Rules Questions thread

And can I target an Illusion with Hallucination? It is an Illusion already, so if I can do it: why? Doesn´t the ability have to be able to resolve?

Nope. In fact, I think the main purpose of Hallucination, in MonoBlue, is specifically to pop enemy illusions, usually by hitting normal units with two Hallucinations in the same turn, or having Dreamscape in play.

1 Like

Its main purpose is more likely to make friendly non illusions benefit from macciatus, but yea, hallucination, as a single card, does absolutely nothing. A completely pur combo card. I would challenge you to identify any other card in codex which REQUIRES another card be in play or be played in order to have any effect whatsoever. Plenty of cards are stronger when combined, but hallucination legit does nothing by itself.

Time Spiral

There are lots of cards that work with Time Spiral, and you can reliably use Prynn.

Ehhh, 2 Heroes can benefit from casting that spell directly. I concede the point, but offer time spiral is far more easy to combo, including with heroes and tech 0s, any one of which is always available to combo with it. Hallucination just pisses me off in its extremely narrow design.

So what is the explanation that Hallucination cannot target an Illusion? Because it has no effect in this case whatsoever? I would like to know the rules mechanic to understand it? Thanks in advance :pray: :slightly_smiling_face:

You can play spells that have no legal targets, and you can play spells that can’t perform some or all of their effects. E.g. you could cast Hallucination where there are no units in play and trigger Harmony to get a Dancer token, or you could cast Martial Mastery with no cards in hand, fail to discard a card, and then draw 2 cards.

1 Like

Oh, it can target Illusions. I meant “Nope” in response to whether the ability has to be able to resolve. Sorry, I just realised that reply was ambiguous.

I see. But now I´m even more confused: I always thought that you can only play a spell or ability if at last a part of it is resovable. Where can I find the hint that you can also play them without legal targets?

So the entry in the unofficial manual rewrite:

“[…] If a spell or ability tells you to do multiple things, you can play it as long as you can do one of those things.”

is wrong then, right?

I can play a spell or ability just to for a meta-effect. Is that correct?

Yeah, if that’s the case then the rewrite is wrong. Generally speaking, Codex works on “do as much as you can”, and there’s nothing stopping that from being “do nothing”.

1 Like

Another question that, if Nekoatl is right, I also had wrong in my memory: If I go to max level with Max Geiger and I trash a unit with Forecast that is already in play: does it return to play with its “arriving” runes again? I always thought that “return to play” means that it will return to play and not into the future zone?

It returns as a new instance, so it has to be forecast again.

So the future zone is also “in play”? Oh man, I was learning some things wrong :thinking:

Ah. No, it’s not counted as in play. I can see how the wording is confusing there.

What happens is forecast interrupts a card’s attempt to enter play, instead sending it to the future zone, and it does that by any method of entering play from anywhere, except for entering play from the future when the last time rune is removed.

3 Likes

Thank you guys. Still a lot to learn :pray: :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Question: does second chance activates on prynn maxband?

Assuming the conditions to trigger Second Chances apply, then yes, when Prynn trashes a unit, it is leaving play by a means other than combat damage, and Second Chances returns it to play.

I assume that when she tries to return it to play, and it’s no longer trashed, that attempt just fizzles, as the alternative would be very confusing.

2 Likes

Yea, it just fizzles, its like trying to return a token, it isnt there.

2 Likes