Fighting control

Ven did come to my mind as an off brand cp. Recurring attack that undercuts PM, high damage, his own advantage time loop, six get out of spin free cards. I imagine the strategy is to pressure Quince early, not letting him build up a hand, deal as much damage as possible quickly while keeping enough anti-spin options in hand. Would love to hear about more nuances I haven’t thought of for that mu when you have time to write it, Johnny.

4 Likes

I HATE that matchup but it does require the vendetta to know what he’s doing. Not an easy cp but it’s effective.

2 Likes

I’m currently playing Rook, Lum, and Gwen.

3 Likes

Lum is one of the characters I’m awful at. Looking at it on paper I don’t think he’s favored against Geiger, Quince or Perse? Probably Evenish with Geiger/Quince? Unsure on Perse.

Rook probably wins versus Perse just by having advantage on Throw/Blodge that she likes to play for her vortex… but its also miserable and long and grindy. (5.25?) Quince Rook is pretty evenish. The advice Juicer gave is probably the best you’re going to get. Playing Rook into Geiger requires really strong play. Its probably the hardest rook counter in the game even though the BBB matchup is a lot easier to play BBB side.

Gwen destroys Persephone by just doing Gwen things. Its really hard for Perse to hardlock her. You just have to respect AA, Q sometimes. She also looks like your best bet versus Geiger since she undercuts 2.4 so well + she has the most fuel to keep him from building. Unsure on the matchup number, but if you do Gwen things its pretty winnable (5.5?). Just kill him before he builds aces and stuff since he has good reversals. King knocking down is really annoying for Gwen. The Quince matchup looks disadvantaged on paper, but J does work if it lands and is a good speed versus Quince. The issue is that Quince has so much reward and just outspeeding him isn’t enough. J spins are automatically +2 damage if Quince plays honestly. AA is also 1.2 which is Gwen’s weakness.

3 Likes

I had many probs vs quince when i started, i even found him to be op. Now, let’s set aside your preferences. The best way to understand how to beat a control char is to play them. Practice using Persephone, Quince, and Geiger against bots or ppl, maybe in survival mode so the increasing diff and diminishing hp can help you get used to many scenarios.
Persephone is tilting, but her hands is often known (hence predictable) needs to keep the KD loop which requires powering up for A’s so she’s usually card hungry and dmg inefficient (unless you let her and she is lucky). Quince too is card hungry, his spins are confusing but outside mind games he is a slowpoke. Save jokers for blue bursts.
Geiger is a top tier char and is another story. My advice vs him is to play with your best char, avoid spamming attacks once he gets to 9 cards (if he starts pu for aces things gets bad and jokers are irrelevant during TD) and don’t be afraid to throw.

5 Likes

Geiger may have one of the strongest endgames in Yomi and ways to consistently assemble its pieces, but in exchange he has inefficient throws, a nonthreatening neutral game, and no option that deals high damage from very fast speeds.

Wait.

5 Likes

is this sarcasm?

honestly, the boring try-hard answer is just play geiger against quince and they need to win 15 combats to kill you and you need to win 3. It is probably the most lop-sided matchup in the entire game if the geiger plays it correctly, which actually isn’t easy.

3 Likes

Perish the thought!

Yeah.

3 Likes

I don’t doubt that. But interestingly, vengefulpickle’s yomi skill chart shows all three of Rook/Lum/Gwen as being favored against Quince, and Rook having a better matchup against him than Geiger. Wonder what happened to produce that result.

1 Like

Geiger is harder to play well than the other three, Id imagine.

5 Likes

yup, by a ton.

2 Likes

I’m not sure we’ve had a top tier Geiger playing extensively in the time-frame covered by my data. I’ve meant to put in some analysis that covers the top players of each character so it’s easier to tell what levels the players are at.

Correction: Ryker is in the data.

3 Likes