Rules Questions thread

no, just as a particular case since it’s the only morphing card that says: “with no abilities” so even one time effects that can go on any card, like doom, are negated.

I wouldn’t think effects are abilities. That could cause some really weird interactions regarding Midori’s midband.

1 Like

Oh, I think I’m guessing where the confusion is coming from.

I’m with @Nekoatl on this. Effects are not abilities. It’s an overreach to interpret the squirrel’s “with no abilities” wording as negating one-time effects.

Since Sirlin wrote the ruling on this, we could consider it that the intent was to negate one-time effects and that it’s a wording error on the card that this is not mentioned.

Speaking of doom, here’s the text for Vandy’s maxband:

Give +2/+2 to one friendly and one opposing tech 0 or I unit. They lose +2/+2 and die at your next upkeep.

I hadn’t noticed before, but the second sentence could be read as if it’s part of the maxband, rather than part of the effect applied to the units, because it’s not “given”. In that case, if Vandy dies or is hit with Nether drain, the second part wouldn’t happen. Is this just a faulty reading of ambiguous wording?

I think this ruling answers your question:

The units targeted by the max level ability will still lose the bonus and die during Vandy’s owner’s next upkeep, even if Vandy isn’t around. — sharpo, 03/14/16

2 Likes

… but I certainly get why you would question that, since Feather Rune is handled (astonishingly) how you described.

Hy!
Timing question: judgment day & captured bugblatter… I would say the active player chooses the destroying order (bugblatter first or last depending its side) but I can’t find this rulling.
Any idea?

All the units die at the same time, and every unit sees every unit die, including itself.

3 Likes

oh…
So bugblatter deals damage for every unit…

2 Likes

thank you!

1. Can a mirror illusion token copy a forecast unit with time runes? If so, what happens and what doesn’t?
  2. When a mirror illusion token copies a forecast unit without time runes, does the illusion come with time runes and forecast?
  3. When a mirror illusion token copies a fading unit, does the illusion come with time runes and fading?
    (I think the answer is likely a “no”, as “If you somehow have something with fading in play with 0 time runes (probably because you made a copy of something if fading), it won’t die from fading anymore.”)
  4. When a mirror illusion token copies a unit, is it a token anymore?
  5. When a mirror illusion token copies a “when arrives” unit, is the “when arrives” effect triggered?
  6. Does gigadon’s ability only activate while in hand, but not in play? I know it’s intended to be an “in-hand-only” ability, but various problems might arise if that is not printed on the card.
    e.g. I have 1 gigadon and 3 other green units in play and 1 gigadon in my hand. Does that make the gigadon in my hand a 1-drop (9-4-4) or a 5-drop (9-4)?
  1. No, nothing can interact with a forecasted card that doesn’t explicitly say that it can.
  2. No, as the Illusion is not arriving, forecast will not trigger.
  3. No, it will come with fading, but not with time runes. Fading will attempt to remove time runes normally, but will not succeed, and as no time rune is removed, will not cause the Illusion to die. If a time rune were added to the card, then it would die when the rune was removed, but this can’t happen because Seer or Time Spiral can only target cards that have at least one time rune (good to keep in mind when using them to recharge Tricycloid).
  4. Yes. Cards can’t become tokens, and tokens can’t become cards, regardless of copying or anything else.
  5. No, as the Illusion is not arriving, “when arrives” will not trigger.
  6. Gigadon’s ability modifies the cost of the card as you are playing it (note this is distinct from putting it into play, so the discount will not apply to Temporal Distortion or Garth’s maxband). It doesn’t matter where you play it from; you get the discount even if playing it from a Graveyard. But your question seems to be, if a Gigadon is in play, does it provide a stacking discount to your other Gigadon as you play it, to which I’m pretty confident the answer is no, but I don’t think that question has been officially addressed, so feel free to poke sharpobject if you want.
4 Likes

Gigadon costs less to play for “each green unit you have”, so I’d think it counts.

The question is, when a card mentions its own name, is it referring to that card itself as is the case in MtG, or is it referring to any card with that name? In order to double-dip on the discount, the latter would have to be the case, but this would have consequences elsewhere, for example, if you and your opponent have Gargoyles in play, and you activate Gargoyle’s ability, they would all lose indestructible, gain flying, and so on… even those belonging to your opponent! I can’t imagine that’s the intended behavior.

4 Likes

When my midband Zane kills a hero in technician:
am I right that I am allowed to choose the order of the triggers from killing the hero and therefore could choose to look at the draw first before deciding which of my heros gets the level bonus?

1 Like

I believe the award of free levels is not a triggered ability and does not go into the queue, but rather happens immediately.

5 Likes

Correct! Hero levels bounty is immediate.

1 Like

Though that does raise an interesting question… if level 1 Vandy kills an enemy hero with an attack and kills the only Chronofixer with sparkshot damage during that attack, does she gain free levels?

For Vandy to get the levels it would be necessary for the sparkshot kill to be before the basic attack hero kill. While it’s plausible to decide that sparkshot is simultaneous with the attack damage, then it’s active player’s choice, then sparkshot is faster… that feels like a gimmick.

Full disclosure: it’s significantly easier to code sparkshot as a later event to the basic attack. Fully possible to work around, but feels like it would be unnecessary work to enable such a gimmicky edge case if this is the only issue.

All combat damage, including sparkshot, is dealt simultaneously. I’m inclined to agree that Vandy wouldn’t get the levels, though.