Rules Questions thread

It’s the Tower dealing the extra 1 damage, not Orpal, and Orpal’s ability only modifies the attack damage done by Orpal, specifically, so 1 normal damage (from Tower) and X -1/-1 runes (from Orpal) is correct.

3 Likes

What does happen against Orpal is that the tower can let you take less damage: if your attacking unit has 1 health and swift strike, and the defender deals damage in - runes, getting killed by the tower means no rune spread from Orpal’s maxband ability.

1 Like

I’ve never seen this agreed. I would’ve contested it, because that’s certainly not right.

1 Like

I suspect it just seemed that players were on the same page because the results tend to be the same with either interpretation.

Maybe it’s just me that’s been doing it wrong XD I think I’ve been doing the swift strike thing wrong also

Think about it like this: if the tower damage took on properties of the defender, Tiny Basilisk would become much harder to bypass with the likes of Discord.

3 Likes

On the other hand, that would be a very amusing spell possibility for Bigby, possibly a rework of Jurisdiction. Probably a bit too finnicky/specific though.

Imbue Tower could be an interesting fan card, yeah :smiley:

1 Like

Hi guys, I’m just playing a game via steam tabletop simulator. If Drakk gives a unit haste which is to be copied by a mirror token. Does the mirror get haste?

1 Like

No, copies take on the printed characteristics of a card, but not modifiers that don’t specifically modify “printed” characteristics.

3 Likes

For completeness I should note that the same ruling is also on the Sirus Quince page on the Codex Card Database, in case there was any question about whether copying something with Manufactured Truth works differently than Quince copying something (it does not).

2 Likes

thanks a lot and sorry for having posted without having looked properly in advance! mea culpa

2 Likes

Dear all, I have a timing question that I wasn’t able to resolve by my keyword search (probably just used the wrong keywords, as I assume this situation should not be too uncommon):
As far as I understood this game does not use a stack. So if a Drill Sergeant (or a BA) has plenty of runes and A LOT of damage on him in such a way that if he was to remove all runes, he would die way before removing the last rune. Is my understanding of the timing correct, that he will die way before he is able to remove the last rune? An example to be more specific:
BA with 10 runes and already 13 damage is 12/1. If I remove a rune from him, he immediately dies, I am not able to make use of the other 9 runes, right?

The rune-passing ability, for both Drill Sergeants and Blooming Ancients, is written such that only one rune is passed on at a time, and this is fully resolved before they can pass another one. When passing on a rune takes them to zero or less health, they die, and the remaining runes go away with them.

Regarding the question about using a stack, Codex uses a queue rather than a stack. You can search for “queue” in the thread to see what that entails, but it’s not relevant for understanding rune-passing.

4 Likes

Disabling a unit exhausts it, and stops it from readying during its next ready step.

Rampaging Elephant readies the first time it’s exhausted each turn.

Do we, therefore, get the following?

1. If my opponent’s Rampaging Elephant is exhausted, and I disable it (once), I’ve effectively just readied it for them.
  2. I can disable my own disabled Rampaging Elephant, to ready it. I can also attack with it this turn, but then it won’t ready at the start of my next turn.
1 Like

I think if the Elephant is exhausted, disabling it won’t ready it because the disable doesn’t successfully exhaust him. I don’t think it’s possible to exhaust a unit that isn’t ready, hence why Sparring Partner has an ability to pay $2 to ready him so that it’s possible to exhaust him to create a rune. So, the disable would proceed according to Do As Much As You Can:

(Using disable)

1. Try to exhaust Elephant, can’t do it because Elephant is already exhausted.
  2. Elephant’s ability doesn’t trigger, because exhaust doesn’t occur.
  3. Apply affect to prevent Elephant from readying next upkeep.
  4. Try to sideline Elephant, can’t do it because it’s not patrolling.

(Next upkeep)

1. Try to ready Elephant, can’t do it because of disable effect.
  2. Elephant’s ability doesn’t trigger, because exhaust doesn’t occur.
2 Likes

The “Exhaust” definition in the rulebook just says that if a card is exhausted, “You can’t exhaust it again until you ready it.” Which definitely rules out part 2 in the way you describe. Depending on how you interpret the first use of “you”, I’m not sure whether it rules out part 1.

I think the card to look at for comparison is Skeletal Lord. His second ability reads “Exhaust five of your Skeletons → Put a unit from your hand into play,” and it explicitly only works if you had five ready Skeletons. So it seems like “exhaust” as a verb might mean something like ‘successfully change from ready to exhausted’.

If that’s the case, you can’t re-ready an exhausted Elephant, but he is quite a bad target for an opponent’s Arrest.

3 Likes

Arrest still sidelines Rampaging Elephant, so it could be a good play in some circumstances.

3 Likes

Yeah, now I’ve looked at the rules, it’s clear that you can’t re-exhaust your own exhausted cards. Where I’m stumbling on the part I quoted is whether it applies to enemy cards, due to the double-use of “you”.