[Tournament] eXperimental Codex Asyncronous sPring Swiss 2019 (XCAPS19) - Draft Tourney!

I suspect most players will end up with multicolor, unless the other player doesnt want to counter draft. Multicolor penalty will apply if the starter doesnt match the 3 specs, presumably.

I assumed so at first, but the more I think about it, the more I’m leaning towards the idea that the multicolor building penalty should only care about hero colors per rules as written, surprisingly. It might make drafting strategy more interesting, and if somebody can actually outperform a starter deck that’s compatible with all 3 their heroes using one that isn’t compatible with any of them, I kind of want to see it.

I plan to compete either way, so sign me up please.

1 Like

@Nekoatl What is the difference between these two scenarios again? Has to do with what counts as multicolor?

So, for example, if somebody went with Purple starter and 3 Blue heroes, any starter spells they cast will incur a multicolor penalty, regardless of which of their heroes are in play. The question is, should their first tech building or add-on cost $1 extra, or not? The rules say the penalty is incurred if there is more than 1 color among a player’s heroes, but that was written with the assumption that a player couldn’t have 3 heroes of 1 color and a starter deck of another. Since we’re allowing players to do that, we have to decide how to handle this edge case that arises as a result.

1 Like

I see, now I understand. Didn’t think about that part.

The penalty should not apply, as it is a cost of getting multiple colors worth of Spells/Tech 1.

The off-color spell penalty is for the starter deck.

1 Like

In !

Clearly, P2 picking Neutral + Finesse looks pretty strong and versatile. Yet I’m sure there are other options, and anyway P1 can just pick some strong multicolor synergies as mentioned above, so I don’t think it is an issue ? We shall see :slight_smile:

@Nekoatl you’re right, and this should lead to very interesting, otherwise illegal decks !

1 Like

SO just to confirm, are you saying that I can have a starter with does not match colour wise with any of my other specs? e.g [Green Starter] Blood/Fire/Anarchy?

Correct, and I think we’re forming a quorum that if your three heroes match color, regardless of if the starter matches, you avoid the first building tax.

1 Like

Sign me up please!

1 Like

I’m curious though, have we discussed bans? I think codex already has 6 specs that are just “very good”, which people will tend to pick from every time. If we’re doing draft, I think it just makes sense to have bans.

I think the point of draft is to see if counter drafting affects the strong specs. Also, it’s a newish format, harder to evaluate banning.

3 Likes

I’m curious which 6 specs you have in mind.

Sure, I’ll lay it out.
Demonology, necromancy, strength, anarchy, finesse, and probably discipline (least sure about grave).

1 Like

Interesting. I agree with the first five, but I’d put Blood (and maybe Peace and Growth) above or at least on par with Discipline. And I’d add an honorary mention for Present.

@Bryce_The_Rice I considered adding bans to the process but decided against it for 2 reasons:

1. Things are balanced enough that I think counter drafting will already provided an opportunity for a variety of specs to get played throughout the tournament
  2. We’ll already be slowing things down by starting each thread with 4 posts of picks, I didn’t want to add more back and forth of not playing the game

I think in person it would be worth trying bans out, but for our format I don’t want to slow things down even more

1 Like

One week left to sign up forum-goers, come join the party!

1 Like

go on then, I have no idea how to play most decks, so this should help with that.

1 Like

sounds great. im down to join

1 Like

Pls, count me in!

1 Like