Poll: Tournament Planning (UPDATED!)

Hey, all! So, we’ve got IYL coming up, and the ever-present forum weeklies. But I also have a bunch of other tournaments I think it would be fun to revive. So, poll time: how many tournament games are you willing to schedule a week?

• 1 per week
  • 2 per week
  • 3 per week
  • Give me all the Yomis!

0 voters

I voted 2 - I wouldn’t mind scheduling more on some weeks, but when a busy week comes up it’s good to have a bit of leeway.

Incidentally, since you voted for the same rather moderate option yourself - isn’t the simplest solution just to arrange as many tournaments as you’re willing/have time to participate in yourself?

With the AutoTO tools I’ve built, it’s actually pretty low effort for me to run a challonge-based tournament. It takes less time to TO than to schedule and play a match myself. So, if there’s appetite for more tournaments, I’m happy to run then, even if I’m not playing.

3 Likes

Ok, next question: What tournament do you want to see next? I’d plan on starting it sometime around the end of march, once ABC1 is down to 4ish playesr.

Late March Tournament Format

• Lum’s Long Odds - points-per-win based on matchup difficulty
  • Lum’s Lucky Lottery - randomize your characters
  • A Balanced Clash - Only the most even of matchups will do
  • Persephone’s Pick Your Poison - A selection of balanced and unbalanced matches
  • Single Character Showdown - (if @snoc agrees) Show of your mirror-match skills
  • Fast Timer - Crunch-time Yomi (unlike @neigutten’s series, I would still run this as a weekly format)

0 voters

If there’s a different format you want to see run, let me know!

1 Like

I was planning to run another SCS SoonTM when my workload lightens off a bit and I can find a gap in the tournament schedule. If you want to take over running it, that’s fine, but I’m equally happy to pick up the slack in a month or two.

1 Like

Either way works for me. At this point, running a tournament is a pretty light load for me (yay tools!). But if you want to keep running those, I’m sure there are others to run, and SCS can slot in when you have more time.

1 Like

What about this for a tournament idea: it’s all mirror matches. Loser gets to pick the mirror match to play. First match decided via random select, or by the lower seed or something?

2 Likes

That sounds incredibly stupid. :smiley: Not sure if it’s the good or bad kind of stupid yet.

1 Like

I’d run it (but the bar a tournament has to jump over for me to run it is pretty darn low)

3 Likes

Yay for more tournaments!

All the Yomis!

Quince’s mirror mashup maybe?

1 Like

I keep waiting for @snoc to come up for air and run the next mirror match tournament… but maybe I’ll run Mixed Mirror Mayhem in the meantime. (Now I’ve got a name… definitely need to run it)

1 Like

Ok, I think I’m going to start trying to start one tournament a month, on a regularish date. Next up is June 16, when I’ll be starting Mirror Match Mayhem (expect a signup post shortly).

For July, I’m opening up the format to the viewing public:

0 voters

Voting on this will close on June 16 (at which point I’ll close the signup thread for June, and open a thread for July)

2 Likes

For my own reference:

[poll type=multiple results=always min=1 max=3 public=true]
* A Balanced Clash
* Persephone's Pick Your Poison
* Mirror Match Mayhem
* Yomi Crunch (Fast Timer)
* Lum's Long Odds
* Lum's Lucky Lottery
* Balance Team Battle (http://forums.sirlingames.com/t/balance-team-battle-tournament-idea/6066/42)
* Round and Round It Goes (http://forums.sirlingames.com/t/yomi-tournaments-ideas-sharing/5713/25?u=vengefulpickle)
* Take This Challenge (http://forums.sirlingames.com/t/yomi-tournaments-ideas-sharing/5713/2?u=vengefulpickle)
* Forever Double-Blind
[/poll]

Ok, signups are open for Balance Team Battle (starting 7/28), so voting is open for the next tournament.

Also, voting is open for tournament timing.

September Tournament

0 voters

How often should I run tournaments?

• Monthly (roughly the beginning of the month)
  • Twice a month (beginning and middle of the month)

0 voters

August is upon us, so it’s time to start planning October! A Halloween-themed tournament?

0 voters

Oops! It’s almost time for the October tournament to start (and November signups, as well), and I don’t even know what I should be making a signup for!

0 voters

2 Likes

This is for November, right? Since October is Round and Round?

Yup. Edited for clarity.

2 Likes