Fenrir (Blood Anarchs) vs NikoBolas (Whitestar Order)

Yeah, I attacked Grave with Hyperion. Hyperion’s card text reads. “Haste. Attacks: Draw a card.”

1 Like

Jesus, I read that card as “Arrives: Draw a card.” and thought it was strong. Now I see it’s freakin’ amazing.

2 Likes

It’s right on the borderline of being “too good”

1 Like

Yes of course Hyperion is OP, borderline broken. It’s a 5-cost Tech 2, pretty much any Tech 2 of that cost, in whatever spec, is OP too. That’s part of the reason Codex is so great - which combination of ridiculous units/powers do you use each game? :smiley:

1 Like

Ok well I really should have killed the hyperion instead of Geiger, but let’s just say it’s a mistake I won’t make again :slight_smile: Here’s something resembling a turn:

"P1T9

StartingHand Workers

STARTING HAND
Bird’s Nest
Hidden Ninja
Sparring Partner
Focus Master
Young Lightning Dragon

WORKERS
Morningstar Flagbearer
Safe Attacking
Savior Monk
Smoker
Fox Primus
Fox Viper
Earthquake

NextHand

Hero’s Monument
Sensei’s Advice
Entangling Vines

Discard

Training Grounds
Sparring Partner
Grappling Hook
Snapback
Aged Sensei
Mind-Parry Monk
Hidden Ninja

Tech 0 card(s)
Get Paid - ($11)
Summon Rook - ($9)
Rook casts Bird’s Nest, and a couple of nullcraft-hating birds finally arrive. - ($7)
Hire Focus Master - ($4)
Hire Young Lightning Dragon - ($1)
Hire Sparring Partner - ($0)

Float ($0)
Discard 1, draw 3

[B]Board Info:[/B]
[B]In Patrol:[/B]

• :psblueshield: [I]Squad Leader[/I]: L1 Rook (2/4+A)
  • :psfist: [I]Elite[/I]:
  • :ps_: [I]Scavenger[/I]: Bird#1 (1/1)
  • :pschip: [I]Technician[/I]: Sparring Partner (2/2)
  • :target: [I]Lookout[/I]:
    [B]In Play:[/B]
  • Young Lightning Dragon (3/3)
  • Bird’s Nest
  • Focus Master (4/3) w/ 3 focus runes
  • Bird#2 (1/1)
    [B]Buildings:[/B]
  • :heart: Base HP: 18
  • :heart: Tech I HP: 5
  • :heart: Tech II HP: 5 (Discipline)
  • :heart: Tech III HP: 5
  • :heart: Heroes’ Hall HP: 4

[B]Economy Info:[/B]
[B]Cards:[/B]

• Hand: 3
  • Deck: 0
  • Disc: 7
    [B]Gold:[/B]
  • Gold: 0
  • Workers: 11
Thoughts

Well I’ve made quite a few mistakes, letting hyperion draw 2 cards each is devastating and while yes Tech II units are godly, I can’t help but notice my late-to-the-party Young Lightning Dragons don’t seem to be on the same level as his Hyperions. Nevertheless, next turn I will finally have my tech III card which could win the game in 2 turns, if he doesnt have a good response or kill me first. This game is turning the corner into an end-game, though I’m not sure what his plan is (beyond generating obscene value every turn).

Fenrir, Turn 9

Upkeep

Tech

No Tech

Hand at start of turn

Forgotten Fighter, Origin Story, Argonaut, Temporal Distortion, Immortal

Get Paid ($12)

Main Phase

I peek at the top card of my deck. Awesome.

Hyperion attacks Rook. Killing him… NO WAIT! Focus master uses a rune to save him.

Hyperion dies, I draw a card for his attack. It’s hyperion again!

I attack with Vir, Killing rook, Vir gains two levels and takes two damage.

Sentry attacks Sparring Partner and both die. You draw a card.

I summon Hyperion ($7), she attacks your tech III destroying it, two damage to base.

I exhaust Warp Gate Disciple and pay $1 to put Hive into play from my Codex. Hive has arrived ($6)

Hive arrives with five 1/1 flying stinger tokens.

I summon an Immortal ($0)

Discard 4; Draw 5

**Board Info : **

Patrol
:psblueshield: Squad Leader: Stinger (1/1 + :psblueshield: flying)
:psfist: Elite: Stinger (2/1 flying)
:ps_: Scavenger: Stinger (1/1 flying)
:pschip: Technician: Stinger (1/1 flying)
:target: Lookout: Immortal (5/5)

In Play
Battlesuits (Upgrade)
Stinger (1/1 flying)
Nullcraft (1/1 flying)
Hive (0/6 flying)
Warp Gate Disciple (1/1)
Hyperion (5/5)
Vir Garbarean (2/1)

Buildings :
:heart: Base HP: 20
:heart: Tech I HP: 5
:heart: Tech II HP: 5
:heart: TowerI HP: 4

**Economy Info : **
Cards :
Hand: 5
Deck 3
Discard 0

Hand at end of turn

Origin Story, Origin Story, Argonaut, Temporal Distortion, Assimilate.

Thoughts

Ok, lets see how he deals with this insane board. I think I can just overrun him now. I recon I can take his tech buildings every turn. And if I don’t lose my Disciple I’ll just summon more stuff…

Well, that was nicely timed. I concede. I had 2 turns to draw my tech III, but I finally drew it this turn - the turn you destroyed my tech III. My plan was to use Daigo to kill your base with 2 swings, but I couldn’t find a way to give him haste or otherwise speed that up and not drawing the monument pretty much closed the window on that. I think Vir did a lot of nice work for you smoothing draws and shuffling cards around. Hyperion is really insane since it’s quite difficult to kill and will usually draw 2 cards and kill 2 things which is a gross swing in card advantage. With battle suits of course they can kill tech buildings alone, which is really impressive. My lightning dragons were also quite late to the game and your sentry made sure they wouldn’t be very gold efficient or card efficient for me (nice tech!). The Mind-Parry Monk would have been awesome a turn earlier as well, because I had some really cool ideas for the training grounds! Also I had several turns where I imagined building a tower to kill off your Nullcraft who gave you considerable value for the small 1-time 2 gold investment, but clearly I never got around to that.

I was honestly nervous about Prynn since the beginning, but while I had a nice aggressive start I didn’t manage to transition to the late-game stuff fast enough. You also had some awesome comeback turns and I think you played very well from a losing position for a long time, so congrats man. I’ll have to work on my tech timing and maybe lean on towers even when I am P1 and being aggressive, certainly there was a turn where losing Rook was devastating (and I ended up working Earthquake, which is really sad haha).

Anyway, I’m interested to read your thoughts and see how you planned your victory!

Edit: Aha, I looked up Vigor Adept. This is my first game playing Discipline and I wanted to try out a lot of tech II, but the Vigor Adept looked a little boring. I also wanted lots of ‘3’ cost cards for Graves ultimate (which I never even tech’d in!). I think if I go Discipline again, I will try him though he is very big for his cost and I could have used a bigger body on the field since, as you noticed, I leaned heavily on my heroes.

Welp, I do believe this is a casual series, but NikoBolas teched 2 cards turn one of the first game.

Doesn’t player 2 tech 2 cards on their first turn? Maybe I’ve been playing it wrong. I didn’t tech 2 cards when I went first.

Nope neither player techs cards on their first turn.

Edit: Let me edit this, cards are not teched until the Tech phase which is technically at the end of your turn and confirmed right before your upkeep onthe following turn.

2 Likes

Ah, well good to know thanks!

1 Like