Summer Smash V - Round 1 deadline is July 15th

I climbed the Spire, ever higher, dagger in hand, ascending the floors.

The Nameless One then struck me down; my eyes snapped shut like closing doors.

They open again, a familiar face. Eternally, I question why.

His maw unfolds with putrid breath, again he asks…

The Silent (Leontes) vs. Crassus (@SouthpawHare)

:grave::psfist::pschip::gwen:
:grave::psfist::pschip::onimaru:
:grave::psfist::pschip::vendetta:
:grave::pschip::psfist::degrey:
:zane::pschip::psfist::degrey:
:zane::psfist::pschip::degrey:

Leontes wins, 4-2.

“I climb, I die, I climb again.”

The last three games SPH was completely in the driver’s seat. Solidly beaten in game 4, game 5 I went for a Maximum Anarchy gamble that didn’t pay off (he had to play exactly 1 of his last two remaining Ks to get hit by it realistically), and then I was dropped to 1 HP VERY QUICKLY by a couple high-powered Pilebunker combos that fortunately left his hand at 1 card.

I powered up my entire hand to threaten Anarchy, and landed a Throw into his Dodge; 9 and J put him down to 44. With :degrey: knocked down and at 2 cards, I just played faceup Anarchy and prayed for the checkmate. It was.

I think if I wasn’t already up 3-0 when :degrey: came out, this would have been a lot different.

Excellent play SPH. Good luck in 19XX!

11 Likes

R1L snoc vs @Jengajam

:setsuki: :psfist::pschip: :troq: pre-counterpicked, but my Qs are better than his and he doesn’t manage to get swole or find any jokers
:setsuki: :psfist::pschip: :troq: similar to G1
:setsuki: :psfist::pschip: :onimaru: this time I (mostly) avoid being decapitated by the HUGE SWORD except for when I fail to use my joker after being dodged at 24hp, but manage to close it out from there by swinging into Authrowity
:setsuki: :pschip::psfist: :troq: BEAST UNLEASHED but still down to a 1hp coinflip on the last combat
:lum: :pschip::psfist: :troq: too impatient to finish this one off and dodge into AA is a Good Enough Move
:lum: :psfist::pschip: :troq: Truly an insane game, Troq naturally draws all 4 Ks and AA in the top ~20 cards, then I pull off a clutch Blackjack into PF, followed by a later JA flip into another Blackjack for the win!

GGs, I had a lot of the right cards at the right times but I was sweating all the way and not just because of the heatwave.

SMASH SPIDEY

7 Likes

R2 vengefulpickle vs @UTRALAW

:troq::psfist::pschip::menelker: Got pushed to low hand, and punished for it, before stealing the game with a hyuk-ed up throw into 5.
:troq::psfist::pschip::troq: Drew good cards and was able to perfect the mirror
:troq::pschip::psfist::geiger: Got blowed up real good. How do I even play this MU?
:persephone::pschip::psfist::geiger: Long game, down to the wire, with many aces applied to faces. My Pers play was super subpar… (like, Mistress Command into dodge into 4… twas a miracle I managed to pull the game out as long as I did)
:persephone::psfist::pschip::geiger: I remember how to play, and get a solid Pers vortex up and running.
:persephone::pschip::psfist::menelker: Too many fast cards, too much damage. Ouch, ouch, ouch.
:zane::psfist::pschip::menelker: Opening Crash Bomb into Bonecracker sets the tone of this match. I do nasty Zane things, and close out the perfect exactsies with the hidden Minimum Anarchy Slipstream Phase that I was dealt on turn one. There were only 42 actions in the replay for this one. My cards were truly excellent.

Great games, @UTRALAW! Sorry for all the interruptions, and best of luck in the rest of the tournament!

2 Likes

Fluffiness 4-0 @MR75

:persephone::psfist::pschip::menelker: MR ate a 28 damage combo because he forgot to play his joker into my throw on 28 hp, which let me steal a game which I probably should have lost.
:persephone::psfist::pschip::menelker: My first ByS of the game nabs me 777. A bonecrackerless Menelker is not a scary Menelker.
:persephone::psfist::pschip::menelker: I land a turn 3 MC, eliminating 2 ItOs. This lets me play loose with my graveyard recursion, and really takes the pressure off of hand and graveyard management for that game.
:persephone::psfist::pschip::menelker: He banishes all my aces, which makes Perse’s lategame hands super awkward, but 4 topdeck Qs in a row lets me grind it out. Also, he didn’t banish my joker, and I jokered a lethal AA.

GGs MR, and good luck in the rest of the bracket!

7 Likes

It seems that my luck is flowing away…
Anyway, I love Mene-Perse MU, so I enjoyed it a lot, even if pratically I was destroyed!

WK4 for now…

7 Likes

I’m not certain, but I think you get extra points for that.

6 Likes

If Pokémon has taught me anything, he wins 300 game corner coins.

6 Likes

Hey! those were my cards!
So I should have earned extra points or coins!

Moreover in game 3 his BYS drew a straight KQJ: do those ones mean something too?

2 Likes

Against Menelker, it means Perse is going to win.

4 Likes

Ah, but Fluffiness was the one who pulled the lever, so to speak. :wink:

2 Likes

And so it was…

Caralad vs @Rinzler

“Upupupupupu”

"Ahem, so…I’m sure you’ve noticed the killing game has begun, but…
…there’s still room for a little laughter.
It seems our newest students, already so filled with despair, still have some hope of escape!
Puhuhu… So when will it begin?
When will their hope begin to die?
Is it time yet? Is it time!?
Heartpounding excitement!

:troq: :psfist: :pschip: :rook:
:troq: :pschip: :psfist: :rook:
:troq: :pschip: :psfist: :rook:
:bbb: :psfist: :pschip: :rook: - I succumb to the temptation of Robo Satan

5 Likes

I landed CMB once so it’s cool

Wish I got it on BBB but I’ll take it where I can.

6 Likes

mysticjuicer 4 - 2 Hobusu

:troq: :psfist: :knockdown: :degrey:
:troq: :knockdown: :psfist: :degrey: honest moves by Hobusu!
:troq: :knockdown: :psfist: :degrey: devious moves by Hobusu!

ggs Hobusu! a very fun set! :smiley:

3 Likes

I’m looking forward to the video for this one, we were laughing so much by the end that my play fell apart in round 6! Still satisfied, since I landed multiple raw Pilebunkers! :laughing:

ggs!

2 Likes

You did not fake the funk on several nasty bunks.

3 Likes

i too will be looking forward to the video…not enough Degrey game play video out there IMO :chibidegrey::chibighost:

2 Likes

the devil (gutterowl) loses 3-4 to thrall (@Xiba)

:persephone::knockdown::psfist::midori:
:persephone::knockdown::psfist::midori:
:onimaru::psfist::knockdown::midori:
:onimaru::knockdown::psfist::midori:
:onimaru::psfist::knockdown::midori:
:onimaru::psfist::knockdown::setsuki:
:onimaru::knockdown::psfist::argagarg:

match 3, timer caused xiba to throw a 2 against a low guard crush. karma came back around in match 7, when i played an oni q against blowfish spikes, only to remember i’d spent my only 9 as a throw. that gave him the time he needed to go for the hex victory against a stacked hand of oni damage.

good set, xiba. see you in grand finals. :smiley:

7 Likes

Me and ivan going down sunday 11 am PDT

ggs man. Even if u have 9 that turn I will block your 9 with my 10 in hand so that I can use my As confidently. I never win matches against :persephone: before our match. I’m lucky to win two against your :persephone: .I just learn some tricks about :midori: several days ago from @Leontes and it works! I always trust my :argagarg: .

3 Likes