[MMM1] GAME 3: P1 White (FrozenStorm) vs P2 Blue (Akiata)

I’ll have to concede the game there - well played! I thought perhaps with Grave out first and a reasonable opening hand Blue stood a better chance of getting to Tech II intact, but it didn’t end up happening. Really tough to disrupt White’s development.

1 Like

White P1 is definitely difficult to stymie. I’ll start another game tonight or tomorrow, GG WP!

1 Like

Just for the purposes of learning for next game, I think this is where the game went wrong for you; Bigby + MTruth here was not worth a Bird kill (that respawns) and 2 damage on Rook. One of two different things should have been your play here IMO:

1. Kill Rook with Aven → BK transform + Musketeer. You lose Aven and give me a card, but you totally stunt my pressure and I lose Bird respawns.
  2. Skip TD, MTruth, and Bigby, and tech up. Patrol BK SQL and Musketeer techn, hold Aven back. Sure I’m probably going to setup the tech2 for death on time, but you can use it as a feint and pull a Free Speech or Injunction or Community Service trick play, and now the tech 2 is done.

This was too easy for me to hit back at and you completely dumped cards to do it, wasn’t efficient enough to justify doing so.

1 Like

Thanks for the analysis - useful to work through some of these decisions in more detail.

• Honestly, I think I overlooked the possibility of using MTruth to turn Aven into BK.
  • And yep, killing Rook is definitely a good idea.
  • I have been avoiding voluntarily giving up Aven because it’s basically the only way to stop the Birds. Elite Training is an option, but I haven’t teched it because I’ve struggled to have two units out to cast it on.
  • And with Safe Attacking, Sensei’s Advice (and the possibility of Aged Sensei and Sparring Partner), the versatility the Birds bring in how White can distribute damage is pretty threatening. As you say, too easy for you to hit back. So my thinking is to attack that versatility.
  • Also, all those buffs make the birds actually pretty tough to take down as well. Like, I think there’d be time to basically get Rook out again and re-cast Bird’s Nest out before I could counter the birds, with Aven in the discard pile.
  • Hmm, yeah, that’s a pretty good shout. I was worried about both Grave’s maxband and Rook’s midband allowing for an instant tech break, but you’d have been $1 short of that.

In both cases I’ve missed some nuances that could have helped. I appreciate the ideas - sorely needed!

Remember you can elite training onimaru too. Makes him harder to kill and hits birds

3 Likes

Ah, another nuance I had not considered. Ta!

1 Like