More Fighting Card Games

Posted my review to bgg today. Will repost with a link once it’s up. The final review is pretty trimmed down. It’s around 3-4 pages on a word doc. The first pass of the review was 13 pages and it wasn’t even done yet, lol. I thought no one would read that so chopped it down to the stuff I thought was most important.

Finally got to play EXCEED recently, I really really enjoyed it. Felt like a mix of Magic and fighting games, and it felt very distinct from Yomi. Lots of fun stuff to manage, and very distinctive characters. (I think I played Season 2 PnP?)

1 Like

My Way of the Fighter review is finally up:

WotF Review

This is the exact way I feel about EXCEED as well. I’m hoping the balance is better in season 2 which was the main negative of season 1.

4 Likes

Has anybody played Sakura Arms and have thoughts on it? I just picked it up a couple weeks ago. I’ve only played it a handful of times and only played the characters they recommend starting with, but it seems like it has a lot of potential.

2 Likes

Just ordered it. I’ll let you know what I think once I’ve had a chance to play a handful of games. I’d be interested to hear your thoughts on the game.

1 Like

I really like the resource system it has, where resources are basically just converted to other resources as they are spent, with distance being a resource pool shared among both players. It’s such an elegant system and the way it encourages gameplay feels so organic. From a design perspective, I like that you are rewarded for moving forward, and you have to pay to move backward. It gets players into the action and having unequal payoffs for movement is interesting.

The game has an “any card can be discarded to do generic action X” mechanic, which I’ve always been a fan of (like workering a card in Codex, or committing cards to skill tests in Arkham Horror LCG, etc). It mitigates hand/deck variance and is very skill-testing, as you need to know which card is the best to discard.

I’m excited to try it out more. Also, Shinra seems like this game’s Argagarg, so I’m excited to build a deck with her.

4 Likes

Yes, but only on Tabletop Simulator where awesome dude @lowtierhero uploaded/translated it.

Its a pretty fun system to theory craft and such, but IDK if its for me. Umbrella Lady is fun. Shinra is pretty difficult, but one of my theory crafted deck uses her and White to do direct damage with her reverse shield/health enchantment.

I picked up the first season of EXCEED when the season 2 stuff was happening and I’ve played casually with a few friends and had a decent bit of fun with what I played. I didn’t look up competitive stuff for it though how did the first season actually end up shaping up in regards to balance and stuff like that?

1 Like

I’m no expert by any means but here’s what I’ve discovered about balance:

Alice is S tier and is actually banned from official competitive play. Alice is the worst offender towards balance.

Top Tier - Morathi, Zoey

Mid Tier - Reese, Heidi, Kaden, Miska, Lily, Ulrik

Bottom Tier - Nehtali, Vincent, Eva, Baelkhor, Gabrek

I’m not sure about Satoshi and MeiLien though I’ve heard some say MeiLien is top tier. I’ve also heard some say that Heidi is top tier and that Miska is low tier.

The general problem with the low tiers is that they require too much set up to get going. I think Eva is the worst character of the set and it takes an absurd amount of cards to get her specials even with other fighters. The stars also have to align to keep her set up in play. The opponent can pretty effectively wipe out her build up with low risk to them unless she has one of her cards in hand to keep boosts in play. In Nehtali’s case she is built around her Ultras but if some one has a way to outspeed Hell’s Salvation she is in a tough spot. Her UA is also pretty bad and with a terrible EXCEED side on top of that.

Morathi is like EXCEED’s Zane. He just gets free cards with way too much hit confirm and hits like a truck. Zoey can just spam fast attacks and if you don’t have a way to deal with that she can run you over.

Since lvl99 games has no intention of patching characters hopefully they took the lessons learned from what makes a character too powerful and what is the correct amount of build up to make build up characters work.

Edit: forgot about the three promos. Don’t have much experience with them but I’ve heard that both Juno and Devris are top tier. Skullman is unknown to me but looking at his cards he seems midtier at best.

1 Like

Any one else see the Street Fighter miniatures game on Kickstarter? here’s a link

I’m always tempted by these kinds of games but this one is the most pricey of the bunch which conflicts greatly with a newish hobby I’ve gotten into that is also quite pricey.

Even if it were $60 or so I’d still be on the fence. Haven’t watched a ton of game play footage, in part because it is shot in a really goofy manner, but some things stand out that I don’t like.

I don’t get the “bait” cards. Unless I’m missing something (wouldn’t be the first time, in this thread alone) they seem to be a heads I win, tails you lose kind of thing. I’m not seeing the counter play to “bait cards”.

The game seems designed for >2 players. The board is really large for 1v1 games. In these 1v1 games it seems to have forced play (which I hate) where you have to move in to start being able to do anything with any character.

Edit: Also Jasco

Any one have any thoughts on this?

Yeah, I’m not really tempted by it. Minis are a turn-off for me.

3 Likes

Yeah makes sense. Would be a heck of a lot cheaper if it didn’t have huge prepainted minis. Would take up much less space too.

Another thing with these types of games is much of the game hinges on the card play and they haven’t shown off the different characters cards yet.

1 Like

battlecon online is online. lol

1 Like

I did not do the Street Fighter Miniature game. I wanted to, but there was too many unknowns, possibly a massively long wait, and also other upcomming Kickstarters such as the new Devastation Remastered.

So another fighting card game is out in the wild:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/plotmakergames/combo-fighter?ref=nav_search&result=project&term=Combo%20fighter

It doesn’t look good. Seems to be about as close as you can get to actual RPS without being RPS. There’s three options: Attack, Block, Footwork with each fighter favoring one of these options. Some fighters are faster than others, for attack clashes this matters. A win with any option leads to the same result, a combo. Block and footwork deal no damage on a reveal win but can combo into damage. Your deck is your health, a mechanic I’m not a huge fan of, and 4 card combos seem to deal around 8 damage so the game seems to keep health totals artificially close. At the end of the turn you draw back up to 5 cards so hand management isn’t much of a thing in this game. Each of the fighters does have a different distribution of the options.

It’s hard to get a good sense for it because the only game play footage they have available at the moment is from two people that aren’t very familiar/good at the game so they may be giving it a much more “this is just RPS” feel to it than it deserves. Not sure why game companies never put out a video of experienced players playing the game (especially when it comes to 1v1 games).

I think Exceed broke the fighting analog game world. Ever since that game game out the fighting board/card games have been/looked mediocre to bad. The only reason I’m tempted is because I have an interest in trying all the games in this genre out and giving reviews at some point.

3 Likes

I’d imagine that always drawing into a 5 card hand encourages hand management because every card you draw effectively deals damage to you, unless health is so high that drawing 1-3 extra cards just isn’t that significant?

There’s some interesting discussion going on for this game on BGG that goes over some of this. There definitely appears to be hand management but I wouldn’t put it on the same level of even a character like Setsuki.

1 Like

Has anyone played Bushido?

I finally picked up a copy of this, and it seems forum playable. Does anyone want to try a round?