[FINISHED] IYL6 Playoffs - Road to the Yomi Bowl!

Quarterfinals
FenixOfTheAshes vs. CKR
Saturday June 23rd, 2300 UTC (6/23, 7:00pm EDT)

2 Likes

CKR over @FenixOfTheAshes 4-3

:geiger: > :troq:
:geiger: > :menelker:
:geiger: < :zane:
:troq: > :zane:
:troq: < :geiger:
:zane: < :geiger:
:zane: > :geiger:

ggs.

3 Likes

Hoo boy this was a stressful set! I came in mentally prepared for a full set of Troq-Zane since CKR had 3-0ā€™d me in it during pools and heā€™s on such a hot Zane streak, but he pulled out Geiger and demonstrated a willingness to ride the 20XX carousel. No more Mr. Nice CKR!

Game 1 was something else! I think I played it pretty poorly to be honest, especially in the endgame. This is the game I regret the most and think I could have played better. Even still, it was quite close. The highlight was when I landed a wake-up 10-throw (!) against CKRā€™s dodge, putting us both under 10 hp. @cpat sounded utterly dumbfounded :smiley:

So in Game 2 I had a choice between Menelker and Zane for my CP, I feel both are about equally adv. mus. It was clear to me from his initial Geiger pick that CKR was settled in for a 20XX carousel, so I decided to throw a curveball of my own. My reasons were 1) CKR is intimately familiar with Zane (best active Zane? probably tbh) so that gives him an edge, 2) he probably wouldnā€™t be expecting Menelker or have as much experience with the char, and 3) I donā€™t mind Menelker-Zane (Zane being his likely CP if I beat Geiger) as much as some other players seem to. In any case, nothing really came together for me in that game. I was fishing pretty hard for specific things, and CKR probably sniffed that out.

Game 3: I brought out Zane and landed MA (3 silent Aces I think? lol)

Game 4: I missed MA (2 silent Aces I think?)

Game 5 & 6: I donā€™t remember these very well but I assume I did Geiger things. Comeback was looking pretty real!

Game 7: Of course it would come down to the final game. CKR threatened MA and then just kept throwing me. This is the other game I regret and think I could have won with better (read: braver) play.

All in all, itā€™s frustrating to be eliminated in such a close set, but it was certainly one hell of a match and CKR earned the win. @CKR, you better take the whole thing now so we can complain to future generations about how our IYL6 division had 4 IYL champions in it! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I did not plan on taking the full ride on the carousel. I wanted to give myself the best chance possible win game 1. The plan was to come back to Zane after my first loss. Your Menelker CP fit perfectly for what I wanted to do. However, I won the Geiger/Mene match and you switched to Zane. After losing, my choice was the mirror or to play the other side of the Troq/Zane match. I hate mirrors, so I chose the latter. Finally, I ended up with Zane when you locked yourself into Geiger for the remainder of the match.

It was a pretty good match. I think that both of us were a little too conservative on KD. For me the moment that stands out was when I had Geiger chip lethal with AA. I dodged the phantom joker that I think you immediately topdecked to burst on the next turn. In the final match, I decided that I was going to turn Zane KD situations from 50/50 on block to 100/0 on block. It worked. GGs.

3 Likes

Southpaw Hare vs @Fivec

:rook: :pschip::psfist: :setsuki:
:gwen: :pschip::psfist: :setsuki:
:gwen: :psfist::pschip: :setsuki: :psgem: 2 HP victory :psgem:
:gwen: :psfist::pschip: :setsuki:

Southpaw Hare 4 - 2 Fivec
Southpaw Hare wins!

This is a big deal for me since good Setsuki mains are my personal demons. Looks like I finally found a possible counterpick. Hashtag Gwen Meta. :chibigwen::chibigwen::chibigwen::chibigwen::chibigwen:

9 Likes

That was my last Yomi tournament match, I think. Something I decided well before IYL round robin was over, so nothing about that set in particular.

Ggs, everybody. Peace.

14 Likes

mysticjuicer 4 - 3 sharpobject

:troq: :psfist: :pschip: :gloria:
:troq: :pschip: :psfist: :geiger:
:troq: :psfist: :pschip: :geiger:

ggs man, really intense set

7 Likes

Quarterfinals
Caralad vs. SouthpawHare
Tuesday June 26th, 2330 UTC (6/26, 7:30pm EDT)

2 Likes

Quarterfinals
MR75 vs. mysticjuicer
Sunday July 1st, 1500 UTC (7/1, 11:00am EDT)

2 Likes

Caralad vs @SouthpawHare

MJ recorded it, so spoiler tags for those who donā€™t want to see just yet.

Hidden for spoilers

:valerie: :psfist: :pschip: :rook:
:valerie: :pschip: :psfist: :gwen:
:troq: :pschip: :psfist: :gwen:
:troq: :psfist: :pschip: :gwen:
:troq: :psfist: :pschip: :bbb:
:troq: :pschip: :psfist: :bbb:
:zane: :psfist: :pschip: :bbb:

Moral of the story. Play scared, get bopped.

EDIT: I mean that to say when i played scared, i got bopped. Not in any way a comment on SPH.

5 Likes

MR vs @mysticjuicer

:grave::pschip::psfist::troq:
Gotta smashed, beast was unleashedā€¦

:grave::psfist::pschip::troq:
Good cards for me here. Q hit beast unleashed

We stayed at around 40hp each, for looong time, then BU was blue bursted and while grave was on lifelead, with 5 cards left, TPoS outspeeded his Q

Another long game. I burned one Joker, but blue bursted BU with the other one, than at 17hp vs 35hp, again TPoS outspeeded AA.

Here I got a great start. t1, 2345, t2 5ā€“>TPoS. Then he slammed me around but I finally hit him.

I think I got some great draws and lady luck stayed by my side almost all set, but hey, this is a part of the game!

Respect and GGs!

11 Likes

Canā€™t say I wasnā€™t disappointed with my play and the way the last three games went in particular. In both the third and fourth game, TPoS caught me with no blocks in hand on KD, and early TPoS in the final game was unfortunate. At the end of the day, you played better than I did. Well deserved win, and Iā€™ll be looking for a rematch as soon as possible. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Bomber678 4-1 copper8642

:rook::pschip::pscrash::menelker: I wanted to start one game down, to see what the tension felt like.
:grave::pscrash::pschip::menelker: I played some cards and he played some cards and then we sort of played a few cards then he died.
:grave::pscrash::pschip::menelker: I did some stuff then I killed him with tpos.
:grave::pscrash::pschip::menelker: I hit him with the phat turn 1 straight, then he blew his whole load real early in a big combo so I killed him with tpos.
:grave::pscrash::pschip::menelker: I made a mistake and discarded a joker cause I canā€™t read cards but it was all a bait and I killed him with tpos.

Guys I swear Iā€™m a rook main. I just uhhhh sub grave too.

GGs copper my dude. Iā€™ll know in the future never to play zane against you.

10 Likes

Semifinals
Caralad vs. MR75
Sunday July 8th, 1900 UTC (7/8, 3:00pm EDT)

3 Likes

Semifinals
CKR vs. Bomber678
Thursday July 5th, 0030 UTC (7/4, 8:30pm EDT)

3 Likes

CKR over @Bryce_The_Rice 4-0

:zane: > :rook:
:zane: > :grave:
:zane: > :troq:
:zane: > :zane:

ggs.

Quick Summary:

Sometimes you win alot of combats.

7 Likes

I started the IYL in 2014 or was it 2015. I really liked the idea. I am glad that others have picked up the ball to keep it running. Now, I have a legitimate chance to win it. Man, that feels great.

Historically, I made deep runs in tournaments and screwed up every time. This will be my first time in grand finals (not counting single day tournaments). I am very happy.

This is a game about continual improvement and continual setbacks. That is why I love it. It is freakin hard to win. I hope we can keep this community going into the indefinite future. You can wish me luck or root against me. Either way, it is a good day.

15 Likes

Pshaw! You make it look easy

5 Likes

MR vs @Caralad 4-3

:grave::knockdown::knockdown::troq:

I still cannot believe it!
Some comments will be added soon.

Respect ad GGs!

11 Likes

YOMI BOWL VI
MR75 vs. CKR
Sunday July 15th, 1900 UTC (7/15, 3pm EDT)

EDIT: Apparently itā€™s July

5 Likes