Guide / Overview to Flagstone Dominion! [wall-of-text]

Out of curiosity, have you read the articles on sirlin.net about writing? Even though I’m a fairly good writer already, I found them helpful. They might give you some ideas about what you can cut out to make it better.

I am about halfway through editing it, and I am getting a renewed respect for both Mind Control spell from Quince and Community Service from Bigby.

Maybe especially Community Service. If Thieving Imp is costed at 3 gold, when a 2/2 is probably not worth more than 1,75 Gold the discard ability is probably valued at around 1,25 gold. Community Service lets you “discard” a card from your opponents hand, and where Thieving Imp discards one at random, Community Service “discards” the best unit in your opponents hand instead.

Lawful Search is costed at 1 gold, but you also get to cycle the card, so just looking at your opponents hand is possibly only valued at around 0,5 gold or 0,75 gold, depending on how much a cycle is worth.

So having this card only cost 5 gold is bonkers value. So, as long as your opponent has a 3 gold unit in hand, you are probably coming out ahead here.

2 Likes

Just keep in mind that the “true” cost of Community Service is usually 6 (to account for Lawful Search). Because if you cast it blind and it misses YOU WILL LOSE THE GAME!

2 Likes

valueing resource deprivation of your opponent is difficult. I think Pillage is often underestimated because of it.

1 Like

Not necessarily. I once almost won a game (on the old forum) in which I missed twice. The third miss did me in, though.

4 Likes

lol jesus christ

1 Like

Of course you want to have Lawful Search with it, but even without it, you are getting a lot of value out of it. Not only is it actively stopping them from developing a board, but removing their best unit from their hand to improve your own board, but they don’t want to invest more into the board to deal with whatever you stole, because going down on handsize is such a liability.

Of course, what you are saying is that if they don’t have a unit for you to steal, you are in deep doo doo. Which brings out a weakness in Blue that I am thinking can be more severe than I first thought; Blue has a hard time dealing with heroes. Free Speech is all well and good, but you only have 2 copies of it, and heroes can still deal damage without abilities.

3 Likes

Yeah. Blue MUST deal with Heroes using the board, or by locking down their opponents’ Heroes Hall and Tech II/III buildings.

2 Likes

Game starts here:

QM: Bbo199: Setsy + Zane & Drakk vs. EricF: Biggy, Quonce, Troq

Note that he switched to Cala / Arg / Drakk.

1 Like

Ok, for the ones who are interested in this, I updated the Summary 2 and 3 with my final draft. Unless someone gives me some feedback on questionable things, this is what I am going out with ^^

Whoa, Community Service doesn’t hit Tech 0 units!? I had not realized that. I wonder why the card ended up with the text the way it is. Is Community Service somehow too good if it can hit Tech 0 units?

Uses jargon word “spec” - maybe re-word as: “There are thousands of possible character combinations,”

Seems repetitive. It sounds like you have a couple of interlocking points:

1. Your early game is not as strong as other factions
    a. your units are smaller,
    b. 2 of your 3 heros are not combat oriented
    therefore
    a. your early defense will be fragile, and not forgiving of mistakes
    b. you can’t establish control in the early game

Maybe present it like that, with the conclusions and reasons clearly separated? I’m not sure what the best or most comfortable order for saying those things is.

2 Likes

I think the primary reason is to avoid using the phrase “non-Tech III unit” anywhere, due to ambiguity (do you mean unit that is not Tech III or any card that is not a Tech III unit?) and other style considerations. So, to affect Tech 0 units, you would have to say “Tech 0, Tech I, or Tech II unit” and since you will rarely want to grab a Tech 0 unit, it could be dropped for wordiness reasons.

The rulebook talks about specs on page 11, when talking about spells, and on page 12, when describing Tech and Add-Ons. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to use the term.

It’s like three extra characters. See Mind Control, for instance. There’s plenty of room for those characters on Community Service.

That is exellent feedback :smiley: even in my mothertongue I have that kind of scrambled together type of writing as I eluded to earlier. I bet there could be edits like these all over the article. Maybe it is possible to make it into a wiki of sorts, so that others can edit it if they like?

I believe so! Maybe it wouldn’t have ended up being to good in an evolving metagame, but it would at least be a strong opening. Turn 3 discard the best unit from your opponents hand and play it for your own patrol? I believe that would have been a very dominant opening for Blue if it could steal tech 0 units.

You seemed to kind of gloss over Tax Collector taking one gold away from your opponent. To me paying 1 and forcing the opponent to pay 1 is pretty much the same as paying 0, but you talk about it as just a 2/3 for 1, shrugging off the disruptive effect. I mean, I still don’t like the card much and am not sure if I’ve ever teched it, but thinking of it as a conditional Cadet with an extra hp makes it sound much better and imo is a fair description.

Insurance Agent can insure your opponent’s units. I’d say it’s more common to insure a unit you’re just about to kill than a unit you’re just about to suicide (though if you’re going to trade anyway and your unit costs more obviously you pick that one).

4 Likes

Well, I do say that if you are able to steal a gold from your opponent it can be devastating.

1 Like

Forgive my mumbling! But there is now a video!

2 Likes