. Definitely not complaining about a win.

5 Likes

A win is a win! Sometimes you get really lucky, sometimes you get sorta lucky, and most of the time you make your own luck.

3 Likes

Caralad vs @vengefulpickle

:vendetta: :psfist: :pschip: :setsuki:

All the games came basically down to one final combat reveal. This was much closer than 3-0 suggests. GG’s VP.

6 Likes

stepsandladders vs @Cypher

:setsuki: :psfist: :pschip: :setsuki:
:setsuki: :pschip: :psfist: :valerie:
:setsuki: :pschip: :psfist: :valerie:
:setsuki: :psfist: :pschip: :valerie:
:setsuki: :psfist: :pschip: :onimaru:

Really fun matchups! I learned a lot about Valerie and Onimaru, and the last match was close right to the end! Thanks for sharing all your knowledge as well!

5 Likes

ArchBrian vs @Ivan

:argagarg::pschip::psfist::setsuki:
:argagarg::pschip::psfist::setsuki:
:valerie::psfist::pschip::setsuki:
:valerie::pschip::psfist::jaina:

Fun games, even though I wasted a joker in the last one because I misread the client’s interface and thought my opponent was playing the pumpable side of A. :no_mouth:

4 Likes

The UI won’t let you joker something unjokerable, so, you had the potential to stop some kind of damage.

1 Like

ArchBrian vs @stepsandladders

:argagarg::knockdown::psfist::setsuki:
:jaina::psfist::knockdown::setsuki:
:jaina::psfist::knockdown::setsuki:
:jaina::knockdown::psfist::setsuki:
:jaina::knockdown::psfist::setsuki:

GGs stepsandladders! Between my last game and this one, Setsuki is clearly my nemesis…

4 Likes

migohunter vs @ArthurWynne

:rook: :pschip: :psfist: :troq: Kind of a blowout
:rook: :psfist: :pschip: :troq: I adapt and took this one
:rook: :pschip: :psfist: :bbb: I thought we would have a grappler faceoff and instead I get robosatan. At least it was close… ish.
:jaina: :psfist: :pschip: :bbb: Suddenly I have a much easier time.
:jaina: :psfist: :pschip: :argagarg: Very close game, down to the wire. If he had a 2nd A it could have been a double KO

GGs and thanks for the flexible scheduling mate.

3 Likes

@JonnyD vs @ArthurWynne

Summary

:quince: :psfist: :pschip: :grave:

JonnyD wins 3-0!

I think migo recorded it.

3 Likes

migohunter vs @TonyHole

:rook: :psfist: :pschip: :lum:
:rook: :psfist: :pschip: :lum: Very close game, I had 10 HP at the end.
:rook: :psfist: :pschip: :persephone: I get bailed out of potential hardlock setup with a topdeck J

GGs mate. I think you played well overall, but I’m no Lum expert haha.

3 Likes

Caralad vs @Ivan

:troq: :psfist: :pschip: :onimaru:
:troq: :psfist: :pschip: :jaina:
:troq: :psfist: :pschip: :jaina:

I pulled out the troq out of respect for Ivan’s skill. It seems he had an expectation of it, and had onimaru ready to counter it. However, if you "never guess wrong"tm, you never lose games of yomi. I use this momentum to just bulldoze my way to victory, one that I feel very lucky about.

GG’s Ivan

4 Likes

Actually Oni came at Random :wink:

3 Likes