Rules Questions thread

prob is, that if mox is already exausted, is like wasting an obliterate, and that would imho make indistructible stuff op. Also on the old forums the rule where clarified as in this one: Obliterate is killing, whatever can’t be killed get “skipped”. Is that right atm?

Except that I think targeted effects were still allowed to “kill” indestructible units to exhaust / sideline them.

well, let’s just give the short answer, imo:
AFAIK @sharpobject said that obliterate skips indestructibles, sharpobj can make rules, hence until an errata/clarification is made, this rule stand.
Right or not?

I thought @sharpobject had added it to the rulings document, but no, I didn’t see it.

Changing the word destroy to sacrifice fixes all the confusion for all the cards which currently say “destroy lowest tech unit”.

Blackhand Dozer, Death Rites, Hooded Executioner, and anything with Obliterate should all work the same as Sacrifice the Weak. The only functional change would be that Pestering Haunt would also get skipped, not just the indetructible stuff.

I would also like to submit that blackhand dozer should work the same for consistency with Death Rites, which is textually the same effect as what blackhand dozer does.

Targeting an indestructible thing is allowed, yes, whether it destroys them or not. Obliterate does not target.

2 Likes

Yes, @sharpobject has clarified that this is how it works, and yes, he makes official rulings, so yes this is the rule atm.

1 Like

Say I have a Gargoyle and I maxband Vandy, targeting that same Gargoyle. I activate the Gargoyle. I now have 2 triggers that would seem to both happen at my next upkeep; one that kills the Gargoyle and one that makes it indestructable. What happens?

1 Like

Technically, they don’t happen at the same time. Gargoyle only lasts until your next upkeep, whereas Vandy happens at your next upkeep. So the gargoyle becomes indestructible, and then Vandy exhausts it.

To be more precise, both effects happen during ur upkeep. So is the turn player (AKA you) who got to decide if gargoyle dies (masochism) or gets indestructible before vandy maxb causes its death

Actually they are worded differently and work as Jadiel indicates. Gargoyle has “until” and Vandy has “at.”

Maybe I am confusing myself with Stash: “You may keep a card during the draw/discard step. If you do, draw one card less.”

To me this indicates the following sequence: I have 3 cards left in hand. I stash 1, discard 2, draw 4 (1 less than X+2=5), and put the stashed card back in hand for a total of 5 cards in hand.

Alternate interpretation: I have 3 cards left in hand. I stash 1, discard 2, draw 3 (1 less than X+2=4), and put the stashed card back in hand for a total of 4 cards in hand.

Can I get some clarification?

1 Like

The first option is the right one.
Since, technically, the stashed card is in your hand the whole time, the rule makes you “draw 1 less card” to account for it.

I’m pretty sure the intention is that you do what you said in your first one. However, if you’re pedantically reading the rules as written, I think the second is probably ‘correct’, as the rules specifically say that you should draw 2 more cards ‘than you discarded’, if you stashed the card, you didn’t discard it, so you would normally draw 2 more than you actually discarded (4), but the rules say to draw one less, so 3.

I’ve never seen anyone actually play with the pedantic RAW interpretation though, but it should perhaps be clarified in the rulings doc.

1 Like

Glad to hear I’m not crazy. :smiley: At least not in regards to Stash.

2016-03-07: An example of how stash works. Normally (without stash), if you have 2 cards left in hand when you reach the discard/draw phase, you’d discard both cards and then draw 4 cards (you draw 2 more than you discard). If you have stash, instead of discarding both cards, you can choose to keep one of them in your hand. If you do, you will STILL end up with 4 cards total, but you’ll be drawing 3 cards rather than 4 (the 4th card is the one you kept).

2 Likes

ah, apparently it is in the rules doc, silly me.

Might be obvious but I want to make sure.
Can I target enemy units/heros with bloodlust?
When I do the haste and +1 will be removed at the end of my turn.
As well the enemy unit/hero will get 1 damage at the end of my turn.
The haste will have no effect when played on enemy unit/hero like this.

Is that correct?

AFAIK yes, many times bloodlust have been played on my units with 1 hp to safely kill them ;__;

1 Like

So, just to confirm:

Long-range only works when attacking (or defending against a long-range attacker), right? “Defenders without long-range deal no damage to this when it attacks” suggests that it has to be actively attacking, rather than patrolling, to have the long-range characteristic to its attack.

1 Like

Also: When using Truth and copying a unit that has an “Arrives:” keyword, does the copy perform the “arrives” action, or is it considered to have already arrived because the card is already on the table? By the same token, can one play a Mirror Illusion one turn, then on the next turn play a unit, and copy that unit with the existing Mirror Illusion to effectively get a pseudo-haste effect?

YEs, longe range works only in attack, and as defense against other LR units.
For the second question, imo, the “arrives” gets copied but is ineffective, since the mirror was already there, missing the timing. Like drakk maxb, it cannot activate retroactively. The mirror becomes a copy, but since it was already on the field, the “arrive” step is lost.

1 Like