[Tournament] eXperimental Codex Asynchronous Fall ~~Swiss~~ Round Robin (XCAFS19)

I want to see how everyone uses my Codex.

I didn’t vote for the good-car format because I thought you kept decks between rounds, so if it’s shuffled each round consider the tie settled.

5 Likes

I’m in! Noobs are welcome right?

6 Likes

You gotta start somewhere!

1 Like

Tournaments are an excellent place to learn. Especially Swiss tournaments because your win-loss run doesn’t affect how many matches you get to play

2 Likes

For this version of Swiss, anyhow. The usual “Swiss and drop at 3 losses” in Codex tournaments does, though.

2 Likes

I’m in! deck tbc

3 Likes

I’m in. Might be a bit slow first couple weeks, I have a bunch of stuff on at the end of this month.

3 Likes

So, this is probably the least convenient time to think of this, but for future gimmick tournaments, I’d like to suggest an ongoing ban system. At the start of each round, your opponent gets to ban (both copies of) one card in your codex from being used for not only that game, but every game for the rest of the tournament, forcing you to adapt to an ever shrinking card pool as time goes on.

5 Likes

Count me in!

3 Likes

So you’d be encouraged to take a flexible deck, rather than one going for a single powerful strategy? I’d be up for that, although I could also see it making Mono+Finesse even more dominant.

1 Like

I dunno, I suspect that no matter what people pick, very quickly their key cards will disappear, forcing them to use unorthodox strategies.

1 Like

I like that idea. Forces people to find viability in cards they don’t normally use

1 Like

It could be interesting for sure.

Sounds like a great idea for the next experimental!

For this experimental, however, er. It only just occurred to me: shuffling decks between rounds is ideal, yes, but how would you avoid any two given decks from simply being matched together again in the hands of different people? Since this is Swiss, and the decks are already being given points along with the players, it would probably make the most sense to match the point values of the decks with the point values of the players as closely as possible, a feat made all the more difficult not merely by the shuffling in-between rounds, but also because of the indemnification rule in place against playing with or against your own deck.

If there’s a clean way to handle all this that I haven’t considered, I would love to hear it.

4 Likes

I could try assigning the decks in a swiss-y sort of semi-random fashion… The tourney’s mostly for fun though, I don’t know that it would be too awful to just full random it

1 Like

Does it really matter if the same two decks get matched against each other in the hands of different people? It’s not all the deck after all, right?

1 Like

Yeah my thought exactly, swiss-ing the decks feels perhaps unnecessary as I think the players are more influential, but I’m open to ideas

1 Like

How many people are signed up? If it’s sufficiently small, just make it a RACE :wink:

1 Like

What’s a “RACE?” Also I want to change my Codex submission to Fire/Present/Growth.