Rules Questions thread

Law is one of the few factions I’m least worried about being too powerful.

1 Like

That’s not an excuse for a single card to be OP, though.

And Injunction is already strong.

You already can remove a tech building for two turns. If you disable tech 1 and destroy tech 2, they can’t rebuild tech 2 until their tech 1 is functional again.
At least, I’m pretty sure.

Yeah, you are correct.

But if Injunction denies rebuilding, you can deny Tech II for a whopping three turns =\

Injunction seems strong, but in my experience, it’s generally too expensive to be practical during the early- to mid-game, and does too little in the late game. Yeah, you can lock down some of your opponent’s units and delay their tech progress a bit, but they’ll use the gold and card advantage you’re giving up to just kill Bigby using other cards, and then tech up safely with a board advantage. (That’s the problem with blue control in general: it costs resources to use but doesn’t take any resources from the opponent, so they just reallocate those resources to kill you in some way other than what you lock them out of.)

How’s that 3 turns? They can’t rebuild during the 1st turn, they rebuild on the 2nd, and they can play their tech cards and/or build their next tech building on the 3rd, right? So, only 2 turns of downtime? Considering you’re investing in both the spell’s cost and the building damage, that seems worth 2 turns of downtime to me, as that’s what you’d get if you just staggered the two. Normally, the ideal use-case for Injunction is surprise your opponent on the turn after they build their Tech II building by locking down their Tech I and clear away enough patrollers to break their Tech II, then follow-up by continuing to Injunction or break their Tech I.

Let’s not turn this into Blue Strategy thread, shall we :wink:

You Injunct Tech I, destroy Tech II and destroy Tech I. If Injunction blocks rebuilds, next turn your opponent rebuilds nothing, the turn after rebuilds Tech I, turn after Tech II, and only after turn after he can play his Tech II. So, 3 turns without Tech II.

2 Likes

Okay, but that requires a whopping 10 points of building damage plus the cost of an Injunction spell in the same turn, so effectively a 3 turn delay in tech progress for 3 tech buildings’ worth of investment. Still seems fair.

1 Like

Hope I’m doing this right. (this seems a strange format for rules questions to all be in a single thread.)

My rules question is in regards to cards like Rampant Growth or Sensei’s Advice that add +X/+X to a unit/hero for this turn. What is meant by “this turn”? Is it only the active player’s turn, or does it carry through the opponent’s turn as well? I guess it boils down to what a turn is. Thanks.

Only the active player’s turn. Other buff spells like Ferocity and Elite Training grant bonuses until the casting player’s next upkeep.

2 Likes

Yes you can attack it.
Yes he can rebuild it.

non-rules part of the post: I guess if it’s already disabled and you can get some damage through, you’d usually prefer to reduce that tech building to 1 or 2 but not kill it.

3 Likes

In that case, if you kill it and he quickly rebuilds it with a Verdant Tree, is the newly rebuilt building disabled?

3 Likes

That’s a relief :slight_smile:

Oh. Snap. That’s a good question.

In before someone waltzes in and asks why would you do that I will point out that it’s a Rules thread where we learn the nooks and crannies of the rules, and not a Strategy thread.

Also, there exist cards like Death and Decay and Earthquake which are not polite enough to inquire whether you want to destroy a damaged Tech building or not.

1 Like

The newly built building is not disabled.

2 Likes

I want to confirm my understanding of some nuances regarding Orpal’s maxband:

1. For units with Resist, since the active player is choosing the targets, he has to pay resist costs to target his opponents’ units, but not his own.

2. If units with -1/-1 runes belonging to multiple players die simultaneously, the active player gets to choose which of those units is considered to have died first, and thereby which player’s units will get targeted for -1/-1 runes (among the owners of the dying units).

3. The choice of which unit died first is not limited to those players which would result in the most units being targeted, because “Do As Much As You Can” applies while resolving an effect, and the choice of which unit died must occur before an ability triggers in response to the death of the first unit, and by extension, before the resolution of that ability.

Addendum strange edge case:

What happens if 2 Maxband Orpals exist, for example in a multiplayer match. Do four -1 runes get placed? (My guess is yes, first 2, and then another 2 assuming anything is still left)

I’d say both Orpal abilities definitely go into the queue. The really interesting question is whether or not both of those abilities have to see the same unit as being the first to die.

1 Like

My unit has a Soul Stone buff spell and the enemy’s Peynn Pasternaak (max band ability) trashes my unit … what happens?
Trash = Die ?
what about Ephemeral + Soul stone?

thx for the help

Trash does not equal die, so Soul Stone cannot prevent Prynn from trashing a unit. Once the unit is trashed the Soul Stone will be discarded because the unit it was attached to left play.

1 Like

Ephemeral does say that the unit “Dies at end of turn,” so Soul Stone would allow a unit with Ephemeral to survive the end of one turn.

2 Likes

Just keep in mind that Ephemeral actually means “dies at the end of every turn” so a Soul Stone would only prevent the first death.

2 Likes