[Tournament] Experimental Codex Asynchronous Spring Swiss 2022 (XCAPS22)

GG goes out to @Bryce_The_Rice for a third place finish.

And here it is, the FINALS:

1. [XCAPS22] Round9: FINALS P1 zango [Finesse]/Ninjutsu/Feral :knockdown: :skull_and_crossbones: :2nd_place_medal: vs :1st_place_medal: P2 FrozenStorm [Demonology/Necromancy]/Finesse
2 Likes

No matter how the finals will end, we now have concluded the pairing process. I’m really looking forward to feedback and opinions about the algorithm. Feel free to rant if you have the desire :wink:

Already planned changes:

1. I’ll raise the penalty for “very unbalanced P1/P2 ratio” (if a player has to play his 5th match as P2, while he has only played 2 games as P1, for example) - see the what if discussion above about the why
  2. I’ll try to include a counter how many times a player has already played against an opponent with a different number of losses ( @charnel_mouse had to play twice against an opponent with fewer losses which is unfair )
1 Like

I thought the pairings were absolutely fine. I’d say the real questions are whether it’s actually easier for the organizer, and how easy will it be for other organizers to pick up?

2 Likes

Well it is far away from a one click only solution, but it still is less than 5 minutes overall including the post for the next round in the forum. I wrote a detailed step by step instruction with which I’m pretty certain that everybody who is capable of playing codex will easily be able to do the pairings.
I would be very happy if someone else would do the pairings for the next tournament, obviously I would be willing to help out in case there are questions or unforseen issues with the spreadsheet.
The only thing I’m not familiar with is what I have to do to get Google to the point where it trusts the code. When you want to use the macros from the spreadsheet Google asks you whether you really trust the creator of it, as it might get access to all your other Google spreadsheet data. I tried a lot but was unable to this better.

For reference:

And congratulations go out to @FrozenStorm for a very impressive way to win this tournament, well deserved!

I’m still curious about further feedback about the algorithm and also the question is out: is anyone else willing to do the organization of the next tourney? I’d love to help out with the pairing algorithm and to provide first level support in case it is required :sweat_smile:

Edit: and what a crazy P2 tournament this was. If I did not miscount we only had 6 times a P1 victory out of 27 matches… Weird!

5 Likes

Wild how P2 heavy this tourney was. GG WP to everyone :slight_smile:

I can probably organize the next one but am happy for others to step up. If I don’t see a sign-up thread posted by end of next week I’ll post one

1 Like

Really looking forward to someone else using the new algorithm in order to safe time for the organizer!
In case it’s required I can always jump in for a future tournament again as it really isn’t that much work, but I think it’s better if the tournament organizer is a judge and for that I’m way too far away from the required understanding of the ruling.

I’m a little busy at the moment, but I’d be up for running XCAFS.

2 Likes

Browsing through old threads I just saw that a table with the final standings is nice in a tournament thread, so here it is. Congratulations again go out to the worthy winner @FrozenStorm

2 Likes

The ordering for Dreamfire and Moby_dick looks off.
In any case, thanks for hosting, zango!

1 Like

I chose to make this part of the ordering in line with the timing when the players left the tournament.
Moby dropped before dreamfire’s last game started and dreamfire would have had a bye otherwise.

1 Like