Is there any interest in a Codex pbf tournament with Map cards?

I suppose since it’s casual, then there is no harm in allowing deck switching in-between rounds. But instead of trying to optimize your favorite deck/colors to work on any given map, people will be brainstorming the perfect deck for the map they got. Either way, I’d just like to see all the maps get used and different strategies harnessed with them :wink:

Yeah I agree @NikoBolas, since its obviously a casual touranment I like the idea of seeing what crazy combos people come up with. The getting facewrecked by some absurd combo is at least entertaining to see!

1 Like

Hmm, if we can change decks to suit the map, maybe it would be more fun if everyone in the tournament played on the same map each round? Players could submit deck choice in secret and then we would see a lot of variation between approaching different maps! To turn up the chaos even more, maybe make each round have 2 games, so you get a chance as P1 and P2 on each map? No need for a third game, since this is casual. Also if the games are really short then 2 games wouldn’t be so time consuming.

5 Likes

100% that. What I’d do is:

• Each week Tuesday, the following Week’s Map(s plural if doing RACE style) and matchup(s) pairings (including P1/2 position) are announced
  • Players have until the monday following to submit their deck choice (for each match if multiples) privately to Organizer (I would volunteer if I wasn’t moving this month, maybe if we start in May I can do it)
  • On Monday, matches start and are expected to be finished in a week, with a reasonable allotment of a second week of grace as circumstances necessitate (similar to CAPS)
  • Pairings are “roughly” Swiss-ed out (or should we do RACE style and have pools / multiple games at once?)
  • After 8-10 maps get played, make a cut for single elim
3 Likes

If you want to use all 14 maps, that would be a long time. Maybe split it out into separate events?

If you do round-robin pool(s) with 4-6 players, you can announce the first 3-5 maps, and have everyone submit which squad they’ll be using on each map, then determine and post all the pairings.

3 Likes

Your organizational wisdom is greatly appreciated!

How about a vote then? Which should be the 5 maps to play on?

http://codexcarddb.com/maps

• “Fury Road”: “Players can only have one patroller at a time.”
  • "Flagstone Mines"n: “Players can hire any number of workers per turn.”
  • "Big Game Hunters"n: “Each player gets an extra [2 gold] during each of their upkeeps.”
  • “Hard Times Mill”: “Workers cost an extra [1 gold] to hire.”
  • “No Rush 15 Minutes”: “Prevent all damage until after each player has taken 4 turns.”
  • “Daggerfall Prison Camp” : “Hiring workers doesn’t cost a card. (Track how many workers you have some other way.)”
  • “Mystical Forest”: “Whenever you would ready a unit or hero during your turn, you may put a +1/+1 rune on it instead.”
  • “Burial Grounds”: “Whenever a hero dies, it’s gone forever this game.”
  • “Pinnacle” “Heroes can cast ultimate spells even if they aren’t max level and even if they arrived that turn. Dead heroes must wait an extra turn to be resummoned.”
  • “Vortoss Ruins” “Players can’t build the heroes’ hall or tech lab add-ons, but automatically get their effects.”
  • “Bloodbowl”: “All units have +1 ATK and haste.”
  • “Lost Temple”: “Players ignore all tech building requirements and don’t need heroes to cast spells.”

0 voters

4 Likes

Nice idea with the poll!

Interesting to see what the least popular ones are. I’d have expected Lost Temple (“MtG Mode”) to be more popular.

I’m totally interested in this. I want to see what the maps can do.

1 Like

So, I notice there don’t seem to be any clarifications on the map cards, so certain things might need ad hoc rulings (or not, I haven’t looked). In particular, I’m wondering about Blackhand Resurrector. It can ignore the normal hero cooldown period, so I assume it could ignore the Pinnacle cooldown period as well, but what about burial ground? Does that ability trump BR’s, or is it basically considered to have a cooldown period of “forever”?

Lost temple just leads to turn 3 massive plays where the best tech 3 combo wins.

2 Likes

Blackhand resurrector can summon a hero, even if they are dead forever, at least that is my take on it.

3 Likes

I would agree. I don’t think a slight boost to Necro Tech II is out of line.

1 Like

It is less about a boost and more that cards text always Trump’s general rules.

Yeah, if Necromancy can’t raise the truly dead, then what good is it?

I tried to pick ones that had trade-offs that make you think more about how you play, without being universally negative or positive.

2 Likes

I forsee a lot of Green starter for both of the top two on the list. Does rich earth fully negate the cost of Hard Times mill, or is the additional cost tracked separately (kind of like resistance)?

Edit: Since results are still coming in, I should clarify that at the time of posting the top two results were Hard Times Mill and Flagstone Mines

Interesting. I always viewed Burial Grounds’ text as functionally “trashing” a hero when they die, so Resurrector has no card to bring back.

1 Like

I would imagine that the “extra” effect is applied last, after the rest of the cost effects are resolved. So Rich Earth reduces worker cost to 0, then Hard Times Mill adds one “extra” to the final cost. That seems like the intention and the ‘free’ wording on RE is probably just for simplicity’s sake.

3 Likes

That would be my instinct as well.

I think Sirlin had a ruling on this at some point, it sounds reallllly familiar. In that Rich Earth ends being a -1 discount on workers, rather than ‘free’.