Powerup question

It doesn’t usually help, because in most matchups (I think) Sets doesn’t really want to draw A after Speed of the Fox, so she’d rather take one out of her deck than pick up one of the ones she powered up. I guess if you’re playing against a Menelker who has for some reason 10ed 2 of your As?

ETA: The online bit can benefit Sets though, because she can e.g. power up two pairs, then power up the fetched Aces to trigger her innate.

2 Likes

Hmm, I’m not sure if I agree with this. Often when I’m playing Setsuki, I want to avoid seeing an Ace for as long as possible, due to more powerup trick plays: the rule which allows you to “empty power up” as long as no aces are in your discard. I suppose this doesn’t matter if you’re already powering up aces though.

Still, if you are left with a single ace in hand, it’s better to have AA ender because that’s really good combo damage for her, much preferable to single A which is a dead card only useful as a pumper in a combo. So maybe you do want to draw a second ace from deck.

2 Likes

I’m not a Sets player, so I’m sure you’re right. I think I’m remembering that from a strategy article when Yomi v1 was a thing, so it’s probably no longer true (if it ever was).

Yes so, to make it totally clear, this is how powerup is supposed to work:
You discard as many pairs/triples/quads as you want.
Then, you get as many aces as you are entitled to (including aces earned from chain combos (but not aces from Jokers, which are fetched immediately)).
Then powerup phase is over.

In the online version, it is instead coded that you discard your pairs/triples/quads and then immediately fetch the aces for each, which has been ruled as incorrect.

This whole issue came to light because of EX characters powerup scamming, as mentioned earlier, where Sirlin mentioned that the online rules were incorrect.

“up to as many”, with the proviso that you can only stop getting aces when there are none left in your discard.

2 Likes

I disagree. A Setsuki player might want to change their hand from 88A to A during powerup.

1 Like

Fair enough, but if you don’t have any aces in your discard already that isn’t needed (since you can choose not to get any from your deck). It’s definitely most useful for Lum, and occasionally for Setsuki in very specific situations.