Rules Questions thread

And officially documented, with the exact errata applied to any affected cards / abilities / rulebook entries, so that future questions can be answered without reference to “that’s just the way it is.”

Also, my recollection was that someone said “this is how it should work” and then I said “that’s a really bad interpretation for {reasons}” and no-one said anything after that.

So far, my list of errata is:

Rulebook mention of tokens leaving play: should say “ceases to exist” instead of "are destroyed"
Rulebook mention of fading: when you remove the last rune from something with fading it “dies,” it does not “die from fading.” Things only “die from fading” when you remove the last rune using the turn-based upkeep effect.
Sacrifice the Weak: should have “that can be sacrificed” or “ignoring units that can’t be sacrificed” or "weakest sacrifice-able unit"
and apparently Hooded Executioner, Death Rites, and Oblitterate need some as-yet-to-be-determined change to match designer intent.

6 Likes

I’m not saying immortal is an answer to everything about everything? I’m not sure what you were getting at.

I thought the designer had weighed in on the subject of hooded executioner et al, but if not, then something official will have to be decided on eventually, and this is the place for that discussion.

Unrelated interesting corner-cases:

Scenario:
I have a Hero’s Monument in play, and Daigo Stormborne leaves play (for example, he could get Rewound).
I then play a second Hero’s Monument, which is immediately put in the discard pile because it’s the second copy of a Legendary Building.
Its Arrives: ability still happens, however (which we know because DeGrey still triggers, even if it’s the second copy), putting a new Daigo Stormborne into play
This new Daigo won’t be trashed when the old Monument leaves play, since he was created by the new one, which can’t leave play to trigger its own restriction.

Scenario:
If you Doom Grasp an Illusion with a Soul Stone, it loses the Soul Stone, and then still gets destroyed by the Doom Grasp effect.

1 Like

Why wouldn’t the second Daigo vanish when the second Monument goes to the discard? What is keeping Daigo 2 in play? If its arrive ability triggers, doesn’t that mean it was in play, however briefly? And therefore when it left play, its leave play will trigger? Secondary example, if I have a necromancer and played a second Terras Q, will it trigger necromancer and create a skeleton by going to the discard?

The monument goes to the discard first (due to Legendary rule), and then the Arrives ability resolves.

Im not clear why the legendary rule has to resolve before the arrives ability?

I can’t get to the rulebook anymore, but the description I remember was that Legendary happens “immidiately”

Even if it was at the same time as “arrives” the active player can order them in the more beneficial order.

Ok, lets assume you order the legendary and the arrives in either order, you will still have to resolve both before you can move onto the leaves play trigger. Further: The “Trash him when this leaves play” clause is clearly something the monument has, not Daigo. If the ability was placed on Daigo, then i could see the order mattering the way you described, but the trigger is placed on the Monument, as indicated by the pronouns.

The rule book says concerning legendaries “if a second copy would come under your control, it’s discarded instead”. Based on this I don’t think the Arrives effect triggers.

1 Like

Isn’t “Trash him when this leaves play” part of the "Arrives: … " trigger, and therefore doesn’t exist until you have resolved that trigger?

Ah, interesting. So playing a second DeGrey does NOT trigger his token effect, then?

Actually, lettucemode saves us both, that would make sense from the wording. So DeGrey doesn’t. it also means Zarramonde, the Obliterator doesn’t which seems much more important.

That said, you could still trigger Drill Sergeant and flagstone Garrison off legendaries.

That would also mean that copying a Legendary causes the original unit to die (ie - if you Manufactured Truth a Crash Bomber into your own Galina, you get the Crash Bomber “dies” trigger), and stealing a duplicate copy of a Legendary causes the original to die “in place” and trigger patrol zone bonuses, if applicable.

Now, of course, the question becomes “what happens when you Manufactured Truth a Gilded Glaxx into a copy of your Legendary” - it looks like your Manufactured Truth just fails, since the Glaxx gets discarded “instead” of being a second Legendary, and then it can’t leave play, so just nothing happens.

It does say gain control. You could kidnap to kill an opponents legendary if you both have the same one, or even better copy your opponents Terras Q with Quince then kidnap their Terras Q (Who would play a Terras Q against truth?!), because we need more ridiculously convoluted ways to kill units.

As for Gilded Glaxx, it would goto the discard, because it doesn’t have the gilded glaxx ability while it is copied into the other thing. Better plan is copy a Galina into a Gilded Glaxx… That said, I’m not confident in either interpretation.

My interpretation hinges on the idea that first it is copied, then it comes under your control, which is a bit dubious considering arrives effects won’t trigger, and yours assumes that manufactured truth is bringing something under your control, which also seems a bit dubious.

Well you wouldn’t want to spend 7 gold to Kidnap a TerrasQ unless it would kill it - it wouldn’t be able to attack unless you got rid of the Warlocks! The point of my comment was that it dies while still under the opponent’s control… with all that implies.

And Glaxx still has it’s abilities, since it never becomes a copy (it gets discarded instead of letting you control two of the same Legendary, so it can’t be dying as a copy of the Legendary)

So, when does manufactured truth resolve, at some point its effect has to hit the gilded glaxx. Just because it wasn’t discarded doesn’t mean Manufactured truth can’t continue resolving?

Manufactured Truth goes from:

One of your tech 0 or 1 units becomes a copy of another tech 0 or 1 unit until end of turn.

to

One of your tech 0 or 1 units is discarded

if you try to use it to copy your own Legendary unit. Once it resolves, the spell goes to your discard pile and carry on.

I voncede to the interpretation. also, This is a pretty narrow case. Ardra’s Boulder and Galina Glimmer and Jandra, the negator are the only cases for manufactured truth, and it would be pretty difficult to get Jandra and manufactured truth going.

No comment on what crazy shenanigans you would have to be up to to even want to use MT as “destroy a unit you control”

I think the most likely scenario would be Kidnapping an opposing Tech I, attacking with it, and then making it a copy of Boulder in order to kill it rather than return it.

“Imagines Truth/Blood/Strength or Peace/Blood/Strength”

That’s 6 gold and 2 cards to mess around with what better be a damn awesome tech 1. I could see it for a twilight baron with Spirit of the Panda.

It might be your only way to get rid of a Hardened Mox with +1/+1 runes (Legend rule “Discards” the card instead of “Destroying” it, so Indestructible won’t save it)