[Tournament] Lum's Lucky Lottery #2 - *Finals*

Well, the results are being skewed by my experimentation with different Past/Peace/X, and it will also over-report which starters/specs were more versatile, compared to potentially equally powerful, but more constrained, combinations. That is, Necromancy pairs well with a ton of different things, so there are a ton of decks in the list with Necro. Wheras Discipline has only been paired with 3 or 4 other combinations, so it shows up less in this method of counting, even though it wins a lot with those combinations.

4 Likes

Good for you :smile:

On the other hand, Iā€™ve got the same deck I was given in round 1. And both games as P2. At least Iā€™m playing against something totally different this time, and Iā€™m thankful that itā€™s not yet another Peace engine with the Purple starter :wink: But Necro/Blood/Growth is rather terrifying in its own way :open_mouth:

Iā€™ll start our game tomorrow - should be interesting!

really? please do tell me what your most afraid off :stuck_out_tongue:

I havenā€™t even though about all the possibilities, but Iā€™m sure you donā€™t need me to tell you about playing Crashbarrows every turn from the Graveyard. And I dread to think what devastation Growth could add to that (Stampede, anyone?) :fearful:

I guess weā€™ll see. But then Iā€™m also a terrible player who has yet to win a tournament game :slight_smile:

I think that makes both of us

I think Iā€™m the one guy who plays Necro/Blood/Growth, so Iā€™ll throw out some pointers to help both sides. I usually play it to build up an army of skeletons and other cheap dudes, which then gets converted into victory via one of several plans:

• Tech II blood, for standard Necro/Blood shenanigans (maxband Garth pulls an early Crashbarrow, which is recurred via graveyard). Weenies help you defend after the Crashbarrows roll through
  • Tech II growth, for MoLaC and/or Blooming Ancient to power up your army
  • Drakk or Arg ultimates, to power up your army in a different way

Fear not though! My very meh tournament record shows that this deck is certainly beatable. Rook in particular usually makes me sad. Maxband Rook can tank two Crashbarrow hits and survive like it ainā€™t no thing if heā€™s in squad lead.

2 Likes

Isnā€™t that why you float a Nether drain in the deck? You can afford to, nothing tech 1 is hyper critical (BCs are nice of course)

Round 4

LLL 2: EricF ([Balance]/Peace/Law) vs. FrozenStorm ([Growth]/Strength/Anarchy)
LLL 2: Zejety ([Finesse]/Peace/Truth) vs. Kaelii ([Peace]/Finesse/Truth)
LLL 2: zhavier ([Strength]/Past/Disease) vs. CarpeGuitarrem ([Necro]/Blood/Fire)
LLL 2: jalias ([Disease]/Law/Truth) vs. Mooseknuckles ([Past]/Disease/Strength)
LLL 2: SamRS ([Past]/Present/Blood) vs. Shax ([Strength]/Past/Disease)
LLL 2: cstick ([Feral]/Peace/Blood) vs. Shadow-Night-Black ([Anarchy]/Balance/Growth)
LLL 2: robinz ([Future]/Anarchy/Growth) vs. Barrelfish ([Past]/Peace/Finesse)

@SamRS donā€™t forget to start your last match.

1 Like

Which are the matches to watch for top 4 consideration? Iā€™m wondering if Iā€™m still eligible after a bye and getting my teeth kicked in by Midori this morning :wink:

Actually, having that early BYE (scored as 0 wins / 0 games for tiebreaker purposes) makes you almost a lock for top 4.

The key player to watch is Zejetyā€¦ For Kaelii and CarpeGuitarrem, winning their match against him probably puts them in the top 4, while he just has to win one of the two.

2 Likes

Honestly, iā€™ve been kinda swamped at work, I think I need to drop out, have not had the time to post consistently sorry.

So it looks like youā€™re undefeated, and then Frozen is in, so itā€™s zhavier/carpe/zejety/kaelii/myself with 1 loss potentially going to tiebreaker?

1 Like

Carpe or myself will have a second loss soon enough.

1 Like

Yeah, and zejety/kaelii are playing, so if I win my match then weā€™ll have 4 1-loss players and 3 spots.

Nope, Iā€™ve already lost this one.

We are now in the catch up week for any matches that havenā€™t finished, which might be none of them?

Iā€™ll be able to update standings and likely post the top 4 on Wednesday.

Thank you, everyone for your participation. I hope it was fun and educational.

RACE number 4 is tentatively scheduled for May 2017.

4 Likes

Do you think thereā€™s any way we could have a tournament that splits users into two groups (vets vs rookies)? I think my biggest complaint about these tourneys is how many of the games involve somebody whoā€™s very good at Codex vs someone whoā€™s pretty new to it. A match of Codex takes quite a while, so this is a pretty big cost, and it dampens the fun for both players.

I donā€™t know exactly how the details would work, but Iā€™m sort of curious if anyone else would be interested in this. It seems like ideally weā€™d want a way to not punish the vets pool, but also to give those in the rookie bracket a chance in the finals.

2 Likes

You could determine a vet as someone who has won at least one match in a previous tournament. I am not opposed to the idea, but I would want the rookies to get an opportunity to play against theoretically more difficult opponentā€™s

One match? I would probably gone with finishing in the top 50%, otherwise if you get paired up with a fellow rookie in a tournament once, one of you can never take part again.