Rules Questions thread

I thought I read somewhere that the patrol doesn’t even “lock in” until after your turn is actually over.

Might be in the regular rulebook although I can’t check right now. Your units don’t start patroling, and therefore gain any effect from patrolling, until your opponents turn has begun. End of turn effects naturally must resolve before your opponents turn can begin thus ephemeral units never truly make it to the patrol zone.

No. They do patrol but they die before opppnent turn giving you no rewards

From rulebook:

but they don’t actually count as patrollers (or even count as being
in those slots) until they’re locked in. When you end your main phase, your patrollers are locked in until your next turn.

From rulebook:

Each of your five patrol slots gives a different bonus on opponents’ turns

The interesting question is if you cast bloodluston ironbark treant that already has one damage, then put it in patrol as squad leader, is it gonna die at end of turn ?
It is clear from above rulebook quote that the squad leader armor wont be in effect when bloodlust hits ot for 1 dmg . but it is not clear if the two armors it gets while patrolling will be in effect or not. From above rulebook quotes, it is technically patrolling.

I would say the existing ruling confirms that it’s always 3/2 on your turn.

1 Like

Right

He’s a 3/2 on your turn. The -2 ATK / +2 armor only happens on opponents turns and only while he’s in your patrol zone. If something removes him from your patrol zone on an opponent’s turn, he loses the stat adjustment. — Sirlin

2 Likes

Your patrol ‘locks in’ (i.e. you can’t change it) at the end of your main phase. However, none of your units are actually considered to be patrolling until the start of your opponent’s turn. I know you know this, but I just thought I’d point it out in case your post confused new players reading the thread

1 Like

I agree with this in principal, but I don’t recall seeing any ruling that states this.

As a new player,when I read:

From the rulebook:
…they don’t actually count as patrollers until they’re locked in. When you end your main phase, your patrollers are locked in…

I read it as, they don’t A until B. When you end your main phase, B → Therefore A.

2 Likes

It is true that a unit is locked into the patrol slot at the end of the main phase, and could even be called a patroller at that point, but none of the patrol slot bonuses activate until your opponent’s turn.

So is there still a scenario that is confusing here?

It sounds like everyone agrees on the function, and are just arguing the designation “patroller”

2 Likes

As a follow-up to the above, based on the wording:

From the rulebook:
…Exhausted units or heroes can’t patrol…

If something can’t patrol on its owners turn, then the ephemeral unit would not leave the patrol zone until the opponents turn.

i.e.
Sanatorium puts Immortal in play
Patrol Immortal
EOT, ephemeral trigger resolves, Immortal exhausts
Opp turn starts
Immortal is removed from patrol zone by game rule

Also notable:

From the rulebook:
…you can’t usually attack with something and patrol with it that same turn…

If something can’t patrol on its controllers turn then I find it ‘more than “can’t usually” difficult’ to attack and patrol with it during the same turn.

That scenario completely flips the function of how people have been saying it actually plays, and even how the rulebook actually reads based on lines you have previously quoted.

Some people are saying things can’t patrol on their owners turn, but what is actually meant is that they can’t get patrol bonuses on their owners turn.

@sharpobject

My opponent’s base is at 8 hp, I have an empty board with Tech III (Blood) built, 12 workers and I’m floating 4 gold. My hand contains Bloodlust, 2xCrashbomber and 2xPirate-Gang Commander. My opponent has Abomination in SQL. Drakk is available to summon, but both my other heroes are on CD. Is the following play legal?

Get Paid + float (16)
Play 2xPirate-Gang Commander, getting 6 1/1 Pirates (4)
Play Both Crashbombers for free
Summon Drak (2)
Cast Bloodlust on both Crashbombers (0)
Patrol 5 Pirates.
At end of turn, Bloodlust kills both Crashbombers, dealing 4 damage to my opponents base, I elect to deal 1 damage to 2 of my patrolling Pirates, dealing another 4 damage to base and winning me the game. If that’s legal, does it still work if I choose to deal 1 damage to the Pirate in Squad Lead?

ETA: If the answer is yes, I really ought to have made it into a ‘What’s the Play?’ :slight_smile:

4 Likes

How do you hit your own pirate?

With his Crash Bomber (self given) dies ability.

When Crash Bomber dies on your turn, you can choose to deal 1 damage to any patroller. If @Coiser is correct, and the units you’ve locked in at the end of your main phase start patrolling then, my Pirates should be legal targets for Crash Bomber.

2 Likes

Thats a very good example.
It is not if coiser was right ,however. It is , if we apply the rules as stated in the rulebook.

1 Like

Yeah. It’ll help determine on whose turn the Immortal would leave the patrol zone on. Which can have some implications.

1 Like

I’m guessing that you will not be allowed to do this. I suspect that the decision to “lock in” patrollers at the end of your main phase does not actually make them patrollers, it just schedules them to become patrollers when it is not your turn. You can still only choose legal patrollers, so units that are exhausted can’t be “locked in” to be patrollers, and units which become exhausted have their “lock in” cancelled, since they are no longer legal units for partrolling.

4 Likes

You put Doubling Barbarbarian in Taunt Slot and pass the turn.

On the opponents turn it is 3/5 with 1 armor?

I don’t understand how you would draw that conclusion…

Whenever he would gain ATK, HP, or armor, he gains double that much instead.

He doesn’t care who’s turn it is, so if he would ever gain 1 point of armor for any reason he instead gains 2.

My question is mostly based around the ruling for Lookout slot.

As best I can tell, stuff in lookout doesn’t actually gain resist 1; its some type of thing that follows the Lookout slot. Like an extra layer that effects stuff, but doesn’t actually give them anything.

If I treat squad leader slot the same way, then whatever is there doesn’t actually gain +1 armor, it just has some extra layer of protective armor the enemy has to go through before they get to it.

Similar question for elite slot. Just want to make sure I have it correct.