Rules Questions thread

Ir was clarified before that the default is always “control” and if “own” is intended it will be explicitly mentioned in the card

1 Like

huh

…well okay then

You won’t get the bonus in that case.

To elaborate, let’s imagine that you are copying a 1/1 unit you control that is being buffed by another card that gives all your units +1 atk (so it’s a 2/1 right now). There are basically two ways to do this: either the bonus is “baked in” to the new pre-bonus stats (like in hearthstone), then the bonus is applied a second time, giving you a 3/1 after taking the bonus into account, or the pre-bonus stats are copied (like in MtG), then the bonus is applied only once, giving you a 2/1. Codex works like MtG in this regard.

So if the bonus only applies to your opponent’s units, and you copy one of those, you won’t get the bonus.

1 Like

A follow up to the mirror image then. If the card has an action when it comes into play do x. Does that trigger when I copy it? Or no since the card it’s self was already in play?

Arrives effects do not trigger when a card is copied. Copying a card is sort of like pretending it was that way all along.

4 Likes

Another question. If a hero is summoned with haste. And is maxed that turn. Would it then be able to cast an ult spell?

No.
The hero must be already at max level in the start of the turn.
Haste is not relevant.

On the other hand
Prynn and Bigby can be summoned, maxed, and cast their ultimate spell in the same turn. But they still cannot attack in that turn because they dont have haste.
Why are a Prynn and Bigby so special? Their ultimate spell text say they can, so they can.

2 Likes

Question
Can you exhause mirror skeletons for skeletal lord ability?

Can drakk maxband give haste to a unit you put with skeletal lord ability?

Yes and Yes.

Mirror Skeletons are actually Illusion Skeletons, and will be affected by anything which cares about either of those types.

Drakk maxband will trigger the first time a unit enters play from your hand. Skeletal Lord puts a unit into play from your hand, so this triggers Drakk.

1 Like

So the word “put” in skeletal lord card did not contradict the drakk ability because the ability only said “arrive from hand” and not "play from hand"
ie If the wording in drakk maxband was “first unit played from hand”, it wouldnt trigger.

Interesting to compare with jail.
Meaning if I use skeletal lord to “put” a tech3 unit from hand, it will NOT go to opponent jail since I didnt “play” it from hand. Yet it WILL trigger drakk maxband since it simply arrived “from hand”

Loving it

2 Likes

Right. Play means “pay the cost of a unit in your hand and put it into play”, and can always be done during your main phase. It’s how most units come into play. However, Skeleton Lord puts a unit directly into play (without paying its cost), and avoids things like Jail. Drakk doesn’t say “units played from hand” it says “unit that arrive from your had”, so it is triggered both by units which are played from hand, and those which are put into play from your hand.

3 Likes

Continuing the discussion from Necro Tech II: How good is it? What's the game plan?:

Can a Blackhand Resurrector summon a hero if you couldn’t normally have that many heroes in play? For example, if you have 2 heroes in play and a Tech II built, could Blackhand Resurrector summon the 3rd one even without having Tech III or a Heroes’ Hall? I ask because nothing on the card or in the rulings for the card gives any indication either way.

I’m curious about this as well. Blackhand Resurrector already breaks the “can’t summon heroes on cooldown” rule, so it could conceivably break the “you can only have X heroes in play” rule as well. Good question.

1 Like
Not for Jadiel

OK, so I’m trying to decide what to use Zane’s maxband ability on. If I target the Mirror, does it die before getting moved because I’ve targeted it? I’m assuming the answer to that is yes, but does that also mean that he killed the mirror while it was in the Technician slot, and thus Zane lets me draw a card?

Yes to everything.

3 Likes

Thought of the same question a bit ago.

2 Likes

Do we have rule makers talking about this or are we all just players trying to make sense of all of this? Lol

@sharpobject is the official rules keeper for Codex.

1 Like

all sharpo’s answers are run by Sirlin

1 Like

I’m the rules dictator for the game, but I have to defer to the rules deity of the game sometimes.

11 Likes